Jimmy John's

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jimmy John's

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

My wife drove to the one near us to get food. They aren't open, apparently they have nobody to staff the store.

The (one time?) owner of this place is a big game hunter. Loves shooting tigers and lions. Not sure if he is still around. We stopped going there because of the animals but the last time we picked between Jimmy John's and another place, on the drive there I was distracted and ran over a condor, so we started going to JJ's again.

These companies will do EVERYTHING and ANYTHING except paying people more. Hope they leave the area, the cheap fucks, and some other business moves in.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: Jimmy John's

Post by Casual Observer »

Burger Kings here close at 8:00 because they apparently can't find enough people who barely speak English to screw up my order.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:51 pm My wife drove to the one near us to get food. They aren't open, apparently they have nobody to staff the store.

The (one time?) owner of this place is a big game hunter. Loves shooting tigers and lions. Not sure if he is still around. We stopped going there because of the animals but the last time we picked between Jimmy John's and another place, on the drive there I was distracted and ran over a condor, so we started going to JJ's again.

These companies will do EVERYTHING and ANYTHING except paying people more. Hope they leave the area, the cheap fucks, and some other business moves in.
Most of the fast food restaurants around here are hiring and paying $12-$13/hour. The Del Taco next to me is paying $12 and can't get people to apply. What do you think a fair wage for assembling tacos is?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It's lines like 'running over a condor' that keep me coming back here every three hours.

If they aint getting that big 15 per hour they aint working. I wonder if that is what's driving up the inflation to record highs?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:17 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:51 pm My wife drove to the one near us to get food. They aren't open, apparently they have nobody to staff the store.

Most of the fast food restaurants around here are hiring and paying $12-$13/hour. The Del Taco next to me is paying $12 and can't get people to apply. What do you think a fair wage for assembling tacos is?
The place out here would probably have staff if they hired for 20 an hour. So somewhere between what they are offering and 20. But!!! It may be 20. Or more?

I remember writing about Del Taco when I first moved out here, so the corporation is at least 25 years old. If Del Taco hasn't been saving money for an occasion like this over 25 years, to where they can overpay workers to get the best talent and stay in business, then whoever has been running that corporation is pretty dumb and should resign. They probably DO have the money, and Jimmy John's, but the reality of the situation hasn't hit them.

I can tell you one place that is always open, JitB.

Flack

Post by Flack »

We can pay people $20/hour to make tacos and then the price of tacos doubles. The headline everyday is how inflation is going up. I don't understand what people want.

The sushi place I go used to pay $10/hour. In 2019 they raised everyone's pay got rid of their sushi chefs and replaced them with a robot thing that rolls and makes the sushi. Now they pay $15/hour. Six months ago they got rid of the front counter help. You have to order using their kiosk or with their phone. So, congrats to the one guy left who makes $15/hour now.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Commander Tansin A. Darcos, what would YOU do to combat inflation, yet ensure that fast food workers keep up with inflation?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah, I'm in the boat where I don't think you should make more than about 10-12 per hour working most fast food places (ie; being a cook at Bojangles is a fuck ton harder and messier than putting together tacos at Taco Bell) in my area. I'm probably just biased though because I worked for 5.25 an hour at BK for almost 2 years around '97.. and at only a few more dollars per hour working construction temp jobs in horrible weather after that a few years.

These can be cool places to work if you are younger or elderly (living with your parents or collecting retirement/SS) but aren't really meant to stay at long unless you become a manager.

I like JJ sandwiches, but I only eat one off the menu: the "Vito". Basically an Italian sub with no mayonnaise. I like how fast I can get in and out of there instead of standing around.. even if they only have 2 people there. But yes.. the grand owner of JJs is a total piece of shit.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

A franchise owner of a Jimmy John's pays 6% to the main corporation and 6.5% for "marketing."

Rather than not being open because they can't afford to pay workers, I propose they pay 3% to corporate and 0 dollars this year and next for "marketing."

Boom, I solved it, the local franchise can now pay market rates to workers dealing with the filthy public during a pandemic and also -stay open- and all it took was some faceless corporation that was once and maybe currently headed up by an ivory poacher making a little less money than they previously did.

Which is why the shitbags that run the parent company would never, ever, ever accept those terms.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:07 am A franchise owner of a Jimmy John's pays 6% to the main corporation and 6.5% for "marketing."

