max feature listing?

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Mr Goofy

max feature listing?

Post by Mr Goofy »

Hey everyone,

Do you have any max feature listing for ACK?

Id like a listing of all the max features ACK has Ive found some in the book but thought it would be nice to have a listing of all of them if it is avaiable. Some examples would be:
world map max size 240 x 240 or advanced 256 x 256
world map window 11 x 11
long message window 32 x 22 good to know if your making a scroll or map using ASCII characters for players.
max room size for a region 16 x 11

I know I had a listing like this for ACS and they had a lot of that info in their manual back in the day .....
how many regions can you have? rooms per region? How many creatures? etc.... I know I can find this in the manual but wondered if anyone has composed a listing of all this information in one place already? I am doing that now to know the upper limits of the system.

Id hate to be covering ground thats already been walked on if you know what I mean.
plenty of time to sleep when I am dead ... till then lets party!

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

There is a thread somewhere in this pile of threads that covers it I'm sure of it. Not sure if you want to read through them all to find it though, I know I don't. Reading the manual would be much easier. :P

Mr Goofy

Post by Mr Goofy »

Ok found most of the info in the manual except the following:

How many NPC's & items in a room region and world map?

how many ony way portals can you have? ACS I know had a limit on this?

Garth's Equipment Shop

Ok I asked Chris on facebook and got his response to this.
I can't get on the forum easily from my phone, but almost every data structure uses one-byte parameters for memory reasons (this was a dos program after all) and 0 (and sometimes 255) often have special significance, so you can assume 254 for a lot of things:

One way portals per region (with an "edge" counting as one)
Items/vehicles on the ground in a scrolling map (room maps use a different data structure and don't have that limit)
Dialogues, long/short messages
Active NPCs on the ground active in a scrolling map (wandering monster possibilities are a different table - up to 64 per region and when they spawn, they add to the active list)
Objects
Macros (lines per macro is 99)

16x16 chunks in a world map max at 255 (and a 256x256 map would require 256 chunks, that's why you can do it but end up with a 16x16 chunk missing from one corner)

Can you please share on the joltcountry thread? Thanks!

Mr Goofy

Thanks

Post by Mr Goofy »

Thanks thats a big help!!!

please thank Chris too if you get the chance not only for a wonderful program but the update on the max amounts. I don't think I would create anything that elaborate but it is nice to know what paramaters you are working within. ACS had a lot more restrictions I figured ACK had more amounts but I also knew there had to be some kind of limit. Awesome now if I get some time maybe I can design ;)

Garth's Equipment Shop

Re: Thanks

Your thanks has been delivered, verbatim. :) It would be awesome to see something, ANYthing, from you made in ACK. We have been in kind of a rut with everyone so busy with work and the mundane daily routine stuff we are all required to perform to earn our keep and not wear out our welcome wherever we lay our heads and call home. I have a number of projects on the back burner awaiting completion. One is nearly finished and has been for a year or two, I just keep getting sidetracked from it. :( Well, heres to all of us finding the time and inspiration to finish something we've started. *lifts coffee mug*
Mr Goofy wrote:Thanks thats a big help!!!

please thank Chris too if you get the chance not only for a wonderful program but the update on the max amounts. I don't think I would create anything that elaborate but it is nice to know what paramaters you are working within. ACS had a lot more restrictions I figured ACK had more amounts but I also knew there had to be some kind of limit. Awesome now if I get some time maybe I can design ;)

rld

Re: max feature listing?

Post by rld »

Mr Goofy wrote: world map max size 240 x 240 or advanced 256 x 256
world map window 11 x 11
long message window 32 x 22 good to know if your making a scroll or map using ASCII characters for players.
max room size for a region 16 x 11

I know I had a listing like this for ACS and they had a lot of that info in their manual back in the day .....
how many regions can you have? rooms per region? How many creatures?
The world map window is actually 11 tiles horizontal by 9 vertical (although the manual says 11x11, this is not the case as can be seen from screenshots).

You can have up to 16 rooms defined in a room-type region. These can all be different sizes but must fit in the region's 'room editor' screen. Unfortunately, this screen is JUST small enough that you can't quite fit in the full 16 rooms (at the maximum 16x11 size) in a 4x4 grid, which would seem to be an obvious choice for a dungeon or town type map.

Other notes:

1) In a room region, you can enter a name for each room, but these names will only be displayed if the room is smaller than the maximum 11 tile height.

2) If you use the mosaic feature to display animations/cut scenes, be aware that any room (in a room-type region) that you use this with must be an even number of tiles wide (16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2) for the mosaic to line up properly with the room tiles.

3) As is stated in the manual, you can stack terrain in room-type regions, but not world-map type regions.

4) Because the two region types are implemented differently, there are certain bugs and glitches that show up in room-type regions but work ok in worldmap-type regions, and vice versa.