Shadows Over Riva

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Shadows Over Riva

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I'm trying to do.... something with my life. I have a large number of computer-based regrets and while there is a foot of snow outside, I'm trying to do something with those regrets. I wanted to play some games that have been in my backlog for 20 years. I put in a lot of time with Fallout: New Vegas and found it fun. Now New Vegas is at the point where I can go "anywhere" in the game and I am like, hoooooooooooo boy, I miss the direction. I'm putting it down for a bit by choice.

I always wanted to finish Shadows Over Riva.

I have *memories* of playing it and playing it on an old DOS computer... I tried to start the Steam version (which is just DOSbox) and ... well... Look at this:

That's the screen that comes up. Each time one of your characters needs to do something in combat. It takes up almost half the goddamn screen!

Surely this can't be right. Surely I don't have the right resolution.

Apparently I do.

I think I must have played auto-combat mode in the past. Which I am not in the mood for. This was truly shocking. They have this beautiful SVGA setup with tactical combat and put this huge giant OUTTA DA WAY ui thing THROWIN ELBOWS blob of UI over it.

This is awful.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Re: Shadows Over Riva

Post by Jizaboz »

WTF is load "Load Game" doing in this menu? They could have replaced "What would you like to do now?" with "Action?" or "Action:". Also, MP should also be in a little graphic off to the side instead of here in this stupid menu.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

That is the third game in the Realms of Arkania series. It is based on Das Schwarze Auge (had to google that to remember the name) but it is a german paper and pencil role playing game that is basically their version of dungeons and dragons. The first game in the series, I have a good bit of experience with them, was very ambitious for the time. I can't remember the exact details but something like if you sent your party through an arctic environment without proper clothing they will succumb to frostbite and likely die or a chance to fall off bridges if crossing at night without a torch, that sort of stuff. So you really want to plan for all of the variables. Also, I can't remember if they addressed it in later games, but the first game in the series had its spell book copy and pasted directly from the original paper and pencil game and due to budget and time constraints like three quarters of the spells have no known in game application which makes things particularly tricky since the spell names are written in german or gibberish, so check out a strategy guide for at least the spells.

10/10

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pmSurely this can't be right. Surely I don't have the right resolution.
"It is right, you do have the right resolution, and don't call me Shirley."

i love the completely blank option after "load game".

Gee, I wonder what this does?

ERASE EVERYTHING ON COMPUTER. OK.

Nooooooooo!
Last edited by Tdarcos on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Billy Mays wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 pm That is the third game in the Realms of Arkania series. It is based on Das Schwarze Auge (had to google that to remember the name) but it is a german paper and pencil role playing game that is basically their version of dungeons and dragons. The first game in the series, I have a good bit of experience with them, was very ambitious for the time. I can't remember the exact details but something like if you sent your party through an arctic environment without proper clothing they will succumb to frostbite and likely die or a chance to fall off bridges if crossing at night without a torch, that sort of stuff. So you really want to plan for all of the variables. Also, I can't remember if they addressed it in later games, but the first game in the series had its spell book copy and pasted directly from the original paper and pencil game and due to budget and time constraints like three quarters of the spells have no known in game application which makes things particularly tricky since the spell names are written in german or gibberish, so check out a strategy guide for at least the spells.

10/10
I mean.. it looks like it could be a cool game. Especially if ported to Sega Saturn.

BUT DAT MENU, BRO
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Great game. Played through both 2 and 3. The 1st is... meh. 2 is the best.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:15 pmi love the completely blank option after "load game".
Paul, the option says "Computer Combat", it's just very faint.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:48 am Great game. Played through both 2 and 3. The 1st is... meh. 2 is the best.
I might give the second one a try. It seems that the menu is smaller as the CRPG Addict is playing it at the moment.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Jizaboz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:21 pmI mean.. it looks like it could be a cool game. Especially if ported to Sega Saturn.

BUT DAT MENU, BRO
If you're a giant RPG nerd like myself then it is definitely worth dropping the 12 bucks or whatever for the series on gog. Or just wish list them and wait for an 80 percent off sale. I love these sort of retro CRPGs, they lack some of the conveniences and whizbang graphics of a modern game but they have so much more depth and character and they're not trying to sell you skins or loot boxes every 5 minutes. It's not follow the shimmering trail to your next farm x of y. It's just here's a game, now sit down, relax, and get lost in the enjoyment of it.

Also, it drives me nuts when I see people talk about playing a game in a series out of sequence or skipping earlier installments altogether. Not that I am judging anyone, I just couldn't imagine myself doing something similar.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I do impressions now. Here's my impression of Riva's combat UI.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

lol I watched that a few times before I realized the woman is actually there.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