Recursion in Hugo

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Recursion in Hugo

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I had some code that was like this:

location DoUrinate
{
Perform(&DoUrinate, hole01)
}

hole01 was in the room. Basically, One of the Bruces typed >piss in hole

That caused the game to crash, as the above forms a loop. An endless loop!

This was meant to be a blog post, but I have a billion things to do before my brother's inexplicable wedding, not the least of which is using the word inexplicable in most posts.

Thanks, Bruce.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Maybe he just had to piss really bad!

Like, really, really, really bad.

Like ...

10 print "really, "
20 goto 10

... bad.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Re: Recursion in Hugo

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I had some code that was like this:

location DoUrinate
{
Perform(&DoUrinate, hole01)
}

hole01 was in the room. Basically, One of the Bruces typed >piss in hole

That caused the game to crash, as the above forms a loop. An endless loop!

This was meant to be a blog post, but I have a billion things to do before my brother's inexplicable wedding, not the least of which is using the word inexplicable in most posts.

Thanks, Bruce.
Actually, you're lucky it's a subroutine call, this uses memory for the stack frame and makes the game (eventually) use all available memory. If it was a branch it would just hang.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Trap Code

Post by Tdarcos »

Tdarcos wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:That caused the game to crash, as the above forms a loop. An endless loop!
Thanks, Bruce.
Actually, you're lucky it's a subroutine call, this uses memory for the stack frame and makes the game (eventually) use all available memory. If it was a branch it would just hang.
I have a method I use - I'm writing a cross-reference for Pascal Programs, something that has been really weak compared with what was available back on mainframe compilers - is a "trap code". Any place where something is happening, a global variable called TrapCode is set to 0 the first time it is entering an area. Every time it passes through the critical area, TrapCode is incremented. If it's not supposed to get more than, say, 5 or 6 loops I'll set the check on TrapCode so that if it reaches 50, it raises a flag that causes it to print a message and pause until ENTER is pressed, allowing me to see when a runaway program occurs.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:Maybe he just had to piss really bad!

Like, really, really, really bad.

Like ...

10 print "really, "
20 goto 10

... bad.
"I'd give a million dollars just to be able to take a piss without it hurting."
- Hyman Roth, The Godfather, Part 2