Picard

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Picard

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

They recast Bruce Maddox, those COWARDS.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

It saddens me that Pinback was initially against the RedLetterMedia guys because I feel that Ben reminds me of Mike Stoklasa. Or vice versa.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

RLM are amazing. I have zero interest in STP itself, but the RLM reviews are hilarious. Since I haven't watched STP (nor will I,) I've no idea if it's as horrible as they make it out to be, but it seems very plausible. It appears to make no sense whatsoever, and seems to be written by people who don't know anything about Picard, Star Trek or writing.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

I made it to episode 3 of Picard before not really caring about watching any more, even though I've already paid for the month of CBS All Access. Worst part is the opening credits scene is downright creepy, what with all those little pieces of something coming together to make Picard's head.

I may have to try Discovery again to make use of this subscription. I saw a clip late in Discovery where they make space bridges from Discovery to Enterprise then everyone gets off before they blow up Discovery. That was an ok scene and no bullshit about water bears or shit.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Are you girls off your lithium or are you too busy enjoying your monthly bloody PMS to appreciate an actually good version of Star Trek? I'm hearing about how it isn't actually "Star Trek" because they imbue the characters with actual personality, conflicts, humanity, and give all of them room to breath in the story so that Patrick Stewart and the rest can actually show off their acting chops. Instead it's "Discovery Season 2 was dope!" even though it was the television equivalent of smacking a focus group with a bag of rocks before they rate a show.

What do we get from Star Trek: Picard? Clear indications that Patrick Stewart has grown as an actor, clearly bringing his Shakespearean theater experience to play. Even Jeri Ryan (who is a little cheesy) ends up having a drive that pits her against the moral straight jacket that the Federation is still embodying. Sure, it has a bunch of Deus Ex Machina moments and the plot is thin in places, but God is it actually mature writing about real human beings instead of the caricatures of humanity that Star Trek has always managed to shove into our faces.

If you want cheesy gags, grotesque acting that has more in common with a cardboard cut out of Ronald Reagon, and a world that has about the same depth, go watch one of the Star Trek fan films. But I'm enjoying Picard because it's being actually emotive, there is hate that is still embodied with love and understanding that the Galaxy is a great place and people have to fight for it. Alongside a plot that has more in common with a detective novel than fan fiction, what is there to actually complain about?

Ya'll are pussies.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

So, how about it making no sense? Sure, PS is an amazing actor, but if what's happening on the screen makes no sense, then isn't that crap?

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm watching it, it's fine, but they have lost my respect with the robot girl.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... perSoldier
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionGirl
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... ssAdorable
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... nyBrunette
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... akTheCutie

The actress's performance is fine, but Jesus Christ, I'm too old to give a shit about Blade Runner implanted memories in a character that is literally every single TV Trope for River Tam. I'm fucking amazed the writers didn't have that Romulan music box pop out an Origami unicorn. I had to fast forward through some of her stuff in Episode 6 but it's okay, I've literally seen it half a dozen times before.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Been watching Picard up to episode 8. It's not as bad as I first thought. Jonsey's right, they also stole from Battlestar Galactica it seems like with the whole "synthetics destroyed the world" thing.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The parts with Riker and Troi were/are good!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

This video has a number of good points over why some people dislike some Star Trek series. (Personal note, I've not watched anything after Voyager).

Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have seen them all. I might have missed episode 8?

Final analysis: It's Pants

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:05 pm Final analysis: It's Pants
What does that even mean?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I really enjoyed the series up till episode 4 or 5 and then it just went downhill faster than one of Pinback's roller coasters. So much initial promise and excitement, but then they bundled it up by using every shitty cliche from the franchise and a couple they probably found from staying up till 3 AM reading TV Tropes.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

He's right. About all of it.

Casual Observer

1:34:04 is too long, any chance you can summarize?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:42 pm 1:34:04 is too long, any chance you can summarize?
That's what I'm talking about.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