Getting / Dropping Vehicles (strange bug?)

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Admiral Ackguh

Getting / Dropping Vehicles (strange bug?)

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

"I heard of pickup trucks, but this is ridiculous!"

In at least some games, it is sometimes possible to Get and Drop vehicles. The vehicles do not show up in the Inventory, but they do show up in the list of items to Drop. I have no idea why this can be done sometimes but not other times.

This could be a bug, or an oversight, or an intentional feature. After all, one can carry small enough vehicle such as a skateboard or scooter.

Right now, I use the step macro to check INV[] for all (large) vehicles, and set INV[] to zero, and MAPADD the vehicle with a "It's too heavy" message. That prevents lifting them; but I can't find an easy way to place the vehicle in the same square it was taken from.

Has anyone else run into this feature/bug?

Tdarcos

Re: Getting / Dropping Vehicles (strange bug?)

Post by Tdarcos »

Admiral Ackguh wrote:"I heard of pickup trucks, but this is ridiculous!"

In at least some games, it is sometimes possible to Get and Drop vehicles. The vehicles do not show up in the Inventory, but they do show up in the list of items to Drop. I have no idea why this can be done sometimes but not other times.

This could be a bug, or an oversight, or an intentional feature. After all, one can carry small enough vehicle such as a skateboard or scooter.

Right now, I use the step macro to check INV[] for all (large) vehicles, and set INV[] to zero, and MAPADD the vehicle with a "It's too heavy" message. That prevents lifting them; but I can't find an easy way to place the vehicle in the same square it was taken from.

Are you sure this is a function of Hugo? My understanding is that the "static" attribute is used to represent an object that cannot be taken.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:

Are you sure this is a function of Hugo? My understanding is that the "static" attribute is used to represent an object that cannot be taken.
Sweet hopping Christ.

WRONG BASE, CHUBS!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:

Sweet hopping Christ.

WRONG BASE, CHUBS!
You have to be clearer. I don't understand. He asked a question about Hugo. If he's wrong. you're supposed to respond to his message.

Otherwise, explain to me - in a manner in which a normal human being can understand - how I am supposed to know that I'm in the wrong base. Your comment makes no sense as you're telling me that answering his message was in the wrong base, and how the fuck am I supposed to know this?

You're getting to be an irritating son-of-a-bitch for your comments that don't inform, but just criticize.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The name of this base is Adventure Creation Kit. I agree that Ben's rudeness is uncalled for, but it does say what base it is on the screen. Ben is a monster-person.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

You have to be clearer. I don't understand. He asked a question about Hugo.
HE DID NOT ASK A QUESTION ABOUT HUGO.

HE ASKED A QUESTION ABOUT ACK.

THIS IS THE ACK BASE.

THIS IS NOT THE HUGO BASE.

ARE YOUR COLORS SET TO RED ON BLACK??!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:The name of this base is Adventure Creation Kit. I agree that Ben's rudeness is uncalled for, but it does say what base it is on the screen. Ben is a monster-person.
Okay, I made a mistake, and that's what Pinhead should have said. All Pinhead had to do was either say, "This isn't the Hugo forum" or say "This is the Adventure Creation Kit forum, not Hugo," and he would not only have raised his own stature by simply saying the right thing in the right way, he wouldn't have confused me. I thought I was reading another Hugo posting. And that's all he would have had to say.

Why is it (some) people can't just do things in a simple, easy fashion, they immediately go for hard, mean, stupid and cruel? I guess that's the way Pinback is.

I mean, he did rape one of my posts once when I was trying to save the Starcraft Base. He never did say if he liked or disliked my Pulp Fiction analogy.

R E A L I T Y C H E C K

Post by R E A L I T Y C H E C K »

www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2 wrote:Jolt Country Forum Index -> Adventure Creation Kit

Admiral Ackguh

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

Yes, my post was about Adventure Creation Kit, or ACK. Excuse my ignorance, but what is "Hugo", another name for ACK, or something completely different?

- A:A:

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

It's something completely different. Hugo is a language for writing text adventures (like Zork). We have another base devoted to it here on joltcountry.com.

rld

Post by rld »

Getting back to the original question....

It appears from the code that a check is made to prevent the player picking up vehicles in worldmap regions, but not in room type regions.

So, a player would be able to pick up a vehicle, but only in a room region. Is this what you are seeing?

Admiral Ackguh

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

rld wrote:So, a player would be able to pick up a vehicle, but only in a room region. Is this what you are seeing?
Yep.

In my WIP game, nearly all the regions are room-type; which is why I'm picking up the room-related bugs.

- A:A:

rld

Post by rld »

This should be fixed in the v0.8 patch.