Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

odyssia76

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by odyssia76 »

odyssia76 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:55 pm Wait, what was incorrect or stupid about what they said? I don't get you people, you seem to think that insults and contradiction are perfectly valid answers. A discussion is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
I blame The Big Loser and his minions for this, BTW.
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I just called that Ikea again and this time they said they have 50 of them.

THE ONLY SERIOUS THING I WILL SAY IN THIS THREAD - if any of you call that number and ask, the name of the item is GRÖNKULLA. Specifically what Flack wanted was the GRÖNKULLA BILLE pronounced "billy."
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

By default, Macs make your mouse scroll wheel scroll the wrong way. To change it, you go into mouse settings, and deselect the option: "Scroll direction: NATURAL".

Fuuuuck you.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:44 pm By default, Macs make your mouse scroll wheel scroll the wrong way. To change it, you go into mouse settings, and deselect the option: "Scroll direction: NATURAL".

Fuuuuck you.
Think different.

The Home/End keys don't work either when editing text. You have to use Ctrl+A/Ctrl+E to put the cursor to the start/end of the line. What kind of retard came up with this?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ohhh I had to find some other key combo to do that! Yes, it's moronic. There's a lot that's fine with that OS, but the frigging mess that is the lack of a basic File Explorer and the idiotic end/start line thing is sooooo bad.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Steam changed the way they download updates and it's terrible.

My machine is obsessed with updating Heat Signature and A Hat in Time. Steam won't allow me to stop those games from updating. I have a bunch of games with 20 KB updates and the new interface sort of wants to pretend you can drag and drop them - but you cannot. If you try that, it kicks them out of the download queue area and goes back to updating the two aforementioned games.

Every single day I come downstairs and bring up my main computer and within 3 minutes see something so incredibly dumb and stupid THAT CHANGED, that was working fine before and was changed to be dumb and broken and moronic and I decide whether to come to this thread to post about it or not. But it's every single weekday.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

odyssia76 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:55 pm
Jizaboz wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:29 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 pm The commander correctly pointed out the time value of calling ahead, especially since they could even hold one for you. My bet is you prefer the time in your truck, maybe away from the fam.

Incorrect and fucking stupid.
Wait, what was incorrect or stupid about what they said? I don't get you people, you seem to think that insults and contradiction are perfectly valid answers. A discussion is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
unfortunately you're late to this game. We're all sociopaths here.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

RealNC wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:10 pm
pinback wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:44 pm By default, Macs make your mouse scroll wheel scroll the wrong way. To change it, you go into mouse settings, and deselect the option: "Scroll direction: NATURAL".

Fuuuuck you.
Think different.

The Home/End keys don't work either when editing text. You have to use Ctrl+A/Ctrl+E to put the cursor to the start/end of the line. What kind of retard came up with this?
Just don't use macs. Problem solved.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Sometimes I feel like one of the only people that doesn’t bitch about using a Mac. If I’m just doing work (including intensive Unity/Blender/Xcode stuff) and/or watching videos I usually don’t have any problems at all.

Don’t get me wrong though; it’s almost useless for playing games on and if when you manage it that shit gets hot quick.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

You can't just say incorrect and stupid. You have to give us something.

Tdarcos

Facebook single-sign-on fail

Post by Tdarcos »

There was a website that one of the items covers a really contentious, extremely controversial, topical issue. It had a place to post a comment. At the bottom, below the text box, is a button labeled "Login to Post". Okay, so after I entered my comment, I clicked on the button. A new window opens, and it's Facebook Authentication, where a third party has them provide a login credential. So, Firefox presents the dropdowns of all the usernames (e-mail addresses). I select paul@paul-robinson.us, and the password is autofilled. (This also means it is Facebook's authenticator and not somewhere else, like a credential stealer.)

