Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Post by AArdvark »

Update: I fired up my Windows laptop, spell-checked the file and re-saved it to floppy. Total time...10 minutes. It would have taken me that long just to research the internet for the commands to grant me the permission.

I want Linux to be a success, I'm rooting for Linux (pun) but Linux keeps on being the really cute niece with too many chromosomes.

THE
SHORT FRONTSIDE BUS
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

I have been paid to operate Linux for over 20 years and never once have I been tempted to install a desktop version in any capacity whatsoever.

[EDIT] swapping out the 2011 video with a better 2015 one (TIDDYS):

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The Happiness Engine wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:13 pm I have been paid to operate Linux for over 20 years and never once have I been tempted to install a desktop version in any capacity whatsoever.

[EDIT] swapping out the 2011 video with a better 2015 one (TIDDYS):
The IDEA of it is great, man. There's just so much janky shit it never works.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

The Happiness Engine

Nerds can't build a UI. OSX 10.7 or so was the high point, and then Apple had to ruin it. I still make work buy me a macbook because BSD in a fairly-coherent UI is just too useful, but FUCK if I would give Tim Apple a single dollar of my own money.

(Also the keyboard is completely useless now and impossible to type on. The black 13" 2008 or so was the high-water mark of design. mag-charger, battery that told you how full it was, good keyboard, portable. Great for DC trips to fuck-knows-where. Gave it away when my next company gave me my next laptop, miss it ever since.)

If you REALLY want to try and run a Linux for a workstation, try Mint. I feel filthy just for typing that.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Mint wouldn't run Steam for me when I had it 6 or so years ago.

So I fucken reformatted that shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

All I want to do is move text files to and from a floppy without any issues.
Is that so hard?

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:24 pm All I want to do is move text files to and from a floppy without any issues.
Is that so hard?
Can I interest you in trying an alternative OS?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Funny, Mint was the first distro I tried but my sound wouldn't work....sigh.

Then I put Lububtu on it but that has a different set of problems. Finally settled for Kubuntu, which works 99% of the time.
Except for usb floppy permissions. Maybe today I will dig around in the terminal window and get it working.

THE
LINUX NEVERLAND
AARDVARK

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

You all sound like entitled millennials.

I've been using Linux since 1996, and it's been my main OS since 2007. It's fine.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I'm an entitled Gen Xer and I want to speak to your supervisor!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:59 am I'm an entitled Gen Xer and I want to speak to your supervisor!
Shut the fuck up, Karen.

----
"Can't you stop saying 'fuck' all the time?"
- Elvira, Scarface
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:01 pm
AArdvark wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:59 am I'm an entitled Gen Xer and I want to speak to your supervisor!
Shut the fuck up, Karen.

----
"Can't you stop saying 'fuck' all the time?"
- Elvira, Scarface
hahahaha
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

All I want to do is right click on the floppy icon and have it format., Why wont it let me do that? it's not even an option, OK fine, all I want to do is remove the old files from the floppy drive to make more space for the new files, It wants me to have root permission, but NOT through any GUI interface. I guess i don't understand why this is such a difficult operation.

THE
BACK TO THE
WINDOWS MACHINE
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Done. Total time on my Windows laptop...1 minute, and that includes bootup time. I spent the last two hours trying to delete files from my usb floppy drive in kubuntu and I failed, I just don't think it should be that difficult.

THE
BASIC OPERATIONS
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I got it, finally. Every time I want to overwrite or remove files from my floppy drive alI have to do is type in:

'pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin'

It pops up a message that reads something like...'Running Dolphin as root can be dangerous, please be careful'

Geez, what was I thinking! Well, wasn't that seamless

THE
WAY WAY TOO LINUX
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

The "issue" is that filthy casuals can't access HW but nerds can't be bothered to fix that for non-root accounts. It's the worst thing in the world but I ALWAYS `sudo su -` whenever troubleshooting at work because I need to see Things.

"Every user has a named account and mine is named 'root'."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What's HW? And what does sudo su do for you?

The Happiness Engine

HW: hardware, Linux is bad with it because Reasons. Typically only root is allowed to fuck with devices, because in a multi-user system you don't want Account12 fucking directly with the monitor inputs or what have you. This breaks down A LOT on a personal machine with pretty much only one user. Since shit like a CDROM or a USB stick is in the same category Unix was not designed in the 70s to deal with that kind of shit from the 90s. It's "better" now, but it still sucks.

"sudo su -" If I am in the magic file (/etc/sudoers), I can become root with my own password and not need to know/type some other password. If you have the root password "su -" with the root password becomes root, which has unlimited Windows-style permissions to Break Everything. I do not recommend operating Linux in this fashion. Closed course. Do not attempt.

IMPORTANT: never edit /etc/sudoers and only use visudo. if you don't know vi, you probably don't want to be poking that in the same way you don't want your neighbor to jet the carburetor on your lawn mower.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I aint messing with it. I suppose all the password stuff is why Linux is so bulletproof compared to Big W

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Never sudo install python packages or shit you expect to run as a normal user. Sudo for things like updates and software installs is normal.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