Coming 2 America (2021)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Coming 2 America (2021)

Post by Flack »

In this "who asked for it?" sequel more than three decades in the making, the story moves to Zamunda where we find Prince Akeem (Eddie Murphy) and his wife Lisa celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, not all is as great as Akeem's wedding celebration. King Jaffe Joffer (James Earl Jones) is ill, and distraught that Akeem and Lisa's union has borne them three daughters but no male to inherit the throne. All too happy to capitalize on this lack of testosterone is General Izzi, the leader of (I'm not making this up) Nextdoria. General Izzi has issued an ultimatum: either one of Akeem's daughters can marry Izzi's son, or he will declare war on Zamunda. Neither option is ideal.

Through a bit of revisionism we learn that during the events of the first film, Akeem was drugged and had sex with a woman who bore him a son named Lavelle (Jermaine Fowler). Together with his assistant Semmi (Arsenio Hall), Akeem once again travels to NYC, this time to reconnect with his son Lavelle and invite him, his mother (Leslie Jones) and his uncle (Tracy Morgan) to join him in Zamunda. But because this is 2021 and everyone (even Zamunda kings) are woke, the question eventually becomes, why can't a woman inherit the throne?

Every major character from the original film reprises their roles in this sequel, up to and including Louie Anderson, who has finally become a manager at McDowell's. My instinct is to dunk on Coming 2 America probably harder than it deserves. It's largely harmless; the older prince (Akeem) learns that women can do anything a man can do, and the new prince (Lavelle) is convinced to "follow his heart". It's a straight and non-convoluted plot that almost anyone on this forum could have put together. Anyone who has ever seen a film will know exactly where things are going. A lot of the notes feel familiar and played-out (Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall playing multiple roles). Your enjoyment of Coming 2 America relies squarely on whether or not you care what Akeem's family has been up to over the past 33 years.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Re: Coming 2 America (2021)

Post by AArdvark »

I honestly thought Arsenio and Louie Anderson were dead. Huh

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Too bad they waited too long to cameo the old guys from Trading Places again, 1990 would have been better for that.

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:13 pm I honestly thought Arsenio and Louie Anderson were dead. Huh
Anderson was nominated for four Emmys (and won one) over the past five years.

Get yo shit together.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

If that means watching more television it aint gonna happen

nessman

Post by nessman »

It was cute, had some humorous moments, but otherwise felt like overcooked leftovers from 3 nights ago.
If the First Amendment will protect a scumbag like me, it will protect all of you. - Larry Flynt