#1 Late Night Host of our adult lifetime

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Who is the best late night host that you can remember?

You may select 1 option

View results

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Since Jonsey resurrected an old thread about the top 5 comedians, I'm curious what people think about who is the best late night host ever. I'm voting for Letterman. Period. But other opinions are probably valid, I never watched too much of Carson and I seem to remember he was already pretty old by the time I started watching late night shows but everyone says he's the king. Nowadays I'm thinking Meyers is top followed by Kimmel then Fallon. I really thought Colbert would have been my favorite but he's awful now, I thought his sarcastic thing on his daily show spinoff was great but I'm finding it hard to watch him. Colbert is better I think with an audience, the pandemic really didn't go well for him as he doesn't seem to have any comedy timing without the feedback from a crowd. I included Conan O'Brian as I really wish he had gotten one of the late shows instead of being banished to comedy central which I never remember to watch.

pinback

Re: #1 Late Night Host of our adult lifetime

Post by pinback »

There is no other reasonable choice.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Jack Parr

pinback

Post by pinback »

Aardvark wrote: Jack Parr
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Oh, now it's a word problem. FYI, I never watched any late night shows and had to pick one that wasn't on the list, just to be a dick

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

My pick is Craig Ferguson narrowly ahead of Letterman. In addition to being a consistently funny joke teller, he revolutionized what I think is the weak point of most late night comedy shows: the celebrity interviews. Craig was a master conversationalist with an uncanny knack for getting celebs to open up and be hilarious. He could have fantastic discussions with people I was totally uninterested in. That's something that basically never happened on any other late night show I can remember. Dave actually looked bored in a lot of his interviews, and I couldn't blame him. There are only so many times you can hear an actor promote a new, completely forgettable movie and still pretend to be interested.

Dave is a solid second place pick for being the absolute funniest late night comedian at his best. I was a huge Letterman fan in 1993 and thought he could do no wrong back then. He was hilarious as a good-natured goofball and he was hilarious as a mocking, cynical, misanthrope. The thing that disappointed me with Dave is I felt like he phoned it in a lot as the show went on, particularly in the late 2000s and 2010s. I understood why he would want to given that having a late night show is a total grind and he'd been doing it for a long time even before he got his CBS show, but the bored nights usually didn't make for great television. Granted, he still had his moments even in the later years and was always funnier than Leno.

I don't have a ton of memories of watching Carson live though I do remember my parents watching him, but it's fun to go back and watch his shows now. He was great at what he did. Like Leno and Fallon, Carson wanted to host a chill show that offered a safe place for laughter and relaxation, but he had the advantage of being a lot funnier than Leno and Fallon. I've never seen anyone rescue a bad joke like Carson could, and he could do it with a facial expression. His show seen today seems like another world compared to Colbert's and Meyers' -- he didn't share his personal political views or seem to want to influence anyone's vote. He made fun of politicians when there was a good joke to be told, and it never seemed to go any deeper than that. Of course, he didn't have to live through the Trump presidency either. Advantage Carson again. Carson also set the standard for host and sidekick interactions. Doc and Ed were vital elements of the show and played off against Johnny fantastically. Whenever I see Colbert have an uncomfortable back and forth with Jon Batiste and find myself wondering why Stephen won't just leave the nice musician alone, I remember Johnny and Doc and understand.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Conan O Brian as far as people alive. His side-kicks are funny as hell too.

Liked Carson a lot as a kid. Hated when Leno got his job but eventually he was ok I guess. Letterman was only good because of skits, guests, and canned hams.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Colbert is #1 now, followed by Trevor Noah. It used to be Jon Stewart until he stopped.
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

While I voted for Carson, there is one person that has been completely forgotten, the one person Johnny had guest host for him more than any other, and if they hadn't had a falling out, Carson probably would have picked them as his replacement.

Joan Rivers

I believe if she hadn't decided to host a competing talk show against him, he would have picked her instead of Leno.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Joan Rivers was funny, tDarcos is right about that.