A "post your top ten movies" thread.

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ben

Post by Ben »

At the end of this, do we get to compile a "Top Ten Worst Top Ten Lists List"? Because I'm taking some serious notes and checking them twice.

Ghost of Siskel

Post by Ghost of Siskel »

Ben wrote:At the end of this, do we get to compile a "Top Ten Worst Top Ten Lists List"? Because I'm taking some serious notes and checking them twice.
Agreed, old friend.

Have the majority of these people even seen a movie before 1995?

SIGH

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Old movies suck.

Anything in black and white is worthless garbage.

Old, dead actors didn't have half the skill of their modern counterparts.

A movie without effects is hardly worth watching.

Fuck old flicks. If they were any good they'd still be making them like that.

"Sigh"? "SIGH", Siskel? Give me a damn break. Besides, this is a "post your own personal top ten list," not a "post the ten best movies ever" list which had been done -- badly -- by corpses, cadavers and people who like to think of themselves as being "in the know" for years now. OMG HOW THRILLING -->

1. Citizen Kane
2. Casablanca
3. Godfather II
4. Wizard of Oz
5. It's a Wonderful Life
6. Schindler's List
7. Chinatown
8. Gone With the Wind
9. Lawrence of Arabia
10. Some Like it Hot

COMPELLING!!! Jolt Country has just become ever other damn place on the net and I LIKES IT!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Lazy Walrustitty

Post by Lazy Walrustitty »

(too lazy to sign in)

Oh Viiiiiolet, you do realize that I own both those movies? And that you're welcome to borrow them?

Blade Runner - got the DVD (which is ancient, a special edition has been rumored for years, but hasn't arrived yet)
Robocop - I have the rare & valuable Criterion Collection DVD, which has the director's cut - which means more gore, which is a good thing. There may be an upcoming re-release with the director's cut, but for now, the current DVD is the R-rated cut.

Your time would be better spent watching Fitzcarraldo than Blade Runner, though. As anyone who has seen both would agree.

Loafergirl - I can't believe you listed Kung Pow next to Starship Troopers. One's a multilayered satire, one's just a goofball guy-fighting-a-cow basic cheap comedy, not unlike Spy Hard, Repossessed, etc. Both are having sequels made, though. Regardless, Starship Troopers is much more than cheese.

In the interest of not having my testicles kicked in, I will not comment on your top ten list. :D

In other movie news, Matrix Reloaded sucks balls.

Violet

Post by Violet »

Am I really able to borrow them? Dreams do come true.
The End

Ice Cream Jonsey

Lazy Walrustitty wrote: Your time would be better spent watching Fitzcarraldo than Blade Runner, though. As anyone who has seen both would agree.
Nobody would say that.

Don't try to pass your biased opinions off as fact. The thing is revered worldwide as one of the best flicks ever.

Loafergirl - I can't believe you listed Kung Pow next to Starship Troopers. One's a multilayered satire, one's just a goofball guy-fighting-a-cow basic cheap comedy, not unlike Spy Hard, Repossessed, etc. Both are having sequels made, though. Regardless, Starship Troopers is much more than cheese.
Both are crap.

Q: Isn't that your opinion, and not just a fact?
A: No. It's true.

Starship Troopers the book maybe had something to say on the subject of fascism (hey! No wonder Walrustitty liked it, hee hee hee) but you're giving the movie waaa-aaaa-ay too much credit. Denise Richards smiling like a grinning ghoul removes any "irony" in the thing. Doogy Fucking Houser removes it as well. Jesus.

I didn't actually see Kung Pow. But I just can't believe it was any good. Maybe if I were to see it I'd be proven wrong, but how does buying the rights to an old kung-fu film and inserting yourself within it make for remotely watchable cinema?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Starship Troopers was highly entertaining. Not great feelm by any stretch of the imagination, but it had a lot of the same over-the-top satirical feel (and of course, gore) to it that Robocop had. Plus, cool bugs.

People who didn't like Starship Troopers need to have the corncob surgically removed.

Ghost of Siskel

[quote="Ice Cream Jonsey"]Old movies suck.

7. Chinatown[quote]

I really liked this movie, thought it was well-written, well-directed, and well-acted, but if someone as smart as you doesn't like it, mayhap I should toss out my DVD.

Ghost of Siskel

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Both are crap.
Yeah, but consider this, sysop.

Maybe, maybe they're really good and you just didn't understand them. Just throwing that out at you.

Worm

Post by Worm »

I'd like to mention that I effectively haven't seen many movies before 1995 if you are wondering.
Good point Bobby!

