Online repository of ACK games?

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

RetroRomper

Online repository of ACK games?

Post by RetroRomper »

Howdy all,

I was curious if there is a repository of some kind that has at least tried to collect all the ACK created games that the community has put together?

Take care,

Retro
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Re: Online repository of ACK games?

Post by RetroRomper »

Never mind. Doesn't at all matter anypre.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, now I wanna know.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Would you care to resurrect this line of questioning, perhaps?

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

If such a thing doesn't already exist, we could create it! By "we" I really mean you, the person reading this message. It's not like you're doing anything important at the moment so go serve the community and make this thing that we all need. Don't argue...GO! Post the URL when you're done.

Technically, we do have the Adventure Creation Kit File Repository already but it's very incomplete. So you're definitely not off the hook here.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Earlier today I looked into it: started to go through all the threads here for orphaned work from the community, looked into how I could contact Chris What's His Name from the 80sgaming.org website and Garth's Equipment Shop, asked Pinback and ICJ about contacting either of them and.. No.

I've done this at least tens of times for every manner of underappreciated, essentially lost genre of video games and now I forced myself out. If someone wants to know how to break this whole task down including technical systems created to catalog them you don't know about (the process management is pretty easy however) into a viable process, please feel free to ask so I can feel terrible about not replying.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't think anyone wants to know that, no.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

All right! Just finished a major project at work that had some pretty late nights involved. Gonna hop over to my email and see what people have written me now that this chunk of work has been completed and I have a little free time coming up. Let's see what the ole inbox has in store.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

bryanb wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:50 pm If such a thing doesn't already exist, we could create it! By "we" I really mean you, the person reading this message. [...] Technically, we do have the Adventure Creation Kit File Repository already but it's very incomplete. So you're definitely not off the hook here.
The dropbox folder repository upload link at that site is dead, as are many of the links in JC, the stickied posts here, and I think many of the mega patches. Do you or someone you know have any sort of direct access to Chris and or Garth? Anyone else that is prominent in the ACK community?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:09 am The dropbox folder repository upload link at that site is dead, as are many of the links in JC, the stickied posts here, and I think many of the mega patches. Do you or someone you know have any sort of direct access to Chris and or Garth? Anyone else that is prominent in the ACK community?
I'm afraid my links to the ACK community are tenuous at best so I can't be of much help here. Robb might potentially still be in contact with Chris and Garth so you could ask him. That said, I do think we could potentially get McDeath back if we simply set up a JC Discord, but I don't think that's going to happen.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

bryanb wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:50 am [...] I do think we could potentially get McDeath back if we simply set up a JC Discord, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Would you be willing to PM me their Discord contact information? I'd be happy to speak to them personally about what they have regarding ACK.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Post by Flack »

Have you tried PM'ing any of these people? They all have JC accounts, and when you send them a PM it sends them an email informing them someone has sent them a message. This would seem to me to be the most direct way to contact any registered forum member.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I was going to ask ICJ if he'd be willing to send a mass mailer. That may be presumptuous on my part, but keeping track and individually messaging around 30+ people would be a bit of an all consuming task.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Flack wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:13 pm Have you tried PM'ing any of these people? They all have JC accounts, and when you send them a PM it sends them an email informing them someone has sent them a message. This would seem to me to be the most direct way to contact any registered forum member.
I was curious if you still had the scans you made of your Commodore 64 and other systems banging around somewhere and if you would be willing to hand them to me for publication?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I was going to ask ICJ if he'd be willing to send a mass mailer.
I'm really trying to not give you a hard time about this because then we won't see you for three months and I genuinely like having you around. But:

A few days ago you had a nervous breakdown. A few days before that you said some of the most horrible things to Commander Tdarcos and insinuated that we'd all pay for ... for asking you to apologize to him. You're not in a good spot right now when it comes to contacting strangers. Like Flack said you can write them through JC's PM system. I'm not going to go look up people's email addresses and give them to you. There is an expectation when people sign up for a system that such a thing would not happen unless you're a hawt cych. For all I know Garth's email address is GarthEquipmentShop709-33-1253@gmail.com and now you have his first name and his last name and his social security number. I don't know. Do YOU think you're in a spot to be given people's email addresses right now? Can we go 8 days between incidents before handing stuff out? At some point can we vote on this?
RetroRomper wrote: but keeping track and individually messaging around 30+ people would be a bit of an all consuming task.
RetroRomper wrote:I was curious if you still had the scans you made of your Commodore 64 and other systems banging around somewhere and if you would be willing to hand them to me for publication?
Again, I am not giving you a hard time. I want you to keep posting here because I genuinely like you and your posts. But can you see the incongruity between those two statements?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I was not going to ask you for their email addresses or any other personal information: that is strictly out of bounds regardless of my state of mind. What I was going to suggest, is if you could send a link to a Google Form to part of the user base:

https://www.fastcomet.com/tutorials/phpbb3/mass-mail

A Google Form asking for ACK and IF files for saving, archiving, preservation or whatever would be easy and kill two birds with one stone. But seriously, I would never ask for information not publicly disclosed from a third party as that is stepping over a moral and ethical boundary.

I know it's beside the point, but Garth's email address is garthsequipmentshop@gmail.com because he publicly disclosed it. With the incongruity, sort of. I'm assuming it's me asking someone directly right before asking for a mass mailer? I'm willing to ask someone directly, but not an entire user base one by one?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Post by Flack »

RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:40 pm
Flack wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:13 pm Have you tried PM'ing any of these people? They all have JC accounts, and when you send them a PM it sends them an email informing them someone has sent them a message. This would seem to me to be the most direct way to contact any registered forum member.
I was curious if you still had the scans you made of your Commodore 64 and other systems banging around somewhere and if you would be willing to hand them to me for publication?
Nine years ago, I purchased a large lot of Commodore 64 hardware and software through Craigslist. Mixed in with the software, I found the entire software library belonging to the Commodore Users of Norman -- about 45 floppy disks worth of mostly public domain utilities. I spent approximately a week converting them all to D64 disk images, and scanning in pictures of each disk. When I was finished, I posted about it on my blog. Some of the programs on those disks had been previously undiscovered, and were added to GameBase 64, and the entire collection has been added to multiple Commodore 64 disk collections. The post, including links to the files and pictures, remain on my website nine years later.

http://www.robohara.com/?p=3657

If you can point me to anything you've archived that has been online for more than nine years, let me know. Otherwise, and I say this without malice, I think I'm doing okay on my own preserving things.

pinback

Post by pinback »

When is the part where we sit back and let you do all the work?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Flack wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:50 am If you can point me to anything you've archived that has been online for more than nine years, let me know. Otherwise, and I say this without malice, I think I'm doing okay on my own preserving things.
1. The original link to the article on RoboHara in the ACK base where you talked about this was dead.
2. Are you waving your preservation big pepe around?
3. I set up a deal for a video game preservation website to purchase 3000 video game covers, manuals, PC games, etc.

You can also blame me for this:

You're welcome.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'm not waving anything around. The reality that nobody else wants to mention is that over the last month you said you were going to make t-shirts and then you didn't, and then you said you were going to start a video game preservation site, and you didn't. That is why nobody is jumping to help with this latest manic endeavor. Over the past 48 hours, I've scanned in over a thousand floppy disk images and posted them online. If you want people to help out, go set up a domain dedicated to archiving ACK stuff, post what you can, and then ask people to pitch in. Nobody wants to do a bunch of work for someone who shows up once a week to post how high they are or how they wish they were dead.