Hugo Fresh Install Checklist

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Hugo Fresh Install Checklist

Post by Jizaboz »

Keeping with the theme of TDarcos wanting to make Hugo more approachable to new developers through understanding, I think we should have some sort of list for fresh installs with "optional" notes. MacOS setup IMO is kind of a shitshow for development due to Wine not working last I checked. At any rate, let's get get started with some basics for Windows and Linux..

For the purpose of my project and maybe others, these are my priorities:
1. Newest hugo code compiler
2. RoodyLib as well as Roody's version of Notepad++ (Or an Atom port of it?)
3. Newest version of Hugor (I was waaaay behind I found out after installing MacOS Catalina)
4. Setting up paths to resources (music, images) quickly.
5. Being able to save my source code with associated libs quickly as dated, backed up files. I need the same for media but not even half as often.

With #2 I think Paul mentioned he uses Atom which is also my preferred text editor for work but I don't have syntax files for hugo in it. On #5 I've generally handled this myself by saving source folder to Dropbox and resources as I add them, but we need to make it clear how that is done or simplify it more. Paul is already using Github to make sure he's not saving shit tarballs via Atom. Perhaps we should start our own repository with everyone who is here who works in Hugo? I'd just like to have a discussion on this.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Re: Hugo Fresh Install Checklist

Post by RealNC »

macOS is the easiest to install the compiler in if you use homebrew:

https://github.com/realnc/homebrew-hugo

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Now, if Jonsey can have whichever port GIT uses opened to traffic on his server I wouldn't mind using it as a repository, although since Github developed Atom, I don't know if it supports external repositories other than Github. If that is the case, it means I have to use an external Git client (like Tortoise Git), instead of Atom's built-in client.

Another possibility: open the port for SMB traffic and put a Samba daemon on it. Then the server can look, for all intents and purposes, as a Windows machine (or Windows Share). I did that with my Buffalo NAS when it was on my router at home as a intranet device. I referenced it as \\buffalo, or assigned a drive letter to any subdirectory and it looked and worked just like a SUBSTed drive.

For some reason it does not work here, or rather, it no longer works, as it worked perfectly for about a day and a half maybe six weks ago and then just stopped working. I'm not sure why.

Secondary side note: I need to check on this, but if the communication methods are documented such that they can all use the same port, a single port number can be used, otherwise the specific ports for Git, Mercurial (Hg), SVN and CVS all need to be registered with IETF as a known TCP port (hell, even DOOM has port 666 registered wuth IETF, it should not be too difficult) and if there is not a definitive reference to the technical specification for the protocols, it (or they) need(s) to be made and published.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Per my secondary note, I have done my research, and found the port numbers:
* CVS has port 2401
* Subversion has port 3690
* Git has port 9418
* Neither "Mercurial" nor "Hg" has a port registered
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I'm also a fan of using Hugo's Environment Variable support on my computers. I have HUGO_LIB point to a Dropbox directory so my library files are the same across all machines; lately, I've just had HUGO_OBJECT (where the compiled files go) just go to a local unshared folder since it otherwise results in a bunch of mostly unnecessary syncing. I don't usually use the other environment variables.

Since Hugo By Example is down, I can't point you to the HbE page so I'd just recommend looking the various variables up in the Hugo manual.

My Notepad++ addition will look for the relevant files in certain folders if the environment variables are not defined so that's a decent choice for the lazy.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Damn it. Just realized this goes in the Hugo section lol.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