Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:24 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:09 pm You get the manager? You think the manager knows what's going on? Haven't you ever worked anywhere before?
Of course, he doesn't! That's the point. If the employee didn't say, or said they can't check, that would be one thing. You point out to them that their employees are lying, in ways that get customers mad. Lying in a way that the customers can easily check will cause a lot of bad feelings. One customer, who complains or complements them, represents a large number of people who feel the same way. Criticism is taken very seriously, because there might be anywhere from 200-1000 people who say nothing, but won't shop there again.

Why do you think IKEA tried so hard to get Flack to be quiet? The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but IKEA HQ poured water on the already rusted wheel. Flack needs to make this an even louder squeak.
You think the managers down there know what is going on. OK.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

My work Macbook has a thing where I can give it my fingerprint and it will log me in.

Once a week it wants me to put my password in. It won't accept my fingerprint.

My.... fingerprint is not changing, guys. You can use that forever. Why create the feature if you're going to make me randomly enter a password anyway? Why is everyone that works on a software feature a moron?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:26 pm Once a week it wants me to put my password in. It won't accept my fingerprint.

My.... fingerprint is not changing, guys. You can use that forever. Why create the feature if you're going to make me randomly enter a password anyway? Why is everyone that works on a software feature a moron?
Using biometrics makes more sense, except it could be people complained that when they left their laptop somewhere, and tried to have someone get to information on it for them. Or maybe this is resetable. Did you try the following:

How to turn off the password on your Mac computer

1. Click the Apple icon in the top-left corner of the screen and select "System Preferences." ...
2. Select "Security and Privacy." ...
3. Untick the box labeled "Requires Password." ...
4. Enter your Mac's password in the pop-up window. ...
5. Confirm your choice by clicking "Turn off screen lock."

Set up Touch ID

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Touch ID. Open Touch ID preferences for me.
2. Click “Add Fingerprint,” enter your password, then follow the onscreen instructions. ...
3. Click the checkboxes to select how you want to use Touch ID:
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Because you haven't worked anywhere in decades, you're unaware that you are not given administrator access on any computer your company gives you to work on. Unless you have specific, personal experience with this, and are not just copying/pasting stuff from the internet.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:38 am CO, you think if you call Ikea, some minimum wage employee is running the entire length of the store and counting the number of MAXIMILLIANS they have? You think that? Or are they going to look at their website?
me wrote:Can you please verify that you have one in stock?
Total Wine Employee wrote:It says we have a case in stock but let me take a look and verify
Actual conversation I had not more than 2 weeks ago.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Flack wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:46 amMy "fam" went on the trip with me.
If I dragged my wife on a 3 hour each way drive to pick up something I wanted/needed and it wasn't there, I would be a dead man. It would start with 3 hours of driving back with nagging about "why the fuck didn't you call ahead and make sure they had it" and me saying "but, but, I checked the website, it's not my fault". Then she would kill me for the insurance money.

I literally can't get my mind around driving that far for anything and not making sure it was there. Christ, when I was 14 and could only get a floppy drive controller for my shitty Apple IIe, the closest place was like 2 hours away . . . and I called ahead to make sure it was in stock.

Seriously, how did you get the fam to stand a 6 hour wild goose chase? Did you at least take them to some shitty Oklahoma or Texas restaurant?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Man, it must be a real bummer being married to someone who doesn't like you.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer

Flack wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:12 pm Man, it must be a real bummer being married to someone who doesn't like you.
I actually agree with her about this issue. I've never liked anyone enough to be ok with them dragging me on a 6 hour drive for no reason (and to Texas of all godforsaken horrible places).

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:45 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:38 am CO, you think if you call Ikea, some minimum wage employee is running the entire length of the store and counting the number of MAXIMILLIANS they have? You think that? Or are they going to look at their website?
Total Wine Employee wrote:It says we have a case in stock but let me take a look and verify
I'm going to call that Ikea in Texas tomorrow and ask them how many shelves they have. I can GUARANTEE you that they will say 22.

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:45 pm
I'm going to call that Ikea in Texas tomorrow and ask them how many shelves they have. I can GUARANTEE you that they will say 22.
Its a bet . . . as long as you also ask them to visually verify the stocked items. You can get their name too btw, so after Flack drives there again at least someone can get in trouble for it, that's satisfying.

I guess I forget that lots of people would rather waste six hours and what, at least $40 - $50 in gas to not make a up to 10 min phone call.

Actually, I make phone calls for a living, Ill try to remember to make this call correctly tomorrow .

Casual Observer

here's the local number: (972) 641-9535 I just called to confirm, they sound pleasant.

Hey, Flack, what's the item number? I'm sure another fun family trek to Grand Prarie Texas is in order. Maybe i should offer this as a service, who knew this was a problem for everyday Americans ?

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:31 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:19 pm Maybe when you fight authority, you lose, but others do win.
I have been going out of my way to avoid bringing up what a condescending bitch boy you've been lately, because you don't understand anything and you never will, but that one is really obnoxious.
Why are you guys so mean to Tdarcos? His statement seems true to me.
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Flack wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:10 pm I know what you mean, bro. When I fight authority, authority always wins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsEwK69LXjQ

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:14 am ... Yes, motherfuckers, I want to **paste the actual URL, not your ad-tracking piece of shit garbage version of it.
I noticed that gmail now redirects any links you click on in your emails. Each time you click on one it first tells Google what link you clicked on and where it goes, then sends you to the destination site. If I knew how to code stuff like that I would write a function to stop that shit. Talk about intrusive tracking.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:09 pm I wish the LastPass Windows executable wasn't so terrible. I couldn't actually close it the other day. I had to close it from the system tray. That's secure. A password manager you can't close.
Lastpass has a large number of annoying things about it. I only use it because it sucks slightly less than all the others.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Flack wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:57 am Before leaving the house I checked their website one last time: 24 shelves in stock.
You choose.... poorly. You trusted technology. You were one of those people these days who, apparently, would rather gnaw a limb off in order to avoid speaking to a human on the phone.

Me, I would have just called the store and asked someone to go look.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:19 pm here's the local number: (972) 641-9535 I just called to confirm, they sound pleasant.

Hey, Flack, what's the item number? I'm sure another fun family trek to Grand Prarie Texas is in order. Maybe i should offer this as a service, who knew this was a problem for everyday Americans ?
Flack and I both called days ago and they said they had 22 of them in stock. You didn't get anyone to "visually check" because they don't do that.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:09 pm HCR-Manorcare of Arlington (VA). It's a nursing home.
Oh. You're older than I thought! Don't they think old people need to masturbate just like everyone else?

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Flack wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:07 am
Tdarcos wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:20 am
Flack wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:32 pm
Yeah but those of us with jobs ain't got time for that.
Well wait a minute. You have roughly 7-8 hours to travel 250 miles each way (based on an average speed of about 60-70 mph in both directions, but even at an average speed of 80 mph (and it's probably going to average less than that) it's a minimum 6 hours round trip), and spend upwards of $25 in gas to purchase an item, but it takes too long to call them and spend 20-30 minutes on the phone to verify the item is actually there?
Correct.
I share Tdarco's puzzlement at this, and for the same reasons.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:29 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 pm The commander correctly pointed out the time value of calling ahead, especially since they could even hold one for you. My bet is you prefer the time in your truck, maybe away from the fam.

Incorrect and fucking stupid.
Wait, what was incorrect or stupid about what they said? I don't get you people, you seem to think that insults and contradiction are perfectly valid answers. A discussion is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.