Los Enchiladas! (1999)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Los Enchiladas! (1999)

Post by Flack »

I thought I knew just about everything about Mitch Hedberg, so I'm not sure how I missed this. In 1999, after failing to land a television deal, Hedberg wrote, directed, and starred in a film called Los Enchiladas!

In the film, Los Enchiladas! is a Mexican restaurant chain located in the Twin Cities area. Mitch is one of a number of employees. Dave Attell plays the store manager, Marc Maron plays a professional writer of menu blurbs, and Todd Barry plays another co-worker.

The plot of the film is... well, there's no plot. The camera just kind of follows everybody around on the day before Cinco de Mayo, which everybody knows "is the restaurant's busiest day of the year." Characters perform monologues, Dave Attell picks a fight with a guy in a foam gyro costume, and Hedberg and his buddy Robbie smoke a lot of pot. There are some minor subplots -- Hedberg's character wrote a book, Robbie wants to spread his wings and leave the Twin Cities -- but they're mentioned so infrequently and don't drive the story that they're more just like "things that are mentioned."

Los Enchiladas! was obviously influenced by Clerks. It's almost the same movie, except Smith's has some characters that are likable and/or memorable. Nobody in this film is. Hedberg said the script was based on his time working in fast food, and if you were there, maybe it's funny. Mostly, it's not.

Los Enchiladas! was shown one time (Sundance, 1999) but wasn't picked up by a distributor. It was never shown again in theaters, and wasn't released on VHS or DVD. A few years ago, someone got a hold of the master VHS tape and leaked it. I'm warning you now that you'll most likely fall asleep, and the only real reason to watch this is to see a piece of Hedberg history, but if you're still interested, here you are:

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Re: Los Enchiladas! (1999)

Post by pinback »

Can you separate the artist from the terrible movie they made in 1999?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Re: Los Enchiladas! (1999)

Post by Flack »

Sure. Hedberg's great. These enchiladas stink.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."