General Mathematics

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Re: General Mathematics

Post by pinback »

Why were you in jail?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Ready for this? When I was 16, my boyfriend who was in his 20s got illegal cable hooked up from Jose the local crackhead, who used to work for Time Warner, for $5. I was a minor when the landlord LET Time Warner into our apartment to take photos πŸ“Έ of it hooked up to the tv πŸ“Ί. I had a warrent and when I was 19 it caught up to me. They put me in jail for 12 months for Illegal Cable! This was just after there was a law passed that foster parents could adopt 1 year and 1 day after the child was put I'm their custody. I had 1 day to get a 3 bedroom apartment. It had to be 3 bedrooms because one of my children was a boy. Welfare would not help me UNTIL I had the children in my custody. So I lost my 3 children over 1 months rent. After that I only had Noel.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

pinback

Post by pinback »

I was not ready for that.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Yeah, and Adam used the fact that my other kids got adopted and that I had been in jail before to try and go after me for full custody of Noel when she was 5. I told him, it's fine I'll just use the time to go back to school id like to have her all summer and on the weekends and that I'd agree to all of this, because I knew this was my best angle cause I knew eventually he'd fuck up, as long as we kept it out of court as I had no chance. About 5 months before you know what happened, on my birthday, he punched Noel in the face and gave her a black eye that was so damn bad you could see it on film 8 days later! Him and Marcie kept her from me for 8 days... Anyway I got full custody he got supervised visitations... you all know how that turned out.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

And queue the crickets 🏏...
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

raecoffey wrote: ↑Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:24 pm And queue the crickets 🏏...
It's Sunday. Some of us have hangovers.

That's cool though you aced your GED. I felt bad for the others at the community college that seemed to be really struggling with it. I never went to jail but school felt like jail and I quit.
(β•―Β°β–‘Β°οΌ‰β•―οΈ΅ ┻━┻

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Jizaboz wrote: ↑Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:26 pm

That's cool though you aced your GED. I felt bad for the others at the community college that seemed to be really struggling with it. I never went to jail but school felt like jail and I quit.
I'm sorry to hear that. I found a curious joy in learning.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Jizaboz wrote: ↑Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:26 pm

I forgot about hangovers. I haven't had a drop since Paddy's day 2019. I am an avid Marijuana smoker though, no hangovers there though, lol! I'm on medical Marijuana for pain, the card was given to me by Pallaitive care, not that it will matter much soon with all of the recreational dispensaries heading our way! Woo-hoo go legal weed!
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Nuuu don't let the math thread die!

I took history of mathematics and there were some cultures that didn't have a base 10 system!
Some were odd like base 8 or 12
(well I didn't mean odd odd, I meant odd... you get my drift?) other systems were huge like base 60!
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

From Google:

Why did Mesopotamia use base 60?

The theory is that the Sumerian and Babylonians were keen on the number 60 because 60 has many factors, including the first six numbers, one to six, but also 12, 15, 20, 30. This meant dividing by 60 often gives easy fractions. Much easier than say, the numbers 13 or 17.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Maybe they had a lot more fingers than we did?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

(β•―Β°β–‘Β°οΌ‰β•―οΈ΅ ┻━┻

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

AArdvark wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:21 pm Maybe they had a lot more fingers than we did?
Lmao
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

raecoffey wrote: ↑Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:08 am
AArdvark wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:21 pm Maybe they had a lot more fingers than we did?
Lmao
i work with computers. Forget the measly counting to 60. On 10 fingers, I can count to 1024!
1 2 4 8 16 - 32 64 128 256 512
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

raecoffey wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:41 am Nuuu don't let the math thread die!
Yeah, let's not. The last time that happened, it took hundreds of years to come back.
raecoffey wrote: ↑Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:41 am (well I didn't mean odd odd, I meant odd... you get my drift?) other systems were huge like base 60!
I think either you mean 'strange', 'unusual', 'non-standard;, 'bespoke', or 'unique' for the numbering systems they use. When there is something people use a lot, eventually people will move to the one that is easiest to use.

Remember I said that three of the greatest inventions of mankind were standardized numbers, the zero, and the decimal point?

This is, I think, the reason that decimal arithmetic, with the zero, positional notation (99 means 9x10¹ + 9 (or 9x10⁰)), and the decimal point, became the defacto numbering system in business, science, technology and simple arithmetic, because it is trivial for even children to learn. Had people had 12 fingers, we would have developed a base-12 numbering system (let's call it duodec) and arithmetic would use powers of 12, and fractional numbers would be expressed using the duodec point.

In computers, numbers using base 2, just 0 and 1, are in binary and are expressed as powers of 2, and fractions use a binary point.
Where computers use numbers using base 8, digits 0 through 7, they are in octal, are expressed as powers of 8, and fractions use an octal point.

Where we have numeric bases larger than 10, a general consensus is, for normal arithmetic, to use the standard roman character set, A-Z without regard to case, so that Using the standard alphabet with case-insensitive letters, 11 decimal has value 1011β‚‚, 13β‚ˆ, 11₁₀, 10₁₁, or 'b' or 'B' for every base above 11.

Where computer use numbers using base 16, digits 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F, they are in hexadecimal, are expressed as powers of 16, and fractions use a hexadecimal point.
To indicate the period being used to separate the whole number from a fraction, regardless of which numeric base it is, we have a name for it, the radix point.

This means you can go up to base 37, using 0-9, A-Z, then 10₃₇ for 37₁₀.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Tdarcos wrote: ↑Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:01 am i work with computers. Forget the measly counting to 60. On 10 fingers, I can count to 1024!
1 2 4 8 16 - 32 64 128 256 512
Before someone 'dings' me on it, I mean it's possible to count from 1 to 1024, not from 1 to 1024 factorial.

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

I remember factorial, binary and hexadecimal. I've passed exams with these topics on them before. But it is a nice refresher to read :)
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

raecoffey wrote: ↑Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:18 pm I remember factorial, binary and hexadecimal. I've passed exams with these topics on them before. But it is a nice refresher to read :)
The reason I mentioned it is I wrote here "I can count up to 1024!" and when someone else mentioned a number followed by ! I "pretended" I thought they were using that number factorial. People here can be very quick to nail me for my own hypocrisies.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Here are a few number points that some are obvious.

2 is the only even prime, which means we know all other primes are odd numbers.
A number multiplied by 5 will always have a result ending in either 0 or 5.
A number multiplied by 9 will have a digit sum of 9, e.g. 613 x 9 = 5517 = 10+8 = 9; 19632x9 = 176688 = 1+7+12+16 = 36= 3+6 = 9
There are other math systems that use intrinsic properties of numbers to make calculations easier than the standard single multiply and shift mode for multiplying two numbers. One I happen to like is the Trachtenberg System. There are others.

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Tdarcos wrote: ↑Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:40 am There are other math systems that use intrinsic properties of numbers to make calculations easier than the standard single multiply and shift mode for multiplying two numbers. One I happen to like is the Trachtenberg System. There are others.
Can you name some others? Why do you like that system? What is your definition of intrinsic here dealing with math? And can you please give me an example of one of these " intrinsic propetries" in motion, mathematically? I don't understand how anyone can try to talk about science, especially mathematics using only words.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st