I need some help so I can release Cryptozookeeper.

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

I need some help so I can release Cryptozookeeper.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Here's the status of the game: I really need some people to walk through it as I get it ready for release.

Ideally, I would have one person look at it, fix all the bugs that person finds, and then find another person to look at it. Continue that process, fix the bugs I find myself when I play through, and have myself a solid release before too long.

I've sent the game off to three people, and I am wondering if there is anyone else who would like to look at it before I release it to the world.

The game is done, all the jokes are there. I need to add photos for a few cryptids, but I am knocking those out. I am still in a position where I can add music, but there are 62 songs there. I have completed it a few times with no problems, and the part I worry most about is people being able to get it in a non-solvable state by doing something I didn't anticipate.

If you are able to take a look, please let me know here. Assuming I've got your e-mail address, I'll contact you that way.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

sgranade

Post by sgranade »

I am sadly too full up on stuff to do to help. :/ Have you asked over at the IF Forum?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Understood completely! That's the thing when all of your friends are artists. I'd rather it be this way than not. :)

Gonna see what happens here, and then go to Caltrops and ask, and then Mike Snyder's IF forum, definitely. From there, I was thinking of hitting The Something Awful forum, and then maybe a professional beta test company.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Understood completely! That's the thing when all of your friends are artists. I'd rather it be this way than not. :)

Gonna see what happens here, and then go to Caltrops and ask, and then Mike Snyder's IF forum, definitely. From there, I was thinking of hitting The Something Awful forum, and then maybe a professional beta test company.
I think it was Joel Spolsky who said you really don't need more than about 5 beta testers, any more than that and you're probably getting more information than you can process.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I would disagree with that statement as it pertains to my game about as strenuously as possible, while still remaining seated.

Ice Cream Jonsey

UPDATE! I have given the link to a friend of mine that I met through Caltrops, and also to another person who contacted me through Juhana's excellent IF Betatesting site: http://if.game-testing.org/

Additionally, when I get feedback and fix any problems found, a member here has offered to look at it next. I don't mean to be mysterious, but I have it on good authority that everyone involved in this thread is human and not just that, but a wonderful human.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I would love to test this game.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I would disagree with that statement as it pertains to my game about as strenuously as possible, while still remaining seated.
Jonsey, I sent you three messages about the game so far. I absolutely promise you that no matter what I think of your game, i will always remain seated!
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Did you get the one I sent you? You were stuck when it came to talking to Igor Cytserz.

Basically, Cytserz says something like, "Ptui, I hate students." And students is in purple, thus making it a keyword you can talk to him about.

You can also type
>think about igor

To get a list of keywords.

You can then talk to him by typing

>talk to igor

What do you want to talk to him about?
>students

A few more keywords will come up, and eventually, after talking to him about those, other things will come into motion.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:I would love to test this game.
You're in WAVE TWO. I found six people to take a look at it, and once I fix everything they find, it's WAVE TWO: you and Roody Yogurt.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I am as flattered to be in a group with Roody as he should be offended to be in a group with me.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

WAVE 2 is the luxury box seats of Cryptozookeeper betatesting.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:WAVE 2 is the luxury box seats of Cryptozookeeper betatesting.
Yeah, because wave 1 is the "behind the post and you can't see anything seat," as I have discovered. :)

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Aw, I'm sure the view is better if you stand up.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Aw, I'm sure the view is better if you stand up.
In case you haven't seen my postings on the subject, I'm in a wheelchair, I can't stand up. I even posted a video I did about three years ago showing me moving from a manual wheelchair to the recliner I slept in. I now sleep in a bed; it's about even with my wheelchair and much easier because there's no arms to block me. If I had known then I'd have switched back to a bed a long time ago.

The one thing I can do in a recliner I can't do in a bed is lie on my back because the recliner provides leg support for someone whose knees cannot be unbent. In bed I have to sleep on my side, which is fine even if troublesome on occasion.

Actually, I don't know if I could move from a power wheelchair to a recliner, I never did. The power wheelchair couldn't get through the door of my room (I had to switch to a manual in my room) and shortly after I got the power wheelchair I got evicted. The recliner broke, anyway.

Ice Cream Jonsey

UPDATE! I've got one guy who is going through at a pretty good pace. Nobody has played enough to make it all the way through the game yet. I'm gonna start WAVE TWO in one week from today regardless of how far along people in WAVE ONE are.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Looking forward to it!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Shooting to release this on Monday, May 30th. I am gonna send out the download link to Pinback and Flack when I get home tonight. It should be in fairly good shape at this point. Roody and another dude have made it almost the entire way through the game.

Vark, you want a piece of this!!? I can send you the link, too.

I then have 500 posts here on JC I will be reading and replying to. So there's that.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Did you get the one I sent you? You were stuck when it came to talking to Igor Cytserz.

Basically, Cytserz says something like, "Ptui, I hate students." And students is in purple, thus making it a keyword you can talk to him about.

You can also type
>think about igor

To get a list of keywords.

You can then talk to him by typing

>talk to igor

What do you want to talk to him about?
>students

A few more keywords will come up, and eventually, after talking to him about those, other things will come into motion.
And I always end up getting mauled by the bear-dog. I have to believe the solution has something to do with the oyster and sauce bottle found in the mailbox. This is like .0000000001 progress and I'm already stuck, begging for hints. I feel my brain has atrophied since Chicks Dig jerks or something. WTF!

Ice Cream Jonsey

There's a couple things you can do.

** If you opened the mailbox outside and got the Worcester sauce

The game says that Igor and Puzzle like to slather the Worcester sauce on everything they eat. The game also says that Puzzle will eat almost anything except for oysters in the shell and pleather. The couch there is pleather... but almost anything else is valid. You could pour some sauce on the floor, or the table, or the cauldron and so forth, and Puzzle will lap that up, instead of you.

** If you did not get the sauce

Unlike what some halfwit wrote on his blog last year, you're still OK. You just need to vomit up the strip steak you ate before the game started. (The game mentions you ate it, so there's some evidence there.)

Eat an oyster out of the cauldron, and then type "vomit" or one of the synonyms for doing so. Puzzle will then eat that up instead of you.