Rather than not being open because they can't afford to pay workers, I propose they pay 3% to corporate and 0 dollars this year and next for "marketing."
Agreed. Especially if you already got business to begin with because you paid to sport the corpo name. Who the hell needs more Arby’s commercials when there are only 3-4 people still running an Arby’s while mad coupons are still being handed out?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:20 pm I remember writing about Del Taco when I first moved out here, so the corporation is at least 25 years old. If Del Taco hasn't been saving money for an occasion like this over 25 years, to where they can overpay workers to get the best talent and stay in business, then whoever has been running that corporation is pretty dumb and should resign. They probably DO have the money, and Jimmy John's, but the reality of the situation hasn't hit them.
Flack's later comment hits a lot of this on the head, but also, the owner may have figured his customers are price-conscious or price-sensitive, and believes he can't raise prices to cover the extra cost. Just because he can do expensive hobbies does not necessarily mean he's rich enough to pay more, he may be living beyond his means, and financing his lifestyle. Or he may be a cheap son-of-a-bitch, and is either unable or unwilling to understand that now-former fast-food employees are no longer willing to do shit jobs for shit wages. Either you improve the job, so it isn't a hellhole, or you pay enough to compensate for the unpleasant job. There is also another reason, I'll link to Louis Rossman's video below, as he explains, from both the viewpoint of an employer who lost zero people in his business during the pandemic, and are very loyal to him, even as he admits he's probably not a nice boss.
Flack wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:59 pm We can pay people $20/hour to make tacos and then the price of tacos doubles. The headline everyday is how inflation is going up. I don't understand what people want.
Louis Rossman explains that, too. The TL;DR of his video is that being able to improve your lifestyle is the carrot dangling from the stick of life. The average person was able to reach the carrot of a better life. Now people are seeing the carrot is now attached to a moving vehicle. No matter how fast you run, you can't catch it, and if you stop to take a breath, it gets even further away. The average (male) high schooler has zero chance of doing what their father and grandfather did: work honestly, save enough for a down payment and buy a house. By the time you retire, you'll own your own home. But housing prices are going up exponentially while wages have been stagnant or rose very little. So a lot of them may be dropping out, refusing to be part of a rat race you can't win. And girls are doing the same thing, dropping out, for essentially the same reason: things will never get better for them.
Flack wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:59 pm sushi place I go used to pay $10/hour... raised everyone's pay got rid of their sushi chefs and replaced them with a robot ... Now they pay $15/hour... they got rid of the front counter help... congrats to the one guy left who makes $15/hour now.
I have said that the only reason restaurants have staff is the high cost of automation. There is no reason that most quick-service restaurants can't be fully automated. Harry Harrison, in his book, A Stainless Steel Rat is Born tells about a completely automated fast-food restaurant that's an expy of McDonalds. A delivery guy loads the backroom storage with the things needed to make meals. When a customer at a kiosk/delivery door places an order, his payment is accepted, the delivery system dispenses everything for their order, flash-cooks it, bags it, drops it in the delivery slot, and the door opens. Once finished, the door closes and that kiosk waits for the next order. Robotic janitors go through the place and sterilize everything as customers leave the area. There are no employees at all. The delivery person - who might be the owner - collects any cash inserted in the machine. Everything is counted, weighed and portioned; there is no waste, no erroneous orders, and no thumb-fingered employees to fuck up the customer's order.

The reason they're not doing this is two-fold: (1) automation technology is expensive, there is a big capital cost, even if the operational cost is very low; (2) (A) the full suite of equipment isn't there yet to fully automate a restaurant; (B) the cost of automation of an existing location is still more than hiring live people; (C) nobody has put all the pieces together to do it.

I expect the cost-benefit calculation is going to eventually make 100% automated order taking, food preparation, and delivery in quick-serve restaurants is coming, probably sooner than we would have expected. Covid-19 changed office work; companies who would never have considered working from home had no choice, and if it could be done during a pandemic, why do we have to come back into work? So, it's very difficult to find people willing to do fast-food work, let's eliminate the people. You can already order and pay at a kiosk; food can be cooked by automated equipment (a lot of the work is already automated), all that's necessary is an automatic food wrapping and packing system, plus something a bit more advanced than a Roomba. If your place has no dine-in facilities, you don't even need a janitor, make the entrance waterproof and hose the place down when no customers are present.

Maybe even have all liquids used for cleaning saved by recycling them. Wash water is drained into a holding tank. Solids are filtered out and trashed. Filtration purifies both recycled water and additional public water added as needed. This water is poured into the cleaning tank where it's heated above 160 then mixed with detergent and used to clean systems as needed, then they are rinsed with clean water, and the cycle starts all over.

Here's Louis:

Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I tried actually listening to the first video but after five minutes of breathless rambling by the guy I gave it up as a poor effort.

Also: the Stainless Steel Rat series is one of my favorites!

THE
BISHOP LIVES!
AARDVARK

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

Seriously? People need living wages.

Yours truly just wrote an e-mail to her union saying (paraphrasing) "WTF, if we're not under contract we can strike, right?, so why are we still "negotiating in good faith" with the district that laid off 1/4 of our union for BS a few years back while they drag this out? if we're at 60% staffing, this is the time to actually get us fair wages."

F*ck exploitation, and (@ JONSEY) the one condor you kill by accident is sure as hell not worth supporting the death of the big game some a$$hat is murdering intentionally, while also wracking up airline miles and adding to carbon footprint, 'cause it's a pretty fair bet he didn't buy into terra pass. But, you know, excuses and sh*t.

Seriously though, I know it's pretty much impossible to live a life devoid of exploiting others, but do you at least e-mail the companies and ask them to not be absolute dicks?
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I had JJ's once and did not care for the product.

If Jersey Mike starts lopping the heads off of baby giraffes, then I'll have to do some soul-searching.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah Jersey Mikes is better.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

loafergirl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:18 pm @ JONSEY) the one condor you kill by accident is sure as hell not worth supporting the death of the big game some a$$hat is murdering intentionally, while also wracking up airline miles and adding to carbon footprint
Wait, are we now talking about the owner of Jimmy John's or Kyle Rittenhouse?