Richard Jewell (2019)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Richard Jewell (2019)

Post by Flack »

This is the true story of Richard Jewell, the security guard who discovered a pipe bomb at Centennial Park outside the Olympics in Atlanta Georgia in 1996, and how he was subsequently investigated for having a role in the crime. It has been too long since the event happened that I had forgot most of the details, including whether or not he was charged or, if he was, whether he was found innocent or guilty. Because of this, the ending was a surprise to be despite being based on the true story. I don't think knowing the outcome would have made it any less entertaining. There's a lot of not-so-subtle commentary about how both the FBI and the media, in their own respective ways, are less interested in the truth than they are meeting their own goals. Great acting in this drama.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Re: Richard Jewell (2019)

Post by Tdarcos »

Oh I remember. This has been one of my standard lines for years. "You think talking to the police can't hurt you if you're innocent? Tell that to Richard Jewell."

He was a security guard at the Atlanta Olympics and saw a suspicious package. He got people out of the immediate area and called for the police, keeping people away until police arrived. His fast action allowed it to explode without causing casualties or death. This was part of the evidence used to convict the actual bomber, Eric Rudolph.

This poor bastard got raked over the coals by the media and law enforcement for the crime of doing his job and preventing people who would have been injured or killed from becoming so. For this he was castigated and falsely accused.

Jewell ended up settling with several media organizations for their shoddy coverage. He was never arrested, never charged with anything, and in a rational world would have been lauded as a hero. Later, the Governor of Georgia would do exactly that.

The only bright spot about this was, before he died, he was hired as a police officer by a small community in Georgia, the one thing he had always wanted to be. The police chief that hired him said, "I won't ever have to worry he'd use excessive force on someone or be too quick to arrest someone when there are questions." Or something like that.

He remains the poster boy for what can happen when an innocent person has been presumed guilty.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:30 am Oh I remember. This has been one of my standard lines for years. "You think talking to the police can't hurt you if you're innocent? Tell that to Richard Jewell."

He was a security guard at the Atlanta Olympics and saw a suspicious package. He got people out of the immediate area and called for the police, keeping people away until police arrived. His fast action allowed it to explode without causing casualties or death. This was part of the evidence used to convict the actual bomber, Eric Rudolph.

This poor bastard got raked over the coals by the media and law enforcement for the crime of doing his job and preventing people who would have been injured or killed from becoming so. For this he was castigated and falsely accused.

Jewell ended up settling with several media organizations for their shoddy coverage. He was never arrested, never charged with anything, and in a rational world would have been lauded as a hero. Later, the Governor of Georgia would do exactly that.

The only bright spot about this was, before he died, he was hired as a police officer by a small community in Georgia, the one thing he had always wanted to be. The police chief that hired him said, "I won't ever have to worry he'd use excessive force on someone or be too quick to arrest someone when there are questions." Or something like that.

He remains the poster boy for what can happen when an innocent person has been presumed guilty.
You do not need to watch the movie.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I liked this movie. The good guy that was the bomb expert was pretty cool. While I agree it had great acting, I thought the choice of casting for Eric Rudolph was a bit odd. He wasn't "white enough" and did not even sport the same hairdo or moustache. Whereas the dude they got to play Jewell was SPOT ON, man.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:30 am Oh I remember. This has been one of my standard lines for years. "You think talking to the police can't hurt you if you're innocent? Tell that to Richard Jewell."
Anyone who ever thinks about talking to the police for any reason, even if you're as innocent as a snowflake, needs to watch this video. Could save you endless years in prison. Worth every second and proves beyond a doubt why it is always a bad idea to talk to them. You think nothing bad could happen to you as long as you tell the truth? Think again.

"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Does this mean I can no longer talk to my cop friends?
Balls!