Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

Post by Flack »

I am, at best, a casual fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy films. I saw each of the first two films one time each, in theaters. I watched the holiday special on Netlix last year when it was released. I don't care about comic books, so I didn't watch any of the Avengers movies. Turns out, the characters from these films were in those films too and a bunch of important stuff happened.

GotG3 opens with an attack/kidnapping attempt on Rocket Racoon, which nearly kills him. Some of the Guardians attempt to apply a medpack to Rocket's wounds, which only makes things worse. Turns out, all that stuff that was installed in Rocket is encrypted, and without the encryption key, they can't repair him and he will die. The Guardians put their heads together and decide to infiltrate the company that built Rocket, steal his records (which contain the key), and sneak back out.

The film's overarching theme is family and relationships. A large portion of the film deals with Rocket's backstory -- who made him and why, and the first group of friends he had before he teamed up with Groot and the rest of the Guardians. We also have Peter Quill's (former) relationship with Gamora, his relationship with people back on Earth, and his relationship with Rocket.

All that relationship gunk is squeezed in between all the action sequences. About every five minutes, the Guardians run into swarms of fighters which leads to a lot of ass-kickin'. A lot of times these fights involve armies of random CGI monsters we have no connection with. In one scene, the king of the bad guys orders everything on his ship to get into smaller ships and attack the Guardians' ship which results in one of those "what is happening?" moments where 10,000 CGI things battle one another in space.

I read a few other reviews of this film, most of which said "this film made me cry multiple times." This film did not make me cry although there were a couple of touching moments. I did laugh a few times, mostly when Drax tries his hardest to fit it. "Hello, dumb idiots," he says to a group of children.

None of these movies ever really end. I mean, it ends, and then the Guardians break up, and then we get a scene where some of the Guardians are still Guardians, and then we get a note stating the Guardians will be back. These films make more dollars than there are stars in the galaxy (*TDT), and as long as people keep going to see them, the Guardians will keep saving the galaxy one CGI battle at a time.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."