Facebook tells me I need to authenticate, and it has sent an e-mail to my account, I need to enter the six-digit number. Now, e-mail sent to that address is auto-forwarded to my Yahoo Mail account. I open Yahoo Mail in a new tab, and interestingly enough I've gotten a message that contains the six-digit number right in the subject, so I don't even have to open the message. I tab back, put in the number, click on the submit button, and... Firefox informs me redirection doesn't work. Try again won't. So, I decide to go direct to www.facebook.com, and login there.

I can't even go to Facebook's home page! I get the same redirect error. Jesus Christ, I don't even use Facebook! The only reason I even have a fucking Facebook account is for just this reason, when 3rd-party websites use Facebook for Single-Sign-On!

I decide maybe Firefox has a problem, so I decide to use Edge (Microsoft's replacement for Internet Exploiter). I try www.facebook.com Same error, can't redirect.

Well, I've never had a problem with it before, but I think I know what it is.

To defeat ad servers, in addition to using ad-block, I use the "Enhanced HOSTS file." There is a text file which is located at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts. (no extension). There is a guy who posted on his website a very comprehensive hosts file of 141K, consisting of every advertising domain (like googleadservices.com) and reroutes them to localhost (127.0.0.1), which, since I'm not running a web server, times out and the advertisement isn't served. The default Windows HOSTS file is about 1K and has maybe a dozen items. The enhanced HOSTS file at 141K has thousands of ad serving hosts that are blocked.

So I pull the HOSTS file (renaming it) and I still get the same problem. Then I realize I read the message wrong, it says if I try clearing cookies that may fix the problem. I look up how and try it. It works! I can get to Facebook, so I go back to the message and try a repost. I get the authentication page but now, after I had authenticated as requested, it says I have to contact one of my "friends" on Facebook - some of whom are members of this board - and have them give me the aythentication token they would give me.

Fuck it, I'll just use create another Facebook Account under a different e-mail address. I'll use my Gmail account. So I do that and I am logged on, so I figure I am actually logged on, the message post request should authenticate. Nope, it keeps asking me for my old account and the access code. I ask it to resend the e-mail, and I go back to Yahoo, and I notice this e-mail:
Facebook wrote:Subject: Did you log into Facebook from somewhere new?
To:Paul Robinson

Hi Paul

It looks like someone tried to log into your account on November 6 at 5:51 PM using Firefox for Windows 10. We blocked the login and just want to make sure it was you, logging in from somewhere new.

If you don't think this was you, please log into Facebook so we can walk you through a few steps to keep your account safe.

Thanks,
The Facebook team
{/quote]
So, let me get this straight: despite the fact I answered their fucking challenge, I'm not allowed to log in, but if I want to correct the problem, I should log in to the account that it won't allow me to log in to?

So I cleared cookies again, tried to post, and this time I get the Facebook Authentication and since I am logged in on the Gmail account, it succeeds and goes back to the original website I was trying to post on. The posting box is removed, which, I figure it was accepted, the way YouTube comments are subsumed into the comment block.

It's not there. Usually the message shows up, or a notice that the message has been held pending moderation (a typical practice for extremely controversial topics, but that isn't there either.

After everything I had to do and all the hoops I had to jump through, it's all for naught.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Definitely sounds like a computer problem.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

You've Got an Enemy at Chase!

Post by Tdarcos »

My story is entitled "You've Got an Enemy at Chase!" as while I'm not sure if JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. has ever used the slogan "You've Got a Friend at Chase!" they certainly have, not a method to win friends and influence people, but instead, the abysmal performance I experienced is the type that can make you believe they hate you and ARE your enemy.

I discover (no pun intended, it's a Visa card) that my Chase credit card is missing. I think I lost it, so I'll just cancel it and have them issue a bew one. So I bring up Chase.Com and there is a big "Welcome" and "please log in" button. I click the button, a new prompt comes up where it asks for my username and password. Firefox brings up a drop-down box showing two options: a username I've used before in all UPPER CASE and the same username in all lower case. This is, in fact correct behsvior, because some websites have (the really stupid, in my opinion) "feature" (or maybe it's a bug) of case-sensitive usernames. I pick the all caps one, Firefox auto-fills the password field. I try it. Chase doesn't recognize my login, So I try the all lower case one, which Firefox auto-fills. Nope, that one doesn't work either.

