Actual great computer things

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Actual great computer things

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

VSCode has a area on the side of itself that lets you search everywhere for text. This is BRILLIANT. Searching for other stuff I did is most of what I do. And it's just *there* to be used. No more guessing where the developers put "Find some text in every file but not a binary" command, which other IDE creators and text editor creators love moving around.

The other thread is filled to bursting with sarcasm, so this can be the sincere one?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Re: Actual great computer things

Post by AArdvark »

Like programming stuff that makes sense and is useful? Hum, that is a good idea for a thread. Like that side nudge in win7 that sticks the floating widow to half the screen, stuff like that

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I use the terminal a lot. Really, really a lot. I like to be able to tell the computer exactly what I want in the language of computer gibberish, and it does it. So one of the best things ever for me is the Yakuake program. I press F12, the terminal comes down, just like the console in Quake. I press it again, it's gone. No more alt+tabbing and searching the task bar for the terminal window.

So yeah, id software invented one of the most useful features in computing for me.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:59 am So yeah, id software invented one of the most useful features in computing for me.
Yeah! Quake 1 and 2 was what got me into learning Linux many years ago.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

The bash for loop:
for i in all dat shit; do /bin/do-something-to $i; echo "there's this many in $i: $(grep -c $i)"; done

It's about %30 of my career.

Ice Cream Jonsey

#!/bin/bash

The day I memorized that, the day I saw things as they truly were- infinite

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:36 pm VSCode has a area on the side of itself that lets you search everywhere for text. This is BRILLIANT. Searching for other stuff I did is most of what I do. And it's just *there* to be used. No more guessing where the developers put "Find some text in every file but not a binary" command, which other IDE creators and text editor creators love moving around.

The other thread is filled to bursting with sarcasm, so this can be the sincere one?
I cannot overstate how much I love that it is just there in VSCode. Best thing Microsoft ever did since the original Flight Simulator.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Google's search function includes some machine learning, so that when you search for something it will
* Find stuff with words that are equivalent to what you used in addition to the one you used
* If you've done some misspelling on search terms, it will warn you that it is searching for what it thinks you meant, but gives you the option to use exactly what you said. I don't know how many times I've noticed it was right and it got exactly what I wanted to search for, because it didn't do what I told it to do. "It's not the search you wanted, but the search you need," - The Dark Knight
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

And we are in agreement that we don't want that for an IDE.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have had two posts saved by Chrome letting me re-open tabs that I closed accidentally. Cntl + Shift + T on Windows. They nailed it with this! I would have given up my Fallout blogging tonight if not for this feature. This is an actual great thing - cool that they are saving what you are typing into forms. I have a smile on my face because computers saved my work for me tonight.