Necrotic Drift combat- too punishing?

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Necrotic Drift combat- too punishing?

Post by Guest »

I found Necrotic Drift through the Play This Thing review, and I'm very impressed- the quality of it reminds me of the CHZO point and click games. What's getting to me, however, is the difficulty of the combat, which appears to me to be typing "hit x with y until the random number generator decides that I've taken enough damage. Is there any way to bypass this, or am I stuck saving before every fight so that I don't take enough damage early on that the game becomes basically unwinnable later?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Necrotic Drift combat- too punishing?

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Anonymous wrote:I found Necrotic Drift through the Play This Thing review, and I'm very impressed- the quality of it reminds me of the CHZO point and click games. What's getting to me, however, is the difficulty of the combat, which appears to me to be typing "hit x with y until the random number generator decides that I've taken enough damage. Is there any way to bypass this, or am I stuck saving before every fight so that I don't take enough damage early on that the game becomes basically unwinnable later?
Hello! There are definitely some things to do to even the odds in the game. I will use the first two enemies as an example, so SPOILER ALERT if you have not made it that far (but I suspect you have!).

What I tried to do with the game is give the player some things to fight the undead with that play to their weaknesses. For instance, there is a blunt object nearby when you encounter the skeleton. I believe there is a crystal ball stand in the same room? The skeleton shouldn't last more than a couple shots if you hit it with that thing.

Additionally, you encounter a ghoul early on as well. Ghouls paralyze people, but there are some mittens close by you can wear and I think it also lets you beat him with the clothes rack.

So, it is that sort of thing throughout. I can't say with 100% certainy that every single undead enemy has a weakness like that (and some do not need to be defeated at all), but I definitely tried to write the game where the monsters could be defeated by hitting them, sure, but also by exploiting their weaknesses.

Okay, there is one other spoilery-bit about healing.

When you get to the second level of the mall, there is a fountain. If you drink out of the fountain, it should restore your hit points. I don't think the game flat-out tells you this, which it should, but you can use that if your condition is getting worse.

I hope you enjoy the game, and don't hesitate to write if you find yourself with other questions. Thanks for playing!

-- Robb
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!