Audiobook Text Adventures?

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Audiobook Text Adventures?

Post by Flack »

A friend of mine recently told me that he does not read books and only listens to audiobooks.

I was curious if there are any text adventures that also read the text. I am not talking about additional software (text-to-speech) that could be used to perform this function. I'm more wondering about any text adventures that the author also included themselves reading the game.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Re: Audiobook Text Adventures?

Post by AArdvark »

Now that would be interesting. It would be part radio show and part podcast and all entertainment!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Maybe you could do that with a CYOA. In a parser game, it's probably impossible, due to the large amounts of synthesized text.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

With that being said, "Six Stories" did that for dialogue cutscenes.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

This is a really cool idea, but it would be a lot of work for all but the smallest of games as RealNC mentioned. Plus, I imagine many IF authors wouldn't feel confident enough in their vocal stylings to pull this off.

While it's not quite the same thing as Robb reading to us himself, you CAN listen to Marshal Tenner Winter reading Cryptozookeeper which is just one of the many reasons the Internet is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twqtyH5Hi7w

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Bookmarked! Can't wait to listen to this.
First ten minutes....
I'm going to rip the audio from this video and listen in the dark!