Okay, I must have the wrong password, so I click on the link "forgot username/password?" This brings up a new box requesting Social Security number (quite reasonable, I fill that in) and account number (oh shit!). I try leaving the account number blank, and hit the "Next" button. I get an angry red message above the account number box saying "Account, card or application number", and below the box, saying "Please tell us your account, card or application number to continue."

I don't know about you, but I'm not in the habit of writing down my account number in case I lose my card, and I think most people do not, either.

Well, that means I can't use their website to report my card lost, so I'll have to call them. Let's not forget voicemail systems are also software applications, just running on hardware dedicated to that purpose (and with the open-source PBX program Asterix, can be a PC running Linux).

So I call the 800 number - if you type "what is chase bank credit card phone number" Google will give you, in a nice big font - 1 (800) 432-3117. So I dial the number.

While waiting for a prompt to authenticate myself, it advises me that I can use their website at Chase.Com to do things like report a lost or stolen credit card. No, I can't. Consider if I was not at my computer but on the road, and I follow good practices like using a unique password with random characters. I'm not going to remember that, since I either have Firefox or a third-party password manager to do that.

It asks me for my credit card number. Then it says that if I don't have the number, press 1. It asks me to punch in my social security number. Fine. Then it asks me to punch in the full 16-digit account number.

There is a YouTuber named Undoomed, who critiques other people's videos. When the other person says something that on its face was stupid, he responds with, "Hey Moron! Fucking Moron!" This was one of those moments. I'll make this real simple for the morons at Chase. If your voicemail system has given someone a path to use when they are missing an authentication, you're not supposed to ask them for the very same authentication they just told you that they don't have.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

odyssia76

Re: You've Got an Enemy at Chase!

Post by odyssia76 »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:01 am I don't know about you, but I'm not in the habit of writing down my account number in case I lose my card, and I think most people do not, either.
Really - the ONLY place you have your card number is on your physical card? Do you grab it and manually type in the number every time you buy something online? If I did that I'd spend half my time typing!

It sounds like you use a password manager. Most of them are happy to contain credit card info for you as well.
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

Tdarcos

Re: You've Got an Enemy at Chase!

Post by Tdarcos »

odyssia76 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:54 am It sounds like you use a password manager. Most of them are happy to contain credit card info for you as well.
Yes, ma'am, I do, and it does that. Only problem is, it's a "reserve" card.

I may use it every few months just to keep Chase from cancelling it -- the credit limit is only $500 but it's no-annual-fee - because my usual card pays 2% cashback on all purchases, and because of Covid, Citibank is allowing people to use saved cashback to pay their bill, which makes sense since they would send it to you by check, or convert it into gift cards (sort of like what CO did when he had BofA send me a $100 Amazon card.)

Since I haven't used that Chase card for much, it's not in the saved card list. Or where I used it collected it somewhere other than on a form asking for address, or some other reason that causes it not to be recognized as something to keep.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Incorrect and stupid

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am getting my wife a subscription to audible.com for six months. I want her to get the news on Christmas. The gift center has a "calendar" icon where I assume you can't pick the date to deliver the news.

Only the button doesn't work if you have a PiHole going. Does not work on Brave or Firefox or on mobile with my PiHole, but if I go to my phone's internet connection it comes up. They added TRACKING or something to a CALENDAR button. Dummies. Never screw with a customer's ability to give you money.

I just hit the button and there is no way to set the time it arrives. I'm not risking having the thing hit her email before I give her a card. CHRIST. There is so much awful software in the world.

pinback

Post by pinback »

It is the middle of "football Sunday". When you go to nfl.com, there is no way to see the scores unless you start clicking around to find the hidden page with the scores on them.

Again: nfl.com does not show the scores of the NFL games.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

He's right. Any newspaper or news broadcast will start with the games and scores. NFL.com wants you to buy stuff