The Thread Where My Wife Forces Me To Watch Marvel Movies

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

The Thread Where My Wife Forces Me To Watch Marvel Movies

Post by pinback »

I had seen one or two of the Ironmans before, which I liked, so we skipped those.

First up: The Avengers.

This took three weeks to watch, because I watched the first hour, said I was too tired, so we put it on the back burner until we got back from Chicago, where in a drunken stupor I agreed to finish it up last night.

I didn't like the first hour, and the last hour and a half were, while better, only slightly so. Hulk is a good character and Ironman is a good character because the actors are charismatic. Ironman is put into SUPER-IRONMAN mode where he can do anything and give a little smirk to the camera, so he seems less real and more annoying. Hulk I got no complaints about.

The movie is just this cacophony of ridiculous nonsense and things blowing up and nothing makes any sense. It is a wonder of modern filmmaking technology, in service of just a bunch of crazy crap.

I'm giving The Avengers two and a half stars. It's a two-star movie, but the strength of the Hulk's character, the impressive technical achievement, and Scarlett Johansson's ass bump it up to that extra half star.

NOT IMPRESSED.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Re: The Thread Where My Wife Forces Me To Watch Marvel Movies

Post by AArdvark »

They arent going to get any better. Thet seem to be geared towards short attention spans. If you enjoy jump cuts, explosions and ridiculous plots then Marvel movies are for you. I found The Avengers too loud.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:06 pm I found The Avengers too loud.
And from Vark that probably means it's too loud!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

I will try to stay generic in thoughts because I don't want to set any expectations for you.

There are some that are genuinely good movies. Dunno if she is going to have you watch Daredevil, but the first two seasons of Daredevil are genuinely good and then the show makes the same mistake that every single writer for the comic book version of Daredevil makes which is that they feel obligated or are forced to bring in an antagonist that is a zillion non-descript unhuman ninjas called "The Hand." No-one has ever made a good The Hand story, nobody ever will, everyone tries.

Deadpool is also a genuinely good movie on its own merits. I look forward to your take on these movies though. I read two dozen comics every month growing up, in theory I should have sprayed jiz out my nostrils when they started making these movies but some of them are terrible. The first two Thor movies and Avengers: Age of Ultron are gonna be tough, not gonna lie.

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:06 pm They arent going to get any better. Thet seem to be geared towards short attention spans. If you enjoy jump cuts, explosions and ridiculous plots then Marvel movies are for you. I found The Avengers too loud.
I don't believe you.

1. You don't watch movies with the sound on, which is still the most insane thing any user on this BBS has done, and Jack Straw used to post here.

2. I've heard from reputable sources that some of the other ones are better.

But we'll see.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:10 pm
AArdvark wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:06 pm I found The Avengers too loud.
And from Vark that probably means it's too loud!
I wrote the previous post before reading this one. So okay, he had the sound on. I'm wagering, though, there are better Marvel movies than The Avengers.

We'll see. (Because I am being forced to see.)

pinback

Post by pinback »

I saw Deadpool. That was fun. I'm hoping I can remember other ones I already saw, so we can skip them.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I was forced to watch The Avengers and Deadpool. The sound was on , against my silent wishes. It was too loud.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I mentioned to a friend of mine (who is really into these movies) that I was considering watching the first Avengers movies and he sent me a list of 13 other movies I need to watch before fully understand that one, so really it just became a list of 14 movies I'll never watch.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Lemme do a separate thread about my take on all of these and if you want to be unspoilt, you can skip it.