Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

No, thinking Cntl B was available, just sitting there waiting to be used by SpeedDial is stupid on their part. I blame Qatar.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Everytime I upgrade the operating system of a work Mac, git stops working.

Apple, I use the Mac to use git. I don't use git as an excuse to use the Mac. I have to do an xcode-select --install after every upgrade. Just make that part of the OS upgrade.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:29 am Everytime I upgrade the operating system of a work Mac, git stops working.

Apple, I use the Mac to use git. I don't use git as an excuse to use the Mac. I have to do an xcode-select --install after every upgrade. Just make that part of the OS upgrade.
brew install git

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:26 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:29 am Everytime I upgrade the operating system of a work Mac, git stops working.

brew install git
100% correct sir.

BTW, I am taking all contract job offers lately for MacOS/Linux "How the fuck can I just continue to work and why the fuck is the build pipeline broken?!" sort of things. While to some of us it seems like "Well duh just do this!", it actually can be completely frustrating to someone approaching a system that is supposedly just "known to work" and doesn't.. or simply doesn't because you missed some sort of checkmark or re-signing a key WTF. A sick part of me enjoys going through that frustration and documenting how to get around it so others don't have to.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

My Windows 10 computer brings up a pop up twice a day telling me that SharePoint has crashed. I have never told it to run "SharePoint," whatever that is.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hrm that's a weird one. Never even heard of Sharepoint.

I recently ran CC cleaner to not only clean up registry bs but also to identify drivers that needed updating which Win10 couldn't auto install. I noticed a pretty big improvement speed wise and crap like a game lagging for a bit while a background process did its thing went away.

I still have this odd, random issue though where I'll be playing a game and all of a sudden it will minimize; despite playing in full screen mode. I dunno wtf that is.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:13 pm My Windows 10 computer brings up a pop up twice a day telling me that SharePoint has crashed. I have never told it to run "SharePoint," whatever that is.
Do you have Microsoft Office? It's part of that.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback

Post by pinback »

We use "webdriver-manager" for our Selenium-based automation testing. Last night they made an update which broke it. If you tried this:

$ npm i -g webdriver-manager
$ webdriver-manager (anything)

...it would complain about a missing dependency.

I wrote comments on the commit that broke it, even sent them a video showing it, and got a bunch of "UMMMM" horseshit suggesting I didn't know what I was talking about, and now everyone else is showing up saying "hey fuckheads, you broke it."

It is amazing how reticent anyone is to suggest that if they changed something and people start showing up saying it's broken that maybe they might have broken it.

UMMM.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ohhh, look at that, they just fixed it an hour ago and tagged me. You're welcome, every Selenium automator in the world.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Amazon mentions on the order confirmation pages how the cost could be $125 less (or zero) if one signs up with the Amazon Prime American Express Card, which includes a $125 gift card for applying if accepted. It has a "get details" button, and that leads to what it offers (5% discount or 90 days to pay for Amazon purchases(Amazon.com, AWS, etc.) up to the first $120,000.00; lesser discounts on others. So I decide to see what would happen, so I clicked on the Apply button.

404 Page Not Found.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thanks.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Trying to log onto my investment site today do balance my books. I am asked, for the first fucking time, a goddamn challenge question for FAVORITE MAGAZINE. I do not have a favorite magazine.

I hate these dumbfuck challenge questions so fucking much, and anyone who implements this shit in their web app should be fired into the fucking sun. What a stupid fucking question. "Favorite magazine." I don't know dickshits, it's not 1979 any longer, I don't have a fucking "favorite magazine."

Flack

Post by Flack »

I have a spare gmail account I use for a few random things from time to time. I logged into it the other with my VPN turned on and it triggered 2fa. It began asking for answers to questions I never would have answered. Now it pops up with a message that says the account name and password are not enough -- I also need to answer a 2fa question that I've never seen before, or email a backup account, which I didn't set up. Essentially, an email account I have the name and password to is unusable.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:59 am Trying to log onto my investment site today do balance my books. I am asked, for the first fucking time, a goddamn challenge question for FAVORITE MAGAZINE. I do not have a favorite magazine.
How about the 30 round magazine? A reasonable choice for extended target practice where not prohibited by state magazine limits.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Easy. Penthouse. I wouldn't ever forget that security question.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

All my security questions have the same answer.

What was the name of your first dog?.......Fucker

What was the name of your favorite high school teacher?.....Mister Fucker

What was the first car you owned?.........a fucker

what was your father's middle name?.........fucker

it makes it so easy to remember.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I called my ex-roommate (306B) Rick Palin, to have a chat. Somehow, the phone app went into a mode I don't recognize, something like a 'send messages while on a phone call' mode and the thing that disappeared is call control. The dialer works - you can call another party - but the user interface, allowing you to turn off the speaker, or to hang up the call, are gone. This means, when he tells me he has to go, I can't hang up on him! Even doing a force-stop on the phone app does not help, it still hangs on to the call like grim death (or I was a 9-1-1 agent). I finally had to restart my phone. That finally hung up the call.

Ice Cream Jonsey

This has to be my last year using TurboTax.

Intuit is one of the most worthless corporations in the world. They got their hooks into us. They lobby for tax code in the US to be complicated. They have caused more fights between my spouse and I than any other thing in the world. This has to be the last year I use them. I hate them so goddamn much.

Just to fucking log in today it was:

1. Password
2. Prove you're not a robot!
3. Let's text you a code

Password works, password is good. That's all. That's all you need. If you ever do anything MORE than a password, FUCKING DIE.

At some point you have to ask: Intuit exists solely to rent-seek. To sponge off the work of others. Are their not traitors to the United States of America? Taxes could be three clicks. Is it not time to consider everyone who works at Intuit as traitors to the way of life in the US? I honestly wish them all dead.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I’ve never heard good things about TurboTax. I liked TaxAfr for a while but it also turned into garbage. The last time I filed I used the HR Block website and it actually went well.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