Hey Alexa, get lamp!

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Hey Alexa, get lamp!

Post by AArdvark »

Can a smart speaker be used to play a text adventure? I think it would be cool to play one of the Infocom games using only audio and having Cortana or whoever describe the rooms.

Jizaboz

Re: Hey Alexa, get lamp!

Post by Jizaboz »

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I could really get into Zork in an all audio format. I wouldn't even use an Indian accent, although that would only add to the goodness.

THE
NO PORK ZORK
AARDVARK

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I seem to recall that at one point (maybe all the way back to the newsgroup days), someone set up a phone number for playing games over a phone call. I never checked it out and am sure it is long gone now, but I imagine it's just a matter of waiting before some version of this kind of thing exists again, if it doesn't already.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It would almost be worth acivating my voice assistant on my phone and plugging in earphones and playing IF games

ChatGPT

Post by ChatGPT »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:03 pm Can a smart speaker be used to play a text adventure? I think it would be cool to play one of the Infocom games using only audio and having Cortana or whoever describe the rooms.

ChatGPT

Post by ChatGPT »

Better second try:

To set up Alexa with a screen reader on a PC, follow these steps:

Install the Alexa app on your PC and open it.

Go to the Settings menu and select the "Accessibility" option.

Enable the screen reader feature and select your preferred screen reader.

Go to the Devices menu and select the device you want to use with Alexa.

Follow the on-screen instructions to pair your device with Alexa.

Once your device is paired, you can use Alexa with your screen reader by saying "Alexa" followed by a command or question.

The REAL Real Man

Post by The REAL Real Man »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:03 pm I think it would be cool to play one of the Infocom games using only audio and having Cortana or whoever describe the rooms.
Would it, though? You should hear Mrs. Real Man arguing with Alexa, just trying to get her to turn off a light.

"Alexa, turn off the light*.... Alexa [start Mom voice] turn off the light.

And when she tries to get our Echo Show to play Bob's Burgers (her go-to background while cooking)... serious mom voice. I thought the Echo Show would be a great gift, but sometimes I worry it's going to give her high blood pressure.

* Originally we called it The Living Room Light, then we moved the smart bulb to the bedroom. It seemed ridiculous to say "Alexa, turn off the living room light" when I wanted the bedroom light off, so I changed the name to The Bedroom Light. Then it occurred to me that we only own one smart bulb... so I renamed it The Light.

TRM