Best place to get a great deal on laptops/computers?

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Best place to get a great deal on laptops/computers?

Post by Casual Observer »

All, I haven't bought a computer for myself in a very long time but that time has come. I need to buy a decent second laptop so I can keep my wife in slave labor all day researching names for me, now that da old job wants theirs back. As far as I can tell TigerDirect seems to have great prices but do you guys know anywhere else to get a screaming deal on a laptop?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Best place to get a great deal on laptops/computers?

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Newegg is usually good. The name is awful but I bought a "CyberPowerPC" for my dad about three years ago and it was and is a great computer. Throw a 3080 in it and it would scream for the next 8 years.

But yeah, the thing with laptops right now is that if you try to get a sub-$400 one there are compromises with RAM and whether or not they dumped spyware on it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Now is not the time to be buying a computer.

..or a PS5
..or a car
..or anything with a chip in it made after 2012.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:36 am Now is not the time to be buying a computer.

..or a PS5
..or a car
Ooh, please tell me more. Is it China?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Would you buy a stolen laptop?

Casual Observer

AArdvark wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:16 pm Would you buy a stolen laptop?
Yes, as long as it has a fresh os.

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's got a stolen OS!! The OS is "Red Hot"!!!

HONK HONK

Aaaaayiyitiyiyiyiyiyiyiiyiyiiiitiitiitiititkgkkyiyiyiyiyiiiiiiiiii

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:07 pm
Jizaboz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:36 am Now is not the time to be buying a computer.

..or a PS5
..or a car
Ooh, please tell me more. Is it China?
No, it's Taiwan. There are only two manufacturers of 7 nanometer chips: Taiwan Semiconductor Manufactur8ing Company (TSMC) and Samsung. Intel has been trying to get there, but they can't seem to break the 10NM barrier. They want to develop 5NM chips and are going to be spending about $100 billion to build 10 new fabs. But TSMC is also going to spend $100 bil to make new fabs.

A world-class chip fabrication plant costs about $10 billion and will take about two years to build. Intel is building one in Prescott, AZ near another major manufacturer whom I've forgotten.

The problem is the supply chain, a complex linkage of suppliers and customers where each one provides a part of the whole puzzle. There are approximately 700 steps involved in turning sand into processor chips. Nobody actually knows how to make processor chips starting from sand, they each know how to do one thing, and eventually it all comes together and processors get made. Covid-19 broke the supply chain for everything, and until things catch up, it's going to take a while to rebuild it. So there is going to be shortages in everything, probably until 2022 or '23, depending on how long it takes to rebuild the logistics networks of the supply chains.

For example, truck drivers are only paid by the mile or by the load, at least for non-union drivers and independents. It used to be possible to get in and out of a port in maybe 2 hours. Now, it's taking so long due to delays that they can lose an entire day. Which they aren't getting paid for. Which means fewer trucks will accept loads from or to major seaports unless paid a premium. Which raises the cost of the goods. Truck drivers ain't stupid; they aren't going to take a load they lose money on. At least, not more than once. So either they pay more to drivers or loads aren't getting off the docks except verry slooowly.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Right yeah. What Tdarcos said. While I’m not sure I agree with the cost numbers and all, this chip shortage is the reason you have such a hard time buying any new tech lately.. and if you do manage to then you are going to be paying more in many cases.

Also, Sony has been talking about creating their own chip factory. Japan is already realizing it’s time to start making more stuff themselves. Having to depend on China or Taiwan too much is just a recipe for disaster. It’s my opinion we should be building chip factories in Mexico. Mexican factories turn out good products, they are much closer to us, and I’m all about making Mexico a better and safer place to live than it is now.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Darn, they'd have to install doors in That Wall

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:19 pm Right yeah. What Tdarcos said. While I’m not sure I agree with the cost numbers and all,
If you think my numbers were wrong, watch this. It's only about twenty minutes. Then, if you want a few more details, the other video is about ten minutes.

And, as I said, this one is ten:

Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Casual Observer

So a re-furbished laptop is my best option in 2021?

Ice Cream Jonsey

No. Buy new, Tdarcos doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Newegg had great Black Friday deals, CO, and I realize I am saying this later than anyone could want. :(

Casual Observer

Well, thanks a lot for the belated information. Kidding, I already bought a refurbished desktop that will get me by.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm getting a used Xbox going for a nephew for Christmas. NBA2K won't run unless a 22GB patch is downloaded.

Asteroids Recharged was released today. I don't have any games I can only play on the Switch I bought months ago, so I bought it through there. It needs a patch that will take 24 minutes to load.

I remember BC Quest for Tires taking forever to load on a Commodore 64. Absolutely nothing has changed on 40 years. If anything it's worse.

Casual Observer

Update on this, the firing was so bad all I had to do was ask for 3 zoom recordings and they're like"oh, sorry theyre deleted, hey why don't you keep the laptop and is there anything else we can do to help?" Haha fuckers.

Ice Cream Jonsey

They gave you the laptop because of how they let you go?

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:52 pm They gave you the laptop because of how they let you go?
Yeah, they said can we have the laptop back and I said my family's lawyer said I should ask for these 3 zoom recordings (a lie). 4 days later they said no recordings left, nevermind (please don't take action). in this country we unfortunately have at will employment but there are options for recourse for a bad firing, the US Employment commission or whatever, then legal plays. And their Amsterdam"people team" apparently knows this.

Another update, apparently this got the US sales manager fired. This is a guy so creepy as to listen into calls without warning and slacking his stupid opinion during the call. He hasn't changed his LI page so he's more unemployed than me.