ICJ's Take on Pinback's Take for Marvel Movies

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

ICJ's Take on Pinback's Take for Marvel Movies

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

There's an emotional payoff that comes from the two Infinity War movies, but what do we need to view to get there? Let's answer that.

The Captain America movies: this comes down to - do you like Chris Evans? Pinback MIGHT because he was good in Sunshine. I now like Chris Evans. One day we will find someone who does Cap better. I got every Captain America comic they made in the 1980s and 1990s and my personal politics are probably 100% stuff that Cap said during that time. I know what happens in every Captain America story ever made. I didn't see these but I would some day. Pinner, you can SKIP these.

The first two Thor movies: Thor is the weakest character in the comics in the Avengers and through the first two Thor movies, he's a weak character on film. Then they made the third a buddy comedy and it was AWESOME. Pinner, you can SKIP these two.

Thor: Ragnarok: You don't need to know anything that ever happened, and you get the bonus of it being a co-Thor, co-Hulk (who ya like) movie. See this one!

Guardians of the Galaxy: A genuinely good comedy, I think. The second one isn't as good, but it's fine. I think you should see these ones!

Avengers: Age of Ultron: An awful movie with no redeeming characteristics. You can skip this one!

All the Spider-Man movies: Honestly, they lost me when they stunt-cast all the supporting characters. So while I like Tom Holland I haven't bothered with any of these. You grew up in America, you know who Spider-Man is.

Doctor Strange: I predict you won't like this one. It's Bandersnatch Cumdertank pretending to be Rick Sanchez for two hours. This is the classic "leave on because the visuals are OK" movie. They stunt-cast the Ancient One, but nobody cares, that character died before I was born and whats her face did a good job.

Black Panther: The only redeeming part of this is Chadwick Boseman, who died.

This doesn't leave a lot of movies. Maybe this thread was a mistake?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Re: ICJ's Take on Pinback's Take for Marvel Movies

Post by AArdvark »

Didn't they make a Hawkeye movie and a Scarlet Johansson (whatever her character's name is) movie?

And Loki, he's got a stand alone movie as well. Don't these B heros count?

Flack

Post by Flack »

The last Spider-Man movie I watched had Toby McGuire in it. I think what turned me off of the genre was when they released a Hulk movie that didn't do well so they immediately rebooted it.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

AArdvark wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:40 am Didn't they make a Hawkeye movie and a Scarlet Johansson (whatever her character's name is) movie?

And Loki, he's got a stand alone movie as well. Don't these B heros count?
I don't know about a Hawkeye movie. Hawkeye the character was one of my favorites growing up, along with Blue Beetle, Guy Gardner, Daredevil and Rorschach. Hawkeye is meant to be an anti-establishment rascal, I don't know if I'd call him "wise-cracking" but he is very easy to dislike if he is not on your side. He had a limited series at one point where there was actual character growth - to escape the mad clutches of a particular villain, he had to destroy his own hearing. There aren't many people in comics who cannot hear well!

Jeremy Renner played him as a brooding, depressed and unfun military(?) dude and while Renner can certainly carry a movie, his portrayal of the character cannot.

I didn't get into the Loki TV show (which I enjoyed and would have enjoyed even if CG renders of my personal property weren't in it) because I was falling asleep while typing the opening post. They've made so much of this stuff that I run out of useful waking hours if I want to write about it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!