How many finished ACK games are there?

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

I get message Adventure cannot be found when I try to launch these from the launcher.

elvisT

Post by elvisT »

That's odd. Those zips are of the adventure folder which are located in the folder marked games in ACK resources. I'm not sure what file(s) could be missing as I made no attempt to package those as standalones other than manually deleting my save game files. I'll use the importer menu to delete my save and rezip the files then upload this afternoon. They should be available after 11am cst at the same download location as before.

If anyone else has a suggestion I'd be glad to hear it.

I'm sorry these aren't working. When you looked in the folders did you see the game files? Maybe the zip was corrupt? I use a Mac running OS x 10.5 but that shouldn't matter.

elvisT

Post by elvisT »

Okay, I don't know that it'll make a difference, but I opened the games in the launcher and using IMPORT/EXPORT I deleted the save games. I then opened my ACK folder and navigated to the GAMES folder and manually copied the two game folders out and onto my desktop. This resulted in having 2 folders, ULTIMA2 and ULTIMAEX, on my desktop. I zipped each of these individually and uploaded them to my work website ovewriting the previous 2 zips. I then dragged the folders ULTIMA2 and ULTIMAEX out of my GAMES folder and put them into another location on my hard drive. I then downloaded the zips (I had just uploaded) to my hard drive from the website and unzipped them. I then dragged these newly created folders into the GAMES folder within ACK. Using the launcher I selected the adventure(s) and then hit 'Run Adventure' and each one worked.

So, hopefully they're okay to go. Otherwise I am at a loss, unless someone else can help explain what I am doing wrong.

The only other thing I can think of, is that since I am on a mac (and assuming you're on a PC) you might try opening the folders and deleting anyfile that begins with a "." in the filename. Like ".DS_STORE" or ".RECYCLE" These are hidden files on my system and tend to get created whenever I create or access a volume, I can't see them to delete them, but on a PC they would stand out like a sore thumb at the top of the directory. The existence of those shouldn't matter but they could be screwing things up for all I know.

Please let me know if any of this works out for you, and I'll keep searching for a solution provided I get more info as to what could be happening.

@rld Did the this happen to you as well?

elvisT

Post by elvisT »

You might find this helpful as well. I don't want to leave this video up for too long, but I've recorded a screengrab video of me downloading ACK 3.2 onto my dad's laptop at his house and then downloading the files I supplied earlier into ACK and running them. It worked, but he and I are both running macs.

Here is the vid:

I hope to become a member of this community as I love working with the tool, and don't want anyone to think I'm wasting their time or up to no good. I am also genuinely curious as to what people will think. So hopefully the vid helps and I'll just pull it down after I know you've seen it.

Garth's Equipment Shop

You shall be accepted into the hallowed innermost chamber of castle ACK when you complete this quest. You must create a video tutorial demonstrating the basic steps of creating your first simple ACK adventure! :D (sorry couldnt resist a bit of trolling myself lol)

Honestly though I think you underestimate just how absurdly laid back this community really is. I seriously doubt anyone suspected you of trolling. I actually would be happy to learn that our little obscure nook of cyberspace frozen in a time of nearly forgotten gaming history actually garnered enough attention out there to be troll-worthy. ;)

Though i was only teasing in that first paragraph and you have nothing to prove in order to be welcome here it would indeed be epic if you actually did create a video tut for ACK. Even with out of sync sound and rapid mumbling for narration I would lay a year's worth of gold coin on a Bard's bar tab for him to sing your praises throughout the land.

EDIT: I was in a rush when I tried them the other day, as well as being exausted. Just found out what was wrong now that I had time to take a closer look. When I unpacked the archives 7zip put the folder within a folder so that the folder ACK was trying to load was actually empty since it only looks one folder deep for the game. Its fixed now. Sorry to worry you.
Last edited by Garth's Equipment Shop on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Probably a random encounter but there was a wizard nearby when i had just started playing and he seemed rather OP if you ask me. He had ranged magic attacks that did up to 9 dmg per shot and ofcourse every move i made gave him another attack while all i had was a dagger so had to get close. I used up my healing pot on the way to him, and was down to a few hp when i was finally able to fight back at close range. The dagger wasnt very effective against him either.

I didn't let that get me down though. I respawned at the castle and found the magic shop where i bought a magic missile and then set out to find an armory or weapon smith. I didn't find them but I did run across some funny locations like the "Weds While You Wait" chapel and McDonalds lol. Now im too sleepy to continue, so ill comment more tomarrow.

elvisT

Post by elvisT »

Lol! I'm glad you got it working, I'm also glad to hear that there was no suspicion of my motives. (I'll even look into doing some tutorials!) I just remember thinking, "what a way to start off introducing yourself!"

Yeah, I think game balance is going to be a serious issue for these: ridiculously hard at first and then somewhat easy at the higher levels. There'll be other stuff that'll need my attention, but hopefully it'll be playable. :P

Thanks for helping me feel welcome. I'll start a new thread and post my Ultima I redesign once its ready.