Music at 8bitcollective

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

rld

Music at 8bitcollective

Post by rld »

I thought someone had mentioned this on the top Jolt Country blog page, but I can't find it now. Just noting in case anyone hasn't checked it out yet...

8bitcollective (8bc.org) is an excellent source for music for "retro-style" games like ACK games, and a lot of the music is in the "80s-style RPG" vein anyway, so it is definitely worth taking a look at if you are not planning to compose your game music yourself. It's chiptune-synthesized music, so most of it is reminiscent of 80s/90s game systems from NES on up. Lots of excellent, excellent stuff on there.

The best part is that they enforce a consistent license for uploaded files (Creative Commons) so you can use anything from the site for noncommercial games as long as you include a link to the artist's page in your game distribution.

One that I found there is a cover of the Portal 'Still Alive' ending song in 8-bit style; this almost makes me want to do some sort of ACK rehash of Portal just so I could play this over the ending messages/credits:

https://8bc.org/music/Scaliper/Portal-S ... +Cover%29/

scaliper

Post by scaliper »

Well I just saw this and wanted to say thank you for sharing my work :) I am glad you like it!

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Hi Scaliper, 8bit seems to be down at the moment, but im adding the fb 8bitcollective group to the ack fb page and when that link works again ill feature it on there as well.

joebonk

Post by joebonk »

i'm using wayback machine to get to it.

_won't let me download_

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Wayback machine is awesome isn't it!? Although, quite often it just teases me with only an index page with a bunch of dead links when I find some site that used to host a bunch of old files I didn't keep backups of or didn't think could disappear forever. [Now I download and backup anything I like that is one of a kind or rare!]

rld, did you happen to DL it before it went poof? Or let us know if you find a copy/link of it somewhere else.

EDIT July 18th 2013 After this long I dont think its coming back. Last tweet about it:
8bitcollective ‏@8bitcollective 4 Apr 12 wrote:
Dear friends, asking us when the site is coming back is a fruitless endeavour, as we have no more information than you at this moment...
EDIT 2 - Found a torrent of 8bitcollective tunes:

Best of 8 Bit Collective Chiptunes (8bc) [06/2006 - 06/2011]

Torrent Description:

Five years of 8bc. ( https://8bc.org/ )

These are all songs on 8bc that had 10 or more favorites on 2011-06-17.

All of these files are licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ ).

THIS TORRENT IS 100% LEGAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL! (How awesome is that?)

scaliper

;)

Post by scaliper »

I found it I know it's like another year but I'm transferring to a new pc