#vanlife

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

#vanlife

Post by Flack »

Thanks to all the Gabby Petito/Brian Laundrie news coverage, I was exposed to the hashtag "vanlife," which is a hashtag used by people who convert vans into campers and use them as their primary residence for periods of time.

Conceptually these vans have a lot in common with tiny homes, but at their core they are opposite approaches to living small. Tiny homes, despite what you might think, are not particularly mobile. The typical twists and turns of being on the road can wreak havoc on traditional construction found in tiny homes, causing nails to pop out and supports beams to twist and bind after only a few moves. Vans, on the other hand, are vehicles. They're designed to be driven, and many members of #vanlife sleep in a different place every night.

So what's the difference between an RV and a van? Price, for one. Depending on the size, I've seen Class C RVs ranging between $10,000 and $100,000. Vans can be obtained for far, far less. Another difference is that an RV doesn't work well as a daily driver, which is why you see so many of them towing another vehicle. A converted van can also be used as an in-town vehicle once you arrive on site. Another big difference is "stealth camping."

Stealth camping is about what it sounds like. With a van that looks like a traditional passenger van or utility vehicle from the outside, you can park and camp just about anywhere. Many of these vans have never seen the inside of an RV park, opting to sleep in parking lots and quiet neighborhoods instead. For those wanting access to utilities, there's a network you can join for $50/year that gives you access to nearly 3,000 people's driveways and private property to park at.

When you buy an RV, you get a product that someone else designed. Camping vans are the opposite. None of these people are buying pre-conversion vans. They're doing all the work themselves. On the low end you've got people adding a cot, a propane stove, and some water tanks. On the high end I've seen heated wood floors, beds on motors that lower from the ceiling, and all sorts of Transformer-esque technology. Some of them have composting toilets and built-in showers and some have a bucket full of sawdust and a hose connected to cold water for rinsing off. Like anything, the only limit is your imagination, skillset, and pocketbook.

And maybe it's their age, but all these #vanlife people love the social media. They document their builds and travels, what they got right on their van and what they would change. And unlike some old ugly retired couple hanging out in their RV in Florida, most of these vanlife people know their angles and look like this:

I'm never going to live in a van, but I am enjoying watching videos of other people doing so. Who would have thought that living in a van down by the river would become an enviable lifestyle?

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: #vanlife

Post by Casual Observer »

Flack wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:50 am there's a network you can join for $50/year that gives you access to nearly 3,000 people's driveways and private property to park at.
Please post a link to this when you have a chance. I'm thinking I might have to set my brother in law up with something like that. All of the RV parks in the area have waiting lists so I was thinking I would have to get him an RV and just keep moving it around to different streets and sometimes park him in Walmart's lot. This would be a much better solution.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:42 pm
Flack wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:50 am there's a network you can join for $50/year that gives you access to nearly 3,000 people's driveways and private property to park at.
Please post a link to this when you have a chance. I'm thinking I might have to set my brother in law up with something like that. All of the RV parks in the area have waiting lists so I was thinking I would have to get him an RV and just keep moving it around to different streets and sometimes park him in Walmart's lot. This would be a much better solution.
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com

As for free parking there are less options for RVs than converted vans, but there are still several to choose from. Along with Walmart, apparently Bass Pro, IHOP, and a few other chains also offer free parking to RVs. Like Walmart every location is different, so it's best to call ahead.

I spent the past couple of days watching videos of real stealth campers. These are mostly people who have converted minivans like the Nissan NV200 and the Chevy Uplander into camping vehicles. Because they look like normal minivans from the outside, they can literally park, hide, and camp anywhere, parking along busy streets, in parking lots, and even in residential neighborhoods. It makes me wonder how many campers I may have unknowingly driven by.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »