Blood Red Fury (2021)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Blood Red Fury (2021)

Post by Flack »

This review contains spoilers.

If you're going to hijack an airplane, you have to anticipate everything. There are literally millions of variables to account for, any one of which could ruin your plans. What if you can't get into the cabin? What if you can't take over the controls? What if there are air marshals on board? What if the passengers decide to revolt? Any of these things going wrong could easily thwart a terrorist's plans.

The terrorists who have taken over the trans-Atlantic flight in Blood Red Sky accounted for almost everything. They have a code to enter the cabin. They have people on the inside working with them. They have a way to survive a potential crash, and a way to profit after the accident. They thought of everything. Well, almost everything.

They didn't plan on one of the passengers being a vampire.

Nadja is traveling to America with her young son Elias in hopes of finding a solution to her "blood disease," which she keeps in check with a series of painful shots. Through flashbacks we learn how Nadja acquired her "condition," but the real action takes place on the plane. It becomes clear that the terrorists plan to crash the plane as part of a plan to manipulate the stock market, and they even have an escape plan ready to go. Air marshals are quickly identified and disposed of, and as long as the passengers sit down and remain quiet, everything will go smooth. If you watched the trailer at the top of this post, you'll see... everything does not go smooth.

Without her medicine, Nadja goes from innocent hostage to Count Orlok on steroids halfway through the movie. It becomes painfully obvious that the terrorists did not anticipate there being a vampire on board (how could they?), and two-thirds the way through the movie, the tables are turned on Nadja as shit really gets crazy.

The film tries hard to get us invested in Nadja's relationship with her son, but should have gone further or not at all. We get glimpses of their earlier life, but it's a B-story that gets too much screen time. The terrorists' plan (to crash a plan in hopes of making money on the rebounding stock market) is a bit far-fetched, but most people coming to a "vampire on a plane" film aren't worried about such details.

The last 20-25 minutes of the film that take place after the plane has landed feel forced and tacked on. It's a shame because the premise is so good that the action feels fun and the twist pays off and I wanted so much to like this movie. I'm guessing any Hollywood writer worth his or her weight in garlic could whip the ending of this movie into shape, possibly even turning it into a franchise. As is, the movie peters out toward the end and doesn't deliver an ending the premise deserved.

It's been a while since a film delivered such a crazy concept from left field. If you like horror and action, the film is worth watching for the first two thirds alone.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

The Happiness Engine

Re: Blood Red Fury (2021)

Post by The Happiness Engine »

It's a book, but you might like 100 Fathoms Below. It's "vampires on a submarine" and paces pretty much like a horror movie.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Hmmmm, would this be like Air Force One and Snakes on a Plane mixed with vampires?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:52 am
If you're going to hijack an airplane, you have to anticipate everything. ...The terrorists who have taken over the trans-Atlantic flight in Blood Red Sky accounted for almost everything. ... They didn't plan on one of the passengers being a vampire.
Why is one of the passengers being an IRS Revenue Agent a problem? I've heard them referred to as "bloodsuckers" and "I wish those bastards would go back into their coffins," but unless these hijackers have undeclared income, I don't think the agent can do all that much.

Hey, my premise makes about as much sense as theirs. Presumably, this flight wasn't the red eye, so how does this "vampire" keep from bursting into flame once someone opens a window shade when it's daylight outside? How did the vampire get to the airport? Take an Uber at night, then hide out in an airport restroom until (or just before) the flight's boarding time? What about all the very large windows in airport concourses, perfect for letting people watch the planes, and also for allowing in lots of sunlight? What about the reverse, getting out of the destination airport?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Watch it and find out.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

It's better we watch it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:48 am Watch it and find out.
I don't have Netflix.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.