My Challenge to this area

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

ishtenos

Post by ishtenos »

Garth's Equipment Shop wrote:Understood, I've felt the same way and tried other more powerful game authoring tools myself. Maybe its just me but I found all of them to be more not less time and effort demanding than ACK. I had to take an honest look at my game development history and realize that if I didn't have enough time to invest in finishing a game in something as simple as ACK there was just no way I was going to do it in a newer more feature rich game authoring kit. The more features there are, the more options I have to choose from, the longer it will take me.

I've also realized I need to reign in my visions a bit if I'm going to finish anything. This doesn't mean I am permanently disabling my vision or dream of the ultimate adventure, you can't really stop dreams or visions when you have them. I'm just taking a more realistic approach to inspiration and goal setting.

I must face the fact that I am no Richard Garriott. That if I haven't created my Akalabeth by now it's just not in the cards for me. I'm only like a decade younger than Lord British I think and he had his first full length adventure Akalabeth complete by the time he was 18. So yeah, I must be far more patient with myself and my meager abilities than I would expect the world to be with someone like Mr. Garriott.
I've read that it's often a difference in sheer will power/determination between people who complete projects (like Richard Garriott) and those of us who strive, but end up with partially finished creations. I believe this, at least to some extent. I find, at least for myself, the other component is a matter of momentum - once I'm going, I do well, until something sidetracks me. Starting up again is the issue.

Never have had a shortage of ideas, but executing them? Nope, just doesn't happen.
~Ishtenos
@Roaming Cactus

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Okay, it's been almost a year. Has anyone finished a game?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

ishtenos

Post by ishtenos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Okay, it's been almost a year. Has anyone finished a game?
Gawd I suck.

Joebonked

Post by Joebonked »

It is important for support and public to see completed games. On the other hand, as long as we keep at the ACK editor and keep making our games then at least the ball keeps rolling. In my game I found an exquisite way to do maps that caused me to delete the first 50 maps I had already made. Since we can hack new tile sets, I remade all towns on one giant world map. This allows for so much more maps to use for other purposes. And so I would be finishing up the last details if not for that. But now I have (happily( tons more maps available to make. I was at map 92 when I decided to delete 1 through 52 to consolidate them. Now I can do even more for the game. Compared to a typical Ultima game from the 80s, mine, as far as hours of game play, will be 10 times more. My only concern now is conserving the dialogues to allow for the so many different worlds the player will visit, and the many time zones they will visit. (Ultima 2 time zones where what date you were presently in). Mostly lots of fun and never ending story lines. MAcros really can add a great deal of task when they can trigger events and map altercations. I think personally, my greatest challenge is to resist the urge to make a new macro event that can redefine the whole game. ACK is just great.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

I get inspired to do a little more work on one or more of my old projects everytime i read one of your posts Joe. Keep up the great work. And ishtenos take comfort in knowing that I feel the same way about myself and my cherished but unfinished ACK adventures. And I'm sure we aren't alone in our broken dreams.
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?