Adventure Creation Kit Quick Reference [WIP]

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Garth's Equipment Shop

Adventure Creation Kit Quick Reference [WIP]

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

I've been working on converting the manual over to multiple interlinked html pages designed for superior readability via browser and for ease of adding new pages and links and things. Started out doing it for my own use but now I think it may be useful to others so I'm sharing it. Here is link to the main page. The whole site is working fine from dropbox so unless someone wishes to host it on their site I see no reason to waste money on a domain and hosting for it. Also we can easily collaborate on it via dropbox so that's a plus too.

Adventure Creation Kit Quick Reference

custom tiny url:
http://tinyurl.com/adventure-creation-kit

As I said it is still a work in progress so I plan to further streamline some things in it and perhaps break things up into more individual pages so you can quickly get all the most useful info on a specific subject without all the distracting clutter getting in the way and I'll be providing pdf downloads of each page for easy printing when I feel a page has grown enough to warrant it. Or if there are useful charts or lists you might want hard copies of, ill make pdfs of those as well.

I'd especially like some feedback on the bitwise ops page. I know the nooby intro part at the top needs proper formatting but otherwise are there any corrections I need or improvements?
Bitwise Ops Page

I'll also be adding pages for tile collections and any ACK games that are available and a page full of useful macros and objects. Any other suggestions?
Last edited by Garth's Equipment Shop on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rld

Re: Adventure Creation Kit Quick Reference [WIP]

Post by rld »

Garth's Equipment Shop wrote:I've been working on converting the manual over to multiple interlinked html pages designed for superior readability via browser and for ease of adding new pages and links and things. Started out doing it for my own use but now I think it may be useful to others so I'm sharing it. Here is link to the main page. The whole site is working fine from dropbox so unless someone wishes to host it on their site I see no reason to waste money on a domain and hosting for it. Also we can easily collaborate on it via dropbox so that's a plus too.

Adventure Creation Kit Quick Reference

As I said it is still a work in progress so I plan to further streamline some things in it and perhaps break things up into more individual pages so you can quickly get all the most useful info on a specific subject without all the distracting clutter getting in the way and I'll be providing pdf downloads of each page for easy printing when I feel a page has grown enough to warrant it. Or if there are useful charts or lists you might want hard copies of, ill make pdfs of those as well.

I'd especially like some feedback on the bitwise ops page. I know the nooby intro part at the top needs proper formatting but otherwise are there any corrections I need or improvements?
Bitwise Ops Page

I'll also be adding pages for tile collections and any ACK games that are available and a page full of useful macros and objects. Any other suggestions?
All of this looks great, and this would be excellent content to copy over to the 80sgaming.org site once you are able to get access.

Any chance that you can get set up as a moderator on this list so you can do sticky posts?

Garth's Equipment Shop

ill ask ICJ

EDIT: Request sent. I asked him to make at least one of us mod if not both. Would be nice if we could organize all the posts in the ACK subforum better and like you said sticky the most important ones. Would be nice to have an archives child forum or subfolder of the main ACK forum to put all the really old threads so they aren't cluttering up the main forum.

Garth's Equipment Shop

The Quick Reference Archive has grown pretty enormous in terms of how many pages and sub pages there are. You may need to clear your cache if it saves pages and doesn't update to the new ones. It's to the point now where I need some help with how to better organize the Index page. Any ideas?

The initial main menu of links to all the other main pages is a bit too long for a simple list. I need to come up with some way to better organize it and present the links either in some sort of table format that makes use of horizontal as well as verticle space with padding around each to clearly set them apart, or perhaps use icons or buttons to represent the categories. Perhaps some of them could be grouped together into a new category which takes you to that categories own page of links or icons.

Please help with your feedback. I am a bit overwhelmed as far as which way to go from here. Thanks!

Garth's Equipment Shop

Tons of updates at the Quick Reference Site. I have been scouring the forum threads here for anything that should probably be added to the Site. I added all of Chris's ACK update notes into its own archive pages. Same for all of rld's megapatch update logs. Started adding work in progress pages for any WIPs i could find. A few more to go on that.

Finally started adding tilesets. I noticed all the links in the thread I started for Nethack tiles way back when are all broken. So I made the nethack resource page my first tileset page. You can get to it from a link in the Gallery section. Or this link. Nethack Resource Page