Egads...

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

jupider

Egads...

Post by jupider »

So I've been scouring the interwebs for "alternatives" to ACK's dated interface and, not finding anything "free" online, I did happen to run across an old copy of an RPG Maker 2003 install I had burned onto a CD several years ago.
Wow.
I have to say that I am happy for ACK's simplicity compared to 2k3. Aside from the macros, I would have to say that ACK is fairly straightforward in design and setup. 2k3 on the other hand is extremely convoluted and complex. I really don't think I'll be switching over to any other program any time soon. Unless a program comes around that can actually scan my thoughts and create the game from what it reads. Don't see that happening any time soon.
I think I'm an ACKer for life.

ishtenos

Post by ishtenos »

Ditto.

For me, ACK's draw is that it is such a strong evolution of what ACS was. I spent countless hours with that on my C64, and ACK scratches that itch well.

Besides, in my humble opinion, the old Ultima/Wasteland style cRPGs are something sorely lacking in the current retro trends, and ACK is perfect for those.

Admiral Ackguh

Re: Egads...

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

jupider wrote:I would have to say that ACK is fairly straightforward in design and setup. 2k3 on the other hand is extremely convoluted and complex. I really don't think I'll be switching over to any other program any time soon.
RPG Maker 2003 ... It had too much of what I didn't need, and not enough of what I did, to put it simply. RM2K focuses too much on graphics and animation, and combat tactics, and different types of damage. IIRC, is also had no equivalent of step macros. It is also poorly documented.

Does anyone remember DCGAMES?
- A:A:

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

I'm with you guys. I have searched and searched and searched and tried everything I could find that showed any promise for creating retro crpgs and ACK seems to be the only one that isn't a massive time sink. I've been away a while kind of taking break and busy doing other things, but I want to make more time for my ACK projects again.

ishtenos

Post by ishtenos »

The other tools I've played with are RPGMaker VX Ace and GameMaker Studio.

Ace I really liked from the perspective that it does give you plenty of options and ease of use, but the game style clearly favors JRPGs - which is the purpose. As much as I enjoy using it, over time I discovered my real interest is working on the old Ultima/Wasteland school of design.

GameMaker is great, but to create something along the lines of what ACK does takes a greater understanding of programming concepts than I currently have. I've built a rudimentary turn-based engine, but it's slow going and will possibly take years to yield any real result.

All that being said, ACK is simply the best tool I'm aware of for what I want to do, outside of building a new engine. It's easy to work with, stable, and is full of options. That's saying a lot for software created to work under DOS back in the 90's.