Da 5 Bloods

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Da 5 Bloods

Post by pinback »

Spike Lee is not a guy that I've seen every single one of his movies. But every single one I have seen, I have liked a lot, no matter how outlandish they were. (And Do the Right Thing will always be one of the greatest movies of all time.)

Da 5 Bloods is an absolute mess, and I enjoyed its entire 2.5 hours. It's about as nuanced and subtle as a sledgehammer to the face. There is something to admire about a filmmaker so impassioned about his cause that he will literally have characters stare into the camera and state what the movie is about, and the message it is conveying. No room for metaphor here. It adds to the urgency, as if Spike is saying, I have no time to make this clever, you fucks.

I admire that. I less admire what a hodge-podge of styles, genres and tones are thrown together here, often in quick succession. But it doesn't feel like a filmmaker saying "throw everything up, hope something sticks". It's more like, "throw everything up, fuck you." So even though I admire it less, I still admire it.

I can imagine that if you don't like Spike Lee or his movies, there is zero chance this one will change your mind. If you are a liker, though, you will agree with me that Spike Lee is apparently incapable of making a bad movie, and this sticks to form.

One thing that is absolutely beyond argument is that the photography (shot mostly in Thailand) is just astonishingly beautiful.

3.5 raised fists out of 4.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Re: Da 5 Bloods

Post by pinback »

Also, as I was writing this, I thought "I'm glad I'm not writing this on Caltrops, because you know how they are", but with the exception of CO, I actually get the sense that most folks here are... how do I say this delicately and politely, because I'm nothing if not delicate and polite... "not big Spike Lee fans."

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:57 pm Also, as I was writing this, I thought "I'm glad I'm not writing this on Caltrops, because you know how they are", but with the exception of CO, I actually get the sense that most folks here are... how do I say this delicately and politely, because I'm nothing if not delicate and polite... "not big Spike Lee fans."
:(
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

I was actually (this is true) going to edit the post to add you. But I was tired and hoping you'd overlook it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I don't think I've ever seen a Spike Lee movie. I didn't really seek movies out until like 2000. Is there a particular Spike Lee movie you'd recommend to a guy like me, pinner?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:14 pm I don't think I've ever seen a Spike Lee movie.
It is called “a Spike Lee JOINT”, friend. I have burned a few. Not really interested in his newer stuff but I wouldn’t turn it off as fast as most movies.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:14 pm Is there a particular Spike Lee movie you'd recommend to a guy like me?
I know it wasn't directed to me, but I would unreservedly recommend Inside Man, a 2006 thriller about an NYC bank robbery and the police response. I thought it was Spike's Lee's best work.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:14 pm I don't think I've ever seen a Spike Lee movie. I didn't really seek movies out until like 2000. Is there a particular Spike Lee movie you'd recommend to a guy like me, pinner?
Do The Right Thing is the Star Trek 2 of Spike Lee jernts. Except all his other movies are good, and all the other Star Trek movies are all the other Star Trek movies.