"set graphic later" mode ???!??

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

jupider

"set graphic later" mode ???!??

Post by jupider »

I started a new topic about this here because I didn't want my original topic to be hijacked.

In "The Official ACK Manual" there is a short blurb pertaining to tilesets that states, "Secondary tiles are used to animate terrain or creatures, or for spaces or obstacles that are set in “set graphic later” mode."

What and/or where exactly is this "set graphic later" mode??

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

From the Launcher select the Game your working on and then Edit Objects. Press F2 to get object category selection dialog and use arrow to switch to a space or object you want to edit or press F3 and create new preset space or obstacle object. While on the object edit dialog window press G to change the graphic icon of the object. But instead of choosing a graphic tile look to the bottom of the window and you will see the last option is "P - Set Graphic On Use."

---------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^

If P is pressed the graphic field will look like this:

Then while you are in the map editor and you set one of the map editing keys to this object with the set on use enabled you will find that each time you place it on the map it will ask you to choose the tile it will use (from the secondary set).

jupider

Post by jupider »

Sweet! This is *EXACTLY* what I need for making an obscene amount of terrain tiles. Of course, it'll take twice as long to create maps, but at least it lets me use the "Secondary" tileset for terrain instead of "Normal"!!

jupider

Post by jupider »

Nope. Nevermind. False alarm. The graphics glitch out when using a transparent mask on the player's icon. When you walk over the tile that has been set as "set graphic later" then your player's icon appears over the smiley-face "default" icon. And then when you walk off of the "set graphic later" tile, your player's icon becomes a solid black square. Similar things happen even if you don't use transparency. Oh well, back to the drawing board, I guess...

joebonk

Post by joebonk »

Too bad. I found the same thing. On the other hand it does allow for more obstacle room.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

rld was talking about adding the ability to hotswap whole tilesets using his megapatch a while back. If its been implimented maybe that would help?

EDIT: I think thats a work in progress still.

Hot-swapping graphic tiles w/replacement tiles

Oh yeah and this one could help too when he gets it implimented.

Non-takeable 'prop' objects