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

Best old movie ever...

Arsenic and Old Lace
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ghost of Siskel wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Old movies suck.

7. Chinatown
I really liked this movie, thought it was well-written, well-directed, and well-acted, but if someone as smart as you doesn't like it, mayhap I should toss out my DVD.
I was only kidding regarding the black and white comment.

Also, I haven't seen Chinatown, but I heard it was very good. What I was trying to do with that second list was come up with the Cliched Top Ten List of Movies that I seem to find everywhere. For some reason I was under the impression that the Godfather II (which I have never seen) was better than the first (which I have).

Further research indicates that this probably isn't true. Comments, Gene? Help me out here, man.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ghost of Siskel wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Both are crap.
Yeah, but consider this, sysop.

Maybe, maybe they're really good and you just didn't understand them. Just throwing that out at you.
No... I pretty much understood Starship Troopers.

I haven't seen Kung Pow, but I already admitted that. I was just teasing Loafergirl.

Starship Troopers was an attempt at schlock flick. Only after the thing got ripped to shit did anyone try piping up with the "ultra ironic" sentiment. Come on, who the hell puts DOOGEY in their movie if they want to be taken seriously when it's all said and done?

ST the movie claims to be trying to show how bad fascism is by showing how much fun a fascist war is. But I maintain that it's an excuse for bad film making. *That's* why I hate Starship Troopers. Not because of what you get on the screen and on the TV (honestly, people fighting bugs I am totally OK with) but because of the attempts to turn it into something it's not by the director and its fanbase.

bot

Post by bot »

Also, you have to admit that ST blatantly rips off the scene with Luke Skywalker and the AT-AT from The Empire Strikes Back when the main hero guy in ST cuts a hole in that giant beetle and stuffs a grenade inside it.

In addition, watching that female pilot (is her name Denise Richardson, or something?) smile the creepy and inanely vacuous smile of a thousand plastic braindead hos gets a little tiresome.

But on the whole I liked it.
No signatures is good signatures.

pinback

Post by pinback »

First our hero says:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:No... I pretty much understood Starship Troopers.
Let's all just let that sink in for a moment.

Okay, then he goes on to thoroughly refute the above statement as many ways as he can think of:
Come on, who the hell puts DOOGEY in their movie if they want to be taken seriously when it's all said and done?
Well, nobody. That thing you just blindly walked into? That's called: The point!
ST the movie claims to be trying to show how bad fascism is by showing how much fun a fascist war is.
Where is this claim made? Is it when the child actors make the computer graphics explode, or when the computer graphics make the child actors explode?

Or did you watch the Bonus Disc or something?

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote:First our hero says:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:No... I pretty much understood Starship Troopers.
Let's all just let that sink in for a moment.

Okay, then he goes on to thoroughly refute the above statement as many ways as he can think of:
Come on, who the hell puts DOOGEY in their movie if they want to be taken seriously when it's all said and done?
Well, nobody. That thing you just blindly walked into? That's called: The point!
Nice try. It's not, of course. The director and screenwriter of Starship Troopers -- and many of their brain-damaged fans -- will tell you that it's not just a piece of cinematic garbage. Oh, no. It says something. It's ironic. I just don't get it.

To which I say: Wrong, actually. Totally and completely wrong. It doesn't say anything. Attempting to state that it does is all spin. It's nothing more than a bad action movie, with a retarded, indefensible plot and horrible acting.

Are people in this wretched thread saying that? I know that Walrustitty says it all the time. So if any of you want to hop on his bandwagon, well, good luck with that. I, however, love you and care about you. I'm there with the chicken soup when you're sick and there with the extra blanket when you're cold. I tell you how good-looking you are. I comment on how beautiful I think your eyes are. I give you those long, deep, soulful kisses and playfully wink at you when we're at parties and in different conversations on opposite sides of the room when our eyes meet across the room for an instant. I call into work when you're sick so you don't have to pretend to cough when the boss is on the line.

So I ask you: who, in fact, are you with?

pinback

Post by pinback »

You had me at hello.

Seriously, though, unsticky this thread. Sticky threads are horrible. Trust me. I've got the t-shirts with the maps of Hawaii on 'em to prove it.

The kid from 'Mask'

Post by The kid from 'Mask' »

Maps of... ugh!

That must be really disgusting to have to look at.

pinback

Post by pinback »

The smell gets you long before you get within visual range.

Ice Cream Jonsey

It'll still be on top if people keep bumping it.