Can I associate/attach objects, forming one big object?

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Garth's Equipment Shop

Can I associate/attach objects, forming one big object?

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Can I associate or attach two or more objects together to form one larger object that is treated in game as one object?

For example, instead of having a single icon to represent a tank what if I want to draw the picture of a tank using say six different icons that when put together look like a nice sized tank compared to the PC and other icons?

I would like the game to treat this group of six icons or objects as one or as parts of one large object so that they move together or so that when one is destroyed or attacked or interacted with they all are as one.

Is this already possible somehow or is this a feature request? If the later how serious or difficult a request is it? There would be many many other potential uses for this sort of feature as well of course.

I am making progress with my Metal Gear game [very nearly a clone of the original MSX game from Japan, but completely translated] but would love to be able to stick to the original game's larger proportions for tanks and big-bosses and such.

It would also be nice to be able to use two icons sideby side as well for items that require a slightly longer icon like for big long barreled guns as opposed to small arms and stuff like that.

Another application of this concept is traps. In the original MG game there are traps where a row of related tiles that extend across a room moves up and down or side to side across a room's floor so that the player must wait for it to pass and make a run for the door or lever or whatever and either get past or get back before the long moving obstacle comes back and kills the player.

One trap is a long rolling metal cylinder that can crush the player, another is like an arm of fire balls similar to those in Super Mario Bros.
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?

Garth's Equipment Shop

I noticed Macro 17: REARRANGE FURNITURE while looking over the macros in the Tutorial adventure and thought maybe something like that might allow me to simulate the traps I described. I might also be able to simulate a big tank or end level boss that way. I'm experimenting right now.

rld

Re: Can I associate/attach objects, forming one big object?

Post by rld »

Garth's Equipment Shop wrote: For example, instead of having a single icon to represent a tank what if I want to draw the picture of a tank using say six different icons that when put together look like a nice sized tank compared to the PC and other icons?

I would like the game to treat this group of six icons or objects as one or as parts of one large object so that they move together or so that when one is destroyed or attacked or interacted with they all are as one.
If you just have one spot on the multi-square creature that is vulnerable to player attacks, you can make that spot the actual creature. The rest of the creature could be made of obstacles. You can use map editing commands in the step macro to move your multi-square creature around each turn, and then when the "vulnerable spot" is destroyed, use map editing commands to delete the rest of the creature.

You could also use other stationary creatures for other parts of the multi-square creature (like guns/cannons), and allow these to be destroyed by the player as well. Using creature death macros, it would be possible to implement something like a giant tank that had cannons and a central core. The player would have to destroy the cannons first, and only then would the core be made vulnerable.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Wow thanks man, those are kick ass ideas! Definitely going to use them.