The Let's Get RetroRomper Committed Thread

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

The Let's Get RetroRomper Committed Thread

Post by Casual Observer »

Ok, seems like Retro is having some kind of breakdown, maybe a bi-polar episode who knows. Hopefully he doesn't have any firearms so we don't have to worry about any red flag issues but sounds like another bad batch of ice cream will make him go columbine on shit. Does anyone know him or people who know him to do a safety check? We don't need another Jack Straw episode here (I feel guilty that I didn't keep in touch enought to know to reach out to him at such a low time).

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: The Let's Get RetroRomper Committed Thread

RetroRomper wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:15 pm Will need to decide whether I should engage with Mr. Robinson and break out the above to explain why every single statement is incorrect. Not simply off, misdirected, not fully understood, but complete and factual misunderstandings that I'd hope are actual lies.

But the Zyprexa, Depicote, and [???="Is this to help you sleep to avoid the mania?"]Bendrayl[/???] are kicking in, so I'll have to simply imagine how awesome of a response I would have had.
Zyprexa, Depicote

Ok, I was right, it's Bi-Polar. Retro, are you ok? How are you doing today?

ATTN SYSOPS: neither Bold nor Strikethrough are working, thank you for your attention.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

PANTS!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Thank you Casual Observer for checking in :)

No, it isn't quite bipolar and there are complications that enhance it into a far more problematic disorder. I'd enjoy taking this offline if you'd care to respond to one of my emails about giving you a tour of a few of the video game preservation projects I'm working on?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Or were working on or will be working on.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

RetroRomper wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:13 pmI'd enjoy taking this offline if you'd care to respond to one of my emails
Brian DON'T!!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer

RetroRomper wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:13 pmif you'd care to respond to one of my emails about giving you a tour of a few of the video game preservation projects I'm working on?
no, I do want to respond and sorry I've been selfish with responding to people personally, it's been a rough year what with new job and this shi and lots else. Not making fun, bi-polar is in my family and who knows about me so I'm definitely familiar and would be cool to connect.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

1. I am NOT bipolar: not even on the same wavelength.

2. Image

3. Being committed would surely hurt more than it would supposedly help.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:40 pm ATTN SYSOPS: neither Bold nor Strikethrough are working, thank you for your attention.
Stirkethrough has never worked here. I just fake it err I mean give a fake error to indicate what I otherwise would have struck out. Bold, I'm not sure about; it doesn't always work very well when you're in High Contrast mode. I did see it in the first word of the previous sentence.

I digress. Anyway, in the prior example earlier, I wanted to try to show to RetroRomper, by picking two ridiculous examples, that whatever is bothering him, "It Can't Be That Bad."

Listen, Retro, you can get over it, and you will come through it. Maybe with professional help, maybe on your own. Most people are much stronger than they realize they can be, and don't find out until they have to be.

Your ancestors survived much worse conditions than we can even imagine, and they passed on their survival traits to us.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

your bipolar

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:23 pm your bipolar
No you!

I've dealt with craziness and crazy people a lot. I don't think we have to worry about RR.. he is in his own hell just as we are in ours.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

RR is the textbook definition of bipolar.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:54 am RR is the textbook definition of bipolar.
When is the last time you read a textbook?
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

My bad. Tdarcos is not autistic and Retro doesn't have mild bipolar episodes once every year and a half. I don't know why anyone would say otherwise.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:54 am RR is the textbook definition of bipolar.
Since I love the "let's guess how screwed up Retro is" game, I'll spoil it for everyone:
Rats of NIMH wrote:People with borderline personality disorder may experience intense episodes of anger, depression, and anxiety that can last from a few hours to days.
https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/ ... ndex.shtml
Click Bait for Mental Health wrote: The intensity of the emotions of someone suffering from BPD may be disproportionate to the actual situation. My experience with clients has been that a diagnosis of BPD is like a death sentence due to stigma.
https://blogs.psychcentral.com/caregive ... -disorder/

The Psych Central piece understates how impactful those two points are: my emotional reactions are never proportionate to the actual situation. Why the closed language? Because let's say, I react normally to 40% - 70% of all situations, but drastically off the Fing rails the other 30% - 60%.

