Ecstasy of Order (2011)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Re: Ecstasy of Order (2011)

Post by pinback »

I meant that we were going to destroy her life, not that you already did so?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

This just happened. As you can see, it took me 30 days to go from complete noob to B. I will write an essay on this, because it has been quite a learning experience -- in several more ways than one, not all having to do with Tetris -- and because Christ, someone has to at least try to beat Flack out for MVP this year. Of course he will (correctly) claim that this is all because of the Tetris documentary he clued me into last month, but whaddya gonna do.

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:52 am 193 games of Tetris?
So I guess C took 193, and it says here B took 346.

Christ, I've been playing this a lot.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What's the difference between dedication and addiction?

THE
CUT HAIR
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:25 am This just happened. As you can see, it took me 30 days to go from complete noob to B. I will write an essay on this, because it has been quite a learning experience -- in several more ways than one, not all having to do with Tetris -- and because Christ, someone has to at least try to beat Flack out for MVP this year. Of course he will (correctly) claim that this is all because of the Tetris documentary he clued me into last month, but whaddya gonna do.
If I only had one vote, I would vote for you. If I had more than one vote, I would vote for everybody*.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

And just like that, as quickly and violently as it started, my Tetris career comes to an end. I'll always cherish this special, brief window of my life where I was completely obsessed with seven little blocks with weird shapes and names, but as with all good things, I begin to obsess and turn it into something harmful and deleterious. So, no more.

I imagine this is what happened to a lot of people who discovered and got obsessed with the game decades before I did. I imagine that those who were winning the tournaments before Asian kids took over everything are those who just never stopped.

If I got to cast a vote for the real-life analogue to "the game" in that Star Trek:TNG episode that everyone got addicted to as the Enterprise crumbled around them, I can't think of anything else that comes close. Seven blocks, ten columns, go go go. What's not to like.

Oh well, at least I got to B rank.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

My sister-in-law - not really a gamer! - was obsessed with it some number of years ago. Maybe as a teenager. She started seeing shapes and such in her mind when not playing the game and when trying to go to sleep. She won't play it anymore.

There are a number of games atop my personal list because of how they made me feel. They remain there because when I fire up a round of ole Zork I there, I do get the feelings of wonder still. That's all fine. But Tetris just may be the very best video game ever made. Certainly many think so. The thing that gives it that extra "push" for me is this:

1. The deal you guys mentioned where "At most the same piece of 14 drops apart" takes a lot the random number generation out of it. I had a personal issue with Donkey Kong due to the sheer amount of "RNG" going on, but people do tend to say you can control when the barrels drop down ladders, which changes things for me. Same with Tetris; I am sure I played versions where it was up to "eff you chance" as to which piece dropped when, but the "pieces in a 14 piece bag" thing is so much better.

2. I enjoy Tetris, every single Tetris game, even when I am not good at it. I know I'll play for some number of minutes, eventually the rows pile up and the game is over. And I have a great time all the while. It's tough to think of a game where EVERY round is enjoyable to me, where I am not saying "oh fucking bullshit" at either myself (most likely) or the game. It's good and pleasant for me, always.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I can imagine it would be less of a problem "back in the day", when you had to get everyone else off the TV so you could get a turn in on the NES or what have you. But now, at whatever computer you're at, you just go to a website and can play the best version ever of it within 15 seconds at any time. Way too easy.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'm glad we were able to share this little blip in time together.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

At the very least, it got me un-blocked from at least a couple of your lists.

Thank you, Alexey.

pinback

Post by pinback »

After nine months off, I'm doing this again.

I don't get nervous playing anymore, because who gives a shit.

I've won 502 games on tetr.io. I've played 1012.

I'll never be any good, but it's fun.

pinback

Post by pinback »

There's a chance I play this too much.

Like I said, I'll never be any good. I started when I was 50 instead of 10. My bad.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This may be a go-to version of Tetris for the Commodore 64?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I'm not a man who expresses emotion easily or often, but I actually got a little choked up tonight while taking this screencap.

My father passed away 20 years ago this year, and of all the fond memories I have of him, the one that stuck with me the most was what he said to me right at the end, which was:

Son, whatever you decide to do with your life, try to be the 28,754th best in the world at it.

I did it for you, pop. I did it for you.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Also as you can see, in two years and 1750 games, I have gotten very, very, very slightly better. By the time I'm 80 I'll be dangerous.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Hey, B+, not too shabby. That's a passing grade in any public Tetris school.