Repository for the glib, inane, insipid, etc.

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Please note, I am not trolling, I am legitimately asking this question because I wonder if you caught the significance or if it was just coincidence.
joebonk wrote: 1) The Recounting Of The Ages

In the beginning the realm was shadowed in darkness. There was no light to find the way of the journeying soul. These were hard times for the sage. And magic would not yield it's secrets to man.
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep."
- Genesis 1:1-2
But then a bright and driven wizard had forged the crystal. This wizard was Mondain. A master of control. And the crystal was the focal point of countless realms. Magic and power collided on this gem and no other in the universe could harness such control as did Mondain.
"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven."
- Genesis 1:3-8
The darkness subsided. Now it was clear for all who sought the path of magic and who wanted to become a wizard. This was the dawn of the true age of enlightenment. Magic did not require the confinements of base materials, and the either flowed freely through the land of Sosaria...
This reminds me of the "kick Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden" story.

So, is this just coincidence or was there some intent to put a little bit of biblical story interconnection? I mean, as soon as I read it, it stuck out as a clearly religious parable like a sore thumb. And I'm an agnostic!
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

joebonk

Post by joebonk »

Oh, Here is the post. I wondered where it went. It's actually about illumination. For a long time Knowledge and Light were used together symbolically, Knowledge, like light, lights the way. And the silly part was that in Ultima the age of enlightenment came only after magic was confined to "Circles" and magic could only be cast with base materials. Yet before, during the first 3 Ultimas magic could be cast without these constraints. Also a council of Mages was formed to regulate who could cast what spell and when. So which really is the age of enlightenment and which really is the age of darkness?

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Even with Tdarcos laying them down side by side like that they still did not strike me as being so similar as to jump out at me as he described. There wasn't nearly enough similarity to warrant starting up a whole thread about it. I had intentionally left it to die and hoped no one would feed the troll who really just wants an excuse to get into long winded discussions or debates about anything but the actual subject of this subforum.

Normally I say go for it, talk about whatever you feel like talking about here, as I've said elsewhere there are no rules here (because so far we haven't needed any) but I probably should have clarified the one exception when I said post anything here, that exception being Tdarcos. This is only because in the entire history of this subforum I cannot recall a single post by Tdarcos that actually contributed anything even remotely ACK related at all.

Quite the contrary, every post is an obvious attempt to change the subject to something clearly not ACK related. Not just a few of his posts, not just every other one, EVERY SINGLE ONE! And on top of that he stated flat out that he never even tried ACK and never intended to.

Why I even bothered to list him in the ACK community directory I'll probably never know. I guess in a moment of weakness I thought maybe it would encourage him to actually try ACK after all these years. Anyway, he's the resident troll of Jolt Country. Just ignore him. Unless your bored and want something to play with. He makes a great chew toy.

If he was attempting to analyze an adventure I was working on and asking questions about it, I would simply say, no spoilers pal, you'll just have to bite the bullet and download the adventure and actually play it.
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?