How do I validate which reactions are normal or not? What is the difference between feeling frustrated and punching holes in a wall? My favorite example is "how do you know how to cry at a funeral?" I don't because I've discovered that such a large percentage of my reactions are elevated, that if I trusted any of them, I'd likely end up worse than I am now (which is saying something).

Team it up with feelings of emotions that (and I am not exaggerating,) have been noted as being around 4 to 7 times what a normal person feels for say, anger, anxiety, sadness, etc. then couple on the fact such elevated emotional states can change on a dime or last for three or four days, then change on a dime.. It's like being two different people.

For additional funsies, every behavior pairs with another negative / harmful behavior or emotion, essentially feeding into itself. Even if properly treated (people with BPD consume at least 2.5 times as many mental health resources as regular folk and only display 75% of the improvement, by the way) there is a gap of years where the behavior will run wild without being diagnosed.

Feel lucky if you've any sort of friends or family left who will even acknowledge you by the end of it.

Welcome to my Hell.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

And oh ya, I can count on two hands the number of mental health experts of all kinds at all levels, that have dropped me once they saw the seriousness of my disorder or heard B... P.... D.... muttered on the wind.

One more fun fact! You'd think that someone with such intense emotions that are arguably Super Human would feel everything that much more intensely, including happiness and joy? Nope. The mental defense everyone with BPD seems to put up, is to disassociate themselves from ALL emotions, then purposely create other mental tricks that keep them from having any stimulus that can initiate them, causing a cascade of higher and higher rage, anger, or anxiety that builds upon itself. Because remember, emotions can last for hours or days so everything that occurs within that threshold increases and reinforces the mood.

Tick Tick Tick Up Up Up She Goes

I've purposely put myself in a room for years (and no, it wasn't padded, haha) where all I'd do is work, come back to the apartment, eat, sleep, go back to work, and drug myself enough so I'd sleep through the entire weekend.

Another one exists called "splitting"
Airing all of my mental health issues online is a great idea! wrote:People with borderline personality disorder often experience overwhelming emotions and struggle to integrate the concept that good and bad can co-exist in another person. Splitting is a psychological mechanism which allows the person to tolerate difficult and overwhelming emotions by seeing someone as either good or bad, idealized or devalued. This makes it easier to manage the emotions that they are feeling, which on the surface seem to be contradictory."
The actual article is too short and 2D for me, but it at least does offer a more relatable and sympathetic view of the whole concept: https://www.priorygroup.com/blog/unders ... y-disorder

When I say I'd be better off dead, I am in no way kidding: these mental and emotional states were never meant to be experienced or even approached, much less processed by anyone or anything that can call themselves even vaguely human.

My other favorite topic is the sense of "emptiness" or feeling "hollow" that can encompass nearly everything, but I've alienated myself enough for the time being.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Post by Flack »

That sounds like a terrible way to go through life, and it is sad that you have not been able to obtain the proper mental health treatments that would improve your quality of life.

The worst thing that happened to me yesterday was I got a sweet tea with my dinner instead of unsweet tea. Right after I took my first sip, my wife said, "hey, I got unsweet tea and ordered sweet!" Then we swapped drinks and enjoyed a hearty chuckle.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:57 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:40 pm ATTN SYSOPS: neither Bold nor Strikethrough are working, thank you for your attention.
Stirkethrough has never worked here.
Wrong. It used to work, maybe before you got here.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:39 am
Tdarcos wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:57 pm
Stirkethrough has never worked here.
Wrong. It used to work, maybe before you got here.
That's friggin' ten years ago1 Well, then, it must be Jonsey's fault. In fact, let's just say "It's all Jonsey's fault." Thus we can blame him for everything: Lost your car keys? Broke up with your girlfriend? Lost your wife to cancer? Got caught robbing a bank? It's all Jonsey's fault. Well, actually the last one is yours by not offering the cops a bribe.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

I think it probably broke when the BBS software was updated. Memory's failing right now, so not quite sure who we can blame that on. Anyone remember?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.