Steve Jobs and Joni Ive destroyed tech

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Steve Jobs and Joni Ive destroyed tech

Post by Casual Observer »

This could go in "great moments in computer programming" bit it's much worse than that. I believe thesr two fuckers are responsible for the disappearance of buttons in tech. Jobs is dead but Joni should be drawn and quartered for his shit. I have a beautiful curved Samsung 65' whose remote just broke (my fault involving spilled wine). You can't operate the TV without a remote, fine. I have an xfinity remote that can operate it but the TV has to be on first so I needed a way to turn it on. After an hour of research, it turns out that wherever the red power light is there should be a power button. It took using my cell on selfie video mode to find a microscopic button next to the light on the goddamn bottom of the TV. I'll post a Pic of this tech travesty when I've gained some composure after this ordeal.

I get the old saying that as tech evolves it will fade into the background, be less noticeable but I still see my devices in front of me. Can anyone answer, what's the problem with having buttons?

AArdvark

Re: Steve Jobs and Joni Ive destroyed tech

Post by AArdvark »

Obsolescence, everyone is just going to ask Magic Voice to turn on the tv in the future

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Shenzhen. Somehow a capacitance sensor is INFINITESIMALLY less than a rubber-dome switch so that's what you get.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I think all of "Jony Ive's" work is shit. Even his name is pretentious
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:13 am I have a beautiful curved Samsung 65' whose remote just broke (my fault involving spilled wine).
Wait a minute, you have a 65 FOOT WIDE TV SET!? Jesus Christ! Where the hell do you keep it, in a former drive in?

Seriously now, ' means feet, " means inch. If that was a typo, fine, I've teased you enough, but if you have them wrong, you need to fix your usage. (I'm betting on typo.)
Casual Observer wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:13 am You can't operate the TV without a remote, fine.
This has been a cough cough bug cough feature for more than 20 years now. With cable systems potentially having over 100 channels, going to a specific channel by hand, using an up or down button, positioned such that you can't view the TV at the same time, the TV was effectively unusable without a remote.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

The problem is, companies see what Apple Computer does and copy them, because they see it's successful and rich, but instead of copying only the good things customers really want, they copy the shit things that Apple, Inc. shoves down their throat. Louis Rossman gives one example: Samsung, previously shamed Apple in TV ads because their phones still had an SD slot and headphone jack, and Apple's iPhone does not (I believe both support Bluetooth, but the iPhone uses it exclusively.) Guess what features Samsung has removed from their phones? If you guessed "headphone jack and SD card slot," you'd be right. Let me guess what the next "improvement" Samsung will make to its phones? How about gluing the battery to the motherboard so you can't replace the battery!? (If you say you're not supposed to answer a question with a question, I say you're not supposed to build a device that says "fuck you" to your customers!)
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.