Necrotic Drift: released

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Necrotic Drift: released

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I just released a graphical text adventure. Won't you give it a look? It's called Necrotic Drift.

It's going to take a few hours before it completely finishes uploading to the IF archive, so I placed it here for now:

Download!

I hope you have some fun with it. If you'd like to preview the manual, it's right here.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Usenet is piping hot with discussion!

Well, not really. Conversation has started with the same tired thread that every large game generates in rgif. Ah, well.

Lex

Post by Lex »

Ha-hahahhahaha! "How would you define the magic of D&D?"
WHOOA!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ah, crap.

If you brute-force attack the ghast, things get messed up. (Thanks to Chris Freemesser for finding this one.) There was a routine that shoulda got called that didn't. Everything you need to kill the ghast is right there in the room where you encounter him. Er, it.

Version 1.01 is available at the same download spot, with that fix alongside a couple typos and so forth.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I think that was the fastest game patch release I've ever seen.

I wish I had more time to play it. So far I have just left the video store....

THE
ONE MOVE A DAY
AARDVARK

bruce

Post by bruce »

Uh, if only the .hex file has changed, how about putting just that up?

Yes, I have broadband.

Making me download 37.2M of multimedia that hasn't changed still makes me angry.

Bruce

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Hey! I made all the way to the apartment where Audrey is...

THE
MAKING PROGRESS
ONE DAY AT A TIME
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Update!

I ordered the first "test" CD from Mixonic. They still don't have the option to make DVD-style inserts yet. I'll just do it locally if they can't get it done.

It'll take a few days to arrive, but once it does Feelies.org will start taking pre-orders. I'll also generate copies of it for those of you I promised copies of as a token of thanks.

Hope I can make some money off this one. I'd like to charge the general populace $12.99. Dunno if that will go over like an inter-racial wedding taking place in the south on the Titanic or what, but I guess I'll find out.

Worm

Post by Worm »

Those usenet motha fuckers be bitchin and whining.
Good point Bobby!

Ice Cream Jonsey

People are talking!! On the Internet!!! New thread!

Bill Cosby

Post by Bill Cosby »

Worm wrote:Those usenet motha fuckers be bitchin and whining.
<i>YOU</i> are the dirty laundry.

Bill

Barry

Post by Barry »

Bill Cosby wrote:
Worm wrote:Those usenet motha fuckers be bitchin and whining.
<i>YOU</i> are the dirty laundry.

Bill
Where the hell did you get that post? I hate to tell you this man, but that's a Cosby post. A Cos-bay post!!

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Kevin Y. wrote:However, this now means that the author's statement that the game can't
be made unwinnable is incorrect. I've been knocking the torch off the
wall *before* waking up the mummy, which means I've been hammering my
head against an unwinnable game save.
...Why did no one think of that? *headslap*
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

Worm

Post by Worm »

Lysander wrote:
Kevin Y. wrote:However, this now means that the author's statement that the game can't
be made unwinnable is incorrect. I've been knocking the torch off the
wall *before* waking up the mummy, which means I've been hammering my
head against an unwinnable game save.
...Why did no one think of that? *headslap*
Well, because Mr. Usenet is wrong. Well the torch is the most noticible way to kill the zombie there is another way.
Good point Bobby!

Toreoffmywings

Little Problem

Post by Toreoffmywings »

On the games overview page here at joltcountry.com, there seems to be a slight issue with links. the first link for necrotic drift actually leads to a download for fallacy of dawn. weird. ah well, I wuz gonna download them both anyways.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Little Problem

Toreoffmywings wrote:On the games overview page here at joltcountry.com, there seems to be a slight issue with links. the first link for necrotic drift actually leads to a download for fallacy of dawn. weird. ah well, I wuz gonna download them both anyways.
That's mightily embarassing.

Thanks! I fixed that link problem. Guess it was good that I had a bunch of different download sites there, but at least the first one gets you to the actual game intended.

Hope you have some fun with it!

Robb

Toreoffmywings

Post by Toreoffmywings »

Well, because Mr. Usenet is wrong. Well the torch is the most noticible way to kill the zombie there is another way.
OK, maybe I just dont have a decent grasp of the english language, but knocking down the torch? I keep breaking it, and then dying. Oddly enough, I dont feel bad, because I got there on my own, and even thought to burn the bastard before reading that, so. what am I supposed to do to knock it down as opposed to smashing it?

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

You need to throw the <foo> at the torch after it steps out of the coffin and breaks the beam--which, because Robb is an evil bastard, means you're pretty much guaranteed to get hit by the mummy because the mummy never misses becasue even though it's ridiculously slow and is covered in bandages so it should be tripping itself up it still can catch you and kill you because it is a mummy, which isappropriate enough for the genre, *so.* Good luck with the rest of it, incidentally.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

Toreoffmywings

Post by Toreoffmywings »

I was just coming back to say I got it and nevermind. I'd been trying to hit it with the stick. no joy for me.

Toreoffmywings

Post by Toreoffmywings »

I win! yay for me!

incidentally, I'm one of those self-important and whiny people over there at livejournal. I manage a community called irongamersguild, which is devoted to reviews of various and sundry video games. the review for this is over there. as good as it'll do anyone. we're a community of 2 members, thus far.