Adventure Creation Kit

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Chris H

Adventure Creation Kit

Post by Chris H »

Starting a new thread here for linking purposes, so I can stop threadjacking the ACS thread. :)

To summarize:

ACK is a RPG toolkit that looks like what you'd get if you crossed Adventure Construction Set with Ultima V. It's a DOS game, and 'requires' DosBox (although some people have gotten it to run somewhat directly in Windows, I don't recommend it)

jjsonick has put together an excellent website with screenshots, description, and download links for ACK: http://www.mozomedia.com/ack/

2.2 is the ancient release that's been circulating for years and years. 2.3 is the first recent re-release, and 2.404 is the latest release as of 1/2/08. (You can see your version number by looking at your "release notes.txt".)

2.5 will be out soon with a few new features to make it easier to do more Ultima-style game elements, things like moongates which were previously unsupported. (Ultima nostalgia seems to be a big factor in any attention that ACK still gets, so the lack of this ability seemed pretty serious)

ACK is freeware and you can freely do whatever you want with/to it, including chopping it down so you can distribute adventures as standalone games. (Instructions will be in the 2.5 manual) I'd make it open source, but it's badly written Turbo Pascal 6 code that I'd frankly be embarrassed to have seen.

When there are updates, I'll post them here. :)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Is there a game archive kicking around for ACK?

And thanks for updating us all here - anything you need, to promote this program, you just let me know. I will make an honest, passionate, and sexy attempt to put a little something together in ACK after I finish this text game I am working on in a few months.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Nihil Vulture

ALAN and ACK, two of the best languages!

Post by Nihil Vulture »

Yes I am back again, foaming at the mouth, cause of what JJ said about helping Mr. Hopkins on the up and coming ACK 3.0! I foam only in thrill and excitement! ACK for Windows, PURELY Windows! I just cannot wait!

By the way Jonesie, I am trying to make an IF game myself, through ALAN, but I am on a writers block :( I hope you success for yours. As soon as ACK 3.0 comes out, I will begin work on my RPG, USURPER...

Laters guys and keep up the good work

Nihil Vulture

Chris H

ACK 3.0

Post by Chris H »

Yes, there is an ACK 3.0 coming out soon -- there were enough fundamental gameplay differences (like experience and levels) that the version bump made sense; you wouldn't want to try to play a 3.0+ adventure in the 2.4 engine. :)

I've added quite a number of enhancements and new features, and JJ has given it an excellent "purely Windows" launcher. However, the application itself is more "purely DosBox" at this point -- but bundled with a Windows launcher (or a Mac launcher) that handles that part for you, including the ability to run editors in multiple windows.

Having said that, you can do some content creation in Windows, because 320x200 BMP files are being used much more extensively (a lot of adventure aspects are now skinnable, like dialogues -- which of course means dialogue portraits, like Ultima VI), and those of course can be created in Windows and then just dragged in.

At one time I was excited about the idea of a Windows version, but having seen how far ACK has been able to come through a combination of the new launcher and a rewrite to take more advantage of the DosBox environment, I think this is functionally pretty close to what people would've wanted in a Windows version -- given the assumption that we're aiming for the original feel of ACS and Ultima V, of course.

-Chris

Nihil Vulture

ACK and my game Usurper

Post by Nihil Vulture »

Hey guys, I been reading the 2.4 version manual (in fact, I printed out)... I am hoping I can transfer 2.4 games to 3.0 ... I love this engine, it can bare my children! Just joking! It has inspired me to write ideas for an Ultima influenced RPG, called Usurper... And after Usurper, I will write a magickally occult adventure, The Black Skull, under the moniker, Ajun Ram... So in the future, look for those games... I might give them away, or I might sell it at 5 usd... But for Mr. Hopkins, if he wishes, I will give it away to him as a goodwill gift... Along with JJSoniq, who also contributes to the great ACK... And yes, Mr. Hopkins, I do love Ultima V, and I intend to do some primitive graphics like 1 and 2

Hail and fairwell

NV

Chris H

Update on the progress of v3.0

Post by Chris H »

Hi Nihil,

Yes, it's the same engine -- just extended here and there -- so it will definitely be able to run 2.x games. Combat difficulty might need to be re-tuned (the math has changed a little bit and some bugs fixed), but that's about it.

The programming on the new version is just about done, other than bug fixes here and there. Now I'm going through the old adventures and kits and updating them. (It's going to release with the same old tired sample games, for the most part -- revamping those is planned for 3.1 -- but I'd like at least the kits to be fully 3.0)

- Chris

Nihil Vulture

ACK3.X

Post by Nihil Vulture »

Hey there Chris!

Thanks for the update and telling me the important info I needed for a just incase enhancement! ^_^

Like I said before, I always wanted to do an Ultima style game, and here we are! Thanks again Chris, and keep on the good work! I eagerly await ACK3.X!!!

Take it easy

NV

Nihil Vulture

ACK3.X

Post by Nihil Vulture »

Oki, not trying to rush things... But I wants the ACK3.X, I cannot hold it any longer :-P Come on Chris and JJ, you killen me here with the suspense :-P

NV

jjsonick

Post by jjsonick »

Chris can give you full details on the extra goodies he's finishing up for 3.0, but here's a little screenshot of the Launcher and several editor/DOSBox windows launched from it:
http://www.mozomedia.com/ack/launcher.jpg

I can tell you, it will be soon!

