Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Post by AArdvark »

Well that was easy. I grabbed TeamViewer and loaded it on my Linux desktop and my Windows laptop. I want to try it out while both machines are in the same room (on the same desk!) so I don't have to run up and down stairs until I know it works the way I want it to work. Pretty flawless overall. It's slow as hell on the laptop cause the wireless card is old and far away from the router but it works. I'm typing this on my Windows machine going through my Linux machine and out to you.

The next step is to fire up the big tower downstairs and have both them both wired up to the network and see how that goes. I'm thinking that I can use the tower as a headless media server for the TV and also use it's fast cpu and big ram to speed things up while I remain upstairs at the desktop.

THE
PROJECTS PROJECTS
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:42 pm Image

Every couple of years I try this and I just decided to try it again ... okay, the mission for this Ubuntu installation:

- I hook the joystick I bought from bxfoundry up at all times.
- It's always ready to play three retro games, to be determined. One of which will be Begin.
- I am going to try to put Steam on it and have a couple simple games there. Metal Slug 3 or whatever.

Baby steps.
Wow, re-reading this thread, this actually worked for me. Been using it every day since I brought it online. I usually have the ifMud logged in and displaying that when it is doing nothing else.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:27 pm I'm thinking that I can use the tower as a headless media server for the TV and also use it's fast cpu and big ram to speed things up while I remain upstairs at the desktop.
Something tripped me up when I tried to have one of the computers headless in the place I lived in 2 houses ago. I was in a situation where my main computer was down a trap door. I think the deal I had is that I wanted to have a Linux machine be headless and just remote into it using VNC. The deal was that whatever I tried wouldn't work because there had to be a monitor physically attached, even if it was off.

This is meant to warn you but now I don't know the details, lemme see if I can find it.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I don't have a problem with a monitor plugged in to it. I have a couple old ones floating around if its really necessary. Its the wake up remotely thing thats my biggest worry

Ice Cream Jonsey

Got it. And I guess I spoke too soon. I noticed that the computer seemed to be on and I tried to use it. Nothing. I rebooted it. I see the BIOS screen and then it goes black. Ohhhh Linux.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I believe I'm going to pitch all my old mobos and computer junk into the sea

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:50 pm I believe I'm going to pitch all my old mobos and computer junk into the sea
I hear that. I mean, I solved a computer issue by moving it. None of this is science.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I wish I had kept all my old motherboards and hung them on the wall like pieces of art.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

That's about all they're good for. Stupid things are fighting me tooth and nail. This project might not be happening after all.

Ice Cream Jonsey

What is currently not working?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well, the whole idea of a household server was kind of half-hearted on my part. It's like when your aunt Hagbag and uncle Whiskey-breath give you a stupid car model for Christmas. You kinda want to put it together but not really.

I had the tower all set with Windows, ready to go, except that it won't see the network. I tried a couple things, including running a live CD of Linux and it still wouldn't see the network. then I tried another motherboard thinking that maybe the Ethernet port is fried or something. The second mobo wont even post. That's when I knew this project was doomed. Doomed I say!

Then I got to thinking about it and realized all I need is an external hard drive hooked up to the TV. I already have the hard drive and we're getting a new television this weekend, so problem solved. I'm throwing out all my computer stuff so I never get the urge to build another tower. I'll keep the ram sticks, graphic cards, the drives and the processors in case I need replacements, everything else is getting recycled.

THE
HAD ENOUGH
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

I have two cardboard boxes that both say "PC Parts" on the side. They are filled with exactly what you described: old sticks of RAM, sound cards, and video cards. I don't think any of them would work in anything sold since my kid was born. I hang on to them because I know someday someone will be like "jeebus I wish I could find an old Soundblaster knock-off" and I will whip my cape around like Captain Chaos and hand them the card... at least that's the plan.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah it’s weird because this sort of thing actually used to be fun for us somehow. Now, we have cheap tablets and shit that just make stuff happen for the most part.

I returned 2 motherboards on my gaming machine a couple years ago until a system would just fucking post with a friends processor.. then broke down and returned for a third and bought a new cpu. Booted the first time. Fucking computers.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

That's it exactly. I don't ever want to fight to connect to my home network, I want to supply a password and ZAP, I'm there. The new TV ( we bought the last one at Sears, if that tells you anything about age) sees the external HD so I can put all my movies on that and just plug it in. It's not like I'm going to watch them anywhere else. So it's a downsize / recycle weekend!

THE
LESS CRAP
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

After being forced to upgrade to Ubuntu 20, I'm no longer able to RELIABLY PING SITES or use DNS. Linux really is a fucking bag of uselessness.

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, for the record - my WiFi connection sometimes works and sometimes doesn't on the Ubuntu computer. This is basic functionality that just fucking broke.

My Windows computer decided it was UPDATE THURSDAY YAAAY so it rebooted myself against my wishes last night.

How did it ever get like this? How is it that there is not a SINGLE FUCKING OPERATING SYSTEM that works?

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

MS-DOS still works fine. And best of all, no updates! Ever!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:25 pm I have two cardboard boxes that both say "PC Parts" on the side... I don't think any of them would work in anything sold since my kid was born. I hang on to them because I know someday someone will ... wish I could find an old [obsolete piece of equipment] ... at least that's the plan.
Probably in about 20 years or so, I expect a conversation like this:
Man 1: Hey, look at this, a 10TB SD card.
Man 2: 10 terabytes? Jesus, where did you get one of those? I haven't seen one that small in I don't know how long. Hell, I just bought a one petabyte SD for my kid's toy camera for $4.95, and an exabyte one to store my collection of 4K movies for ten bucks.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I was going to post this in the Great Computer Moments thread but it's more of a Linux-centric problem than anything else. I use floppy discs to transport my text files to and from work. At home I have a USB floppy drive to backup the files onto my main PC. Kubuntu will let me copy files from the floppy to the PC so I can spell-check them. When I attempt to move the updated files back onto the floppy I do not have permission. This is seriously a basic, age-old thing that people have been doing since there were floppies. I know, KNOW, that if I were to fire up my Win7 laptop I could do this file-moving business in five seconds. Even if I did not have permission, Windows would ask me if I would like to have permission. Kubuntu is suspiciously silent about granting me permission to write-access my own floppy drive. I consider this a failure on the creators of this (or any) Linux distro. A few months back I had a problem accessing my USB terabyte drive and I had to do a bit of sudo hoop-jumping to get it to work. This is probably more of the same issue. It's probably such an easy work-around for people that know how to do it that it never gets a fix in any release updates. Those of me that would rather just edit short stories then fight operating systems will just have to get over it and do all their text editing in Windows based systems.

THE
SHOULDN'T BE
THIS HARD
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

This is ABSOLUTELY a fuck-up about users not being able to access devices and sudo will deal with it AND it was solved somewhere around 2003 so I do not know why it's fucking you, personally, right now. This is "Linux can't deal with wireless drivers" level of dumb shit that is Supposed to Work.