The Lighthouse (2019)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

The Lighthouse (2019)

Post by pinback »

Filmed in black and white, and in virtually square format, you know from the first frame that this is something different. All darkness, foreboding and claustrophobia, The Lighthouse is essentially a two-man play, the story of two guys tasked with maintaining a lighthouse for four weeks.

As time goes on, their relationship develops in unexpected ways, while both seem to be experiencing some sort of mental breakdown/creeping insanity. Eventually there are hints that neither of them may be who they say they are, and even the lighthouse itself may not be what it seems.

This is a movie that it is impossible to spoil, because I don't think anyone knows what happens, or what it all means. It's obviously meant to be pure allegory, but allegorical to what is generally left to the viewer.

Willem DaFoe is outstanding/darkly hilarious as the crusty old seadog (who replaces "ye" for "you" and "lad" for whatever your name is, ye lad.) Robert Pattinson jerks off to a figurine of a mermaid.

I was captivated the whole time, mainly because I knew that I was watching something new. The Lighthouse reminded me of no other movie. And it's really well done. If you want to see something new, and aren't a stickler about, you know, understanding what a movie was about, then this is the movie for you.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Re: The Lighthouse (2019)

Post by AArdvark »

Are there rats? I like lighthouse stories with rats

pinback

Post by pinback »

There are no rats.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Are there many night scenes that show the ocean? I like how the ocean looks in old B/W movies and later that fake blue as play-doh technicolor looking stuff.

Do you think the film benefits from being done in black and white? Some movies where the director chose this medium I couldn't help but think it would be better if it was just filmed in color. "Pi" is one example I can think of.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

I think both artistic decisions -- both the black and white (with very little white) -- and the square format, leaving the left and right sides of the screen black, both increase the unsettling, claustrophobic sense of isolation that the film seems intent on conveying.

There are a few shots of the ocean, particularly during storm segments, with tremendous waves smashing against rocks and such.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Would you call this movie a psychological thriller?

pinback

Post by pinback »

That sounds about right. Let's go with that. If you google "what genre of movie is the lighthouse", it lists:

Horror
Black and white
Drama
Fantasy
Psychological horror
Dark comedy
Mystery

"Horror" seems a bit overstated, as it's more discomforting than horrifying. Though one could argue it's not technically "thrilling" either. Some mix between the two.

Nah, let's go with what you said.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Oh shit. Sounds interesting and I see it is streaming free on-demand on Pluto.tv right now! I'm sold. Will reply after I watch..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Is it in black and white for budget reasons?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Oh gd it. The version I started watching on Pluto is..

#1 A BBC Movie
#2 In color
#3 From 2016

It looked interesting, but wrong one! Trying again!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ok I rented it off Amazon since I don’t have prime atm.

Crazy movie! The weird parts were hit and miss for me but overall it worked. It portrayed sea stuff really well. Storm scene and leaking damage after very realistic as I have learned the hard way! I liked the droning sounds throughout that makes things even more ominous.

Williams character is great but man does that other guy get on your nerves like 20 minutes in (heh-heh)

I will probably have to watch that 2016 version because this story is interesting.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Is there sound?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I didnt hear any when I played the trailer

Ice Cream Jonsey

Are there visuals throughout the entire film?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:34 am Are there visuals throughout the entire film?
The screen occasionally went completely black for a few seconds, especially before the title appeared at the beginning. This sort of behavior can be frustrating for any “smart” TV that decides to just black out the picture until you reboot it at random.

There is sound and the sound is one of the best features until it gets annoying.. which stops as soon as it does. This is proper pacing.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