JJ

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

That is good stuff. Can't wait.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Chris H

ACK 3.0 progress update

Post by Chris H »

Hi all,

I'm putting what I hope are the finishing touches on the kits and the code, and I'm hoping for a 3.0 release this weekend (assuming of course that it might be promptly followed by a 3.01 etc., if we find big new bugs introduced)

NV, since you seem familiar with the 2.x engine, here's what you'll find different:

Experience and levels
Improved day/night/darkness
More room for graphic tiles
Skins for the UI and for dialogues (allowing portraits)
Combat engine improved
Better music support (still CMF format, though -- similar to MIDI)
Wandering monsters that actually work
Custom palettes
More user-creatable key commands
Improvements to portals (allowing more macro-heavy things like moongates)
Improvements to vehicles (allowing macros to control boarding conditions)
Macros can toggle a "fly" mode, allowing things like flying over mountains or walking through walls
Much-improved macro support for intro sequences (you should see the intro for the Ultima parody I'm working on!) :)
An "Ultima" kit that is including as much as I can shovel into it; it's got most of the Ultima V tileset, some terrain objects, and much of the UIII through UVI music.

And I wrote walk-throughs and did some bug fixes for the bundled adventures. Lame as they may be, Caravan actually does some neat stuff once you get past the beginning. Unfortunately that wasn't possible before. :) Now it is.

- Chris

Nihil Vulture

I saw what Scott and JJ made, and I like, lots ^_^

Post by Nihil Vulture »

Wow, again, WOW, not World of Warcrap!

You two will be known as the Dynamic Duo from this point on, Scott H. and JJsonic, you have out done yourselves this time! Cannot wait till Saturday and/or Sunday ^_^

In otherwords, BRING IT ON! ^.^

Nihil Vulture

Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Who is Scott? :) But thanks for the compliments!

Two more last minute changes went in tonight:

More macro variables (a second set, A2 through Z2).
An "invisibility" mode.

Nihil Vulture

Sorry Chris

Post by Nihil Vulture »

I am sorry man, muh bad... A friend of mine passed away named Scott, and I some reason or another wrote his name as yours... But hell, we all make mistakes... eh Scott er Chris (joking) But yah, I am happy to hear about it! ^.^ Please keep me in the loop of info about your opus, Chris...

Jonesy, my BM is in need of work... I renamed it to BUER, which is the name of a demon with a spiral of cloven hooves and a lions head in the centre... BUER will play BM in the vein of old Graveland... like In The Glare of the Burning Churches... noisy BM, but it will rock hopefully...

NV / Sarg
(that's Sar-guh, as in German for Coffin, not Sar-jah, as in slang for Sergeant... I work for living, but not that much of a living.... I promised I never get mixed up in Military again... but that's another story ^_~)

Chris H

ACK 3.0

Post by Chris H »

Quick update: I do believe we're on target for releasing 3.0 this weekend. Unfortunately the kits won't be nearly as far along as I would have liked, but I'm happy with the documentation.

NV, I thought you might like an early peek at the new manual, so here's a link:

ACK 3.0 Manual

And some pictures:

Nihil Vulture

Thank you Chris

Post by Nihil Vulture »

That is awesome man, you are a great programmer... So what if your coding is sloppy.. So is mine And I use FreeBASIC Anyways, thanks again dude... :smile:

Sargh

Waiting for the ACK3.X to be released ^.^

Post by Sargh »

It's Sunday... And I never felt so good ^.^

Hopefully today both JJ and Chris will be releasing their opuses! I am psyched peeps ^.^

Usurper right now is still in the planning process...

One day I will bring forth the screen shots ^_^

Laters

Sargh (formally known as Nihil Vulture)

Sargh

Ima Waiting...

Post by Sargh »

I am stoaked, but also wondering if the 3.x is oki? I know sometimes tweeks to be done, and that code as to be stable, so take your time, Chris ^.^ I feel for you... Even myself, has a DarkBASIC problem... And it's a simple ROGUELIKE!!!!

I am supporting you and JJ

Take care

Sargh

Chris H

ACK 3.0

Post by Chris H »

Hi Sargh,

Yeah, the code is in good shape, as far as I can tell; the delay has been getting useful kit content put together. Joshua wrapped up the HISTORY and MODERN kits, and I'm just putting the finishing touches on the ULTIMA kit (some spells, weapons, and bestiary) at which point it will be ready to go -- should be this evening.

There will be a couple of new features that don't appear in the manual you have, but are in the final version: most notably a POISON setting, also a TOUCH macro for creatures; so now you can have poisonous swamp like in Ultima (you could before, with a tricky step macro; now it's much easier) and likewise you can now have snakes that poison you, gremlins that steal food, etc.

Sargh

ACK

Post by Sargh »

Thank you Chris, for your update... I cannot wait this evening ^.^

I dedicate Usurper to you, Chris... And you too JJ

You both are in my cool books

Sargh