IFCOMP 2019

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Re: IFCOMP 2019

Post by Flack »

Besides ICJ's and Jizz's games, the ones I played and reviewed ranked 50th and 78th. I may try to play some of the top 10 games this week and see why they were so highly ranked.

The worst things about IF games are (a) not knowing what to do or where to go next, and (b) getting stuck at a "guess the verb" situation. I thought both of our boys' did a good job of avoiding those traps. Congrats to the JC crew for their submissions!!!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:24 pm BTW, the BBS is no longer coloring "Banana" yellow, but it is de-capitalizing it when it's capitalized: Banana Banana Banana
I think they are escaping whatever is put in the substitution now so what we did before won't work. :(
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

I decided to check out some games, while this one does not have a parser I would not lump it in with the low rent CYOA games out there:

https://ifcomp.org/2068/content/index.html

Look at that thing! It's beautiful!

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Flack wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:25 pm Besides ICJ's and Jizz's games, the ones I played and reviewed ranked 50th and 78th. I may try to play some of the top 10 games this week and see why they were so highly ranked.
Yeah, same here. Just because the comp is over doesn't mean we need to stop playing the games. I plan to play at least every parser game and will definitely be writing a few more reviews. I just won't be playing comp games to the exclusion of all other IF.

I've thought about taking a look at some old competitions and trying to rank all the games as I would have voted. It could be an interesting exercise, and there weren't always such an overwhelming number of entries so it would definitely be doable for at least some years. I would change a few winners for sure and some low or last place games would rank much higher on my lists.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:34 pm
pinback wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:24 pm BTW, the BBS is no longer coloring "Banana" yellow, but it is de-capitalizing it when it's capitalized: Banana Banana Banana
I think they are escaping whatever is put in the substitution now so what we did before won't work. :(
It could be worse: it could color the word orange in purple; the word shit in brown; or every time someone uses the word "fuck" it shows a small gif of two people, I mean a man and a woman, oh well, you can guess what they'd be doing.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

In retrospect of my original thoughts here, no regrets. It’s not even as if that I “hate” the entire IF scene or community (I have friends here and on IfMUD), it’s more I hate what IfComp has de-evolved into.

At this point I would rather focus on finishing this Hugo game and selling it for the next year. I still really want it to be something people will want to play after playing Cyberganked.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah, you got a decade or two before having to worry about Cyberganked, pal.

Flack

Post by Flack »

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

FeelsGankedMan
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.