Movie base?

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Hungover Pinback

Movie base?

Post by Hungover Pinback »

We should have a movie base. How come we don't have a movie base?

Anyway, here is Pinback's MOVIE RECOMMENDATION OF THE DAY!!

One Hour Photo (***1/2): It's been said (by me) that some ***1/2 movies are actually better than **** movies, particularly if they reach further and are held back by some minor (yet noticeable) flaws. OHP is such a film. If the flaws (of which there are relatively few) were less noticeable, it would be an easy **** pick. However, I can't in good conscience give it the full four, knowing that I'd hear later about, "Didn't you feel that [such and such] was weak?" Well, yes, I DID think such and such was weak, but by the end, I didn't care. I wanted to watch it again right away, which I might have actually done this evening if I hadn't already sealed up the Netflix mailer.

OHP is derivative of all of the following things: Taxi Driver, Rear Window, and every Stanley Kubrick movie ever made. However, if you know me, you know that three things that I like are Taxi Driver, Rear Window, and every Stanley Kubrick movie ever made. So as long as you do a reasonable job of copying all these things, and maybe throw in Robin Williams doing his new "creepy maniac" character, then I AM GOING TO LIKE YOUR MOVIE. And I liked OHP. A lot.

Most of the movies I'm big fans of, are of a generally high quality, but have a *moment*, a specific couple seconds of film which elevate a film from "excellent" to "lovable". OHP has such a moment in the form of a 15-second clip of Robin Williams having a nightmare. The nightmare itself is so quick, so shocking, and so astoundingly witty that I could not help but *love* the film from then on.

Yeah, there are some surprises, but none of them particualrly surprising. Yeah, some of the dialogue is iffy (though most of it, particularly when Williams is involved, strikes a perfect blend of natural and uneasy). But, damn. Here I am babbling about a movie on JC BBS, and when's the last time that happened?

One Hour Photo (a very HIGH ***1/2)

- A very HIGH Pinback

Base Monitor

Post by Base Monitor »

I ALSO BELIEVE THAT THERE SHOULD BE A MOVIE BASE. THERE IS A MUSIC BASE AND A GAME BASE (TWO OR THREE ACTUALLY) BUT WHAT OF FILM? WHERE DOES THAT THE MOST MODERN OF ALL ART FORMS HAVE ITS SAY ON THIS BOARD?

TO YOU SYSOP I SAY WE SHOULD NAY WE MUST HAVE A PLACE TO DISCUSS MOVIES IN A BASE HERE.

n/t

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Consider this the movie base. The Adventurer's Guild.

Should I put "movies" in the title? Would that help things? Does the discussion of movies really warrant a new base that will soon be declared "dead" by the Base Monitor if a couple days go by with nobody talking about film?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

TS, PS, & GM

Post by TS, PS, & GM »

I guarantee you, a movie base would go over gangbusters! We are afraid that this base is too cluttered as it is.

With all respect,

Telly Savalas, Patrick Stewart, and Gavin MacLeod.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Cluttered? This is the first time in a while that there have been three or four active threads going.

Look, I respect the contributions to film that Misters Savalas, Stewart and... fuck, I can't remember the other one, Captain Stupid or whatever the fuck his name is -- I respect everything you bring to the table. But a separate movie base? C'mon now!

On the other hand, it's safe to say that the Pleasure Wharf has been an abject failure in virtually all ways that it is possible to be an abject failure. We're not even talking about *our* get-togethers there, which ideally is what it should be used for.

Maybe it's time to throw a change-up into the mix of this iteration of "Jolt Country." There are only three or four people still here from the dial-up Rochester days. (Which reminds me, Bugs, I have a JC e-mail address ready for you -- let me know what you want the account name to be.) Everyone currently here has brought more concentrated comedy to the table than the old dial-up crew was able to manage in all but their very best days.

Perhaps... it's time to move on.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well, maybe theres just not that much to say about Colorodo. Good skiing, Nice scenery, OK football team.
Where can you go from there? Canyon City? Put movie reviews in there too..

THE
THATS THE TICKET!
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

OK, we'll do a movie base.

I need to know of a video game that has had a movie theatre in it. "Tavarian Pittman's Discount Urban Theatres" or whatever the hell I called it from Fallacy of Dawn is ruled ineligible. The Pleasure Wharf is going to get whacked so we need to put the movie base there with a proper name. I'll "evict" all the threads in base #3 currently and place the movies ones in it.

I trust that you rubes -- and I use that term with the highest degree of affection -- don't let the base languish and die a most horrible, painful death. I am usually against adding new bases, as I hate to see them sitting there, mocking me.

bruce

Post by bruce »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: I need to know of a video game that has had a movie theatre in it. "Tavarian Pittman's Discount Urban Theatres" or whatever the hell I called it from Fallacy of Dawn is ruled ineligible.
There was a movie theatre in Duke Nukem. It might have had a name.

And there is the theatre in _Dangerous Curves_ which doubtless has a name but I don't remember it.

The Discworld Movie Theatre makes an appearance at the end of _Discworld II_ but I forget its name.

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

NAMES, PEOPLE, I NEED NAMES.

I'll look up the name for the Duke Nukem one.

JC FUN FAX: "Maximus," the software that the original dial-up board ran on, could not deal with more than 32,768 messages in a single base. I wanted to keep the numbers intact, so I "retired" the original Adventurer's Guild when we hit that number and created an all-new base called "Rabid Transit," after the level of the same name from Duke Nukem 3D.

But yeah, I can't remember the name of the theatre in DN3D either.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Also -- I am definitely taking suggestions, and games which had movie-like elements are fair game. For instance, games that had plays in them, or perhaps a costume ball a la Suspect. That kind of thing.

Must Be Pinback!

Post by Must Be Pinback! »

Is the SysOp going to do his job here? Or not? What's the deal?

Ah, I'm just "funning" with you buddy, as the kids in the hood like to say. I know that the process of trying to name a base is possibly the most boring activity a human being can engage in, with the possible exception of watching an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Keep us updated!

BAM! Gentle-Encouragement-To-ICJ Story!

That's Our Pinback!

Post by That's Our Pinback! »

Welp! I guess the sysop is too busy apologizing to start a movie base! I suppose I'll have to start a new website focusing on movies, but then not hook it up to a UPS, so it's offline most of the time because the power goes out so often around here!

BAM! Insufficient-hardware-architecture-planning story!

So Graham Pinback

Post by So Graham Pinback »

Now it's just getting ridiculous.

Ladies and gentlemen.... Deborah Harry!!!

AArdvark

Re: Movie base?

Post by AArdvark »

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

''Vark, did you realize the last post to this thread was 19 years ago?

Nineteen years. Ahh such memories. I happened to read Pinback's starter post and it reminded me of something. Ben mentioned how he had already closed the red envelope to mail it back to Netflix. Back then modems were so slow that Netflix sent movies by mail I remember how people used to DVDs mailesto them, watch as long as they wanr, theb nail it back to get the next one. It was such a small and insignificant company that the huge Blockbuster chain had no interest in buying them. They figured getting DVDs by mail wasn't that good a business model, and it would never last. They were right, but for the wrong reason.

Netflix is still offering the DVD by mail service, though. Some people can't get broadband.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I saw this movie poster and was compelled to share it here, but where?

This was reasonably convenient, plus there was the comment about getting ridiculous