ALAN has become Celtish! Oh noes!

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

NihilVulture

ALAN has become Celtish! Oh noes!

Post by NihilVulture »

Whilest working on a text adventure today, I realized something odd about ALAN 2.87: it is totally down syndrome when it comes to pseudo-celtic "magic words":

For instance, Myrdwynn as a singular verb, causes a key to appear, but at the same time, an Ogre appears, and you must tickle him with a feather to defeat him (don't ask why I thought such craziness!)...
And hopefully Nwnnlyn, would free the key from a chain around the sleeping ogre... BUT that was not the issue!

ALAN got confused... It thought Nwnnlyn (and all the various pseudo-celtic magic words) was the same as Myrdwynn!

Then I replaced Nwnnlyn with Zeist... It wasn't confused anymore! I think it likes pseudo germanic words (what can I say? I agree with it, but still frustrated by it's Germanic arrogance!), seeings how it was programmed in Scandenavia by a Thomas Nilsson (sic), but truthly, I don't think it was Thomas's idea for it to be that confused... Maybe it just began to think!!! Holy shit! Skynet is online! And Judgement Day has come! Hide your human asses!