Finsihed my Ultima 1 remake

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

elvisT

Finsihed my Ultima 1 remake

Post by elvisT »

Hi all. So it took a little longer to get my Ultima 1 to a finished beta than I thought, but ti's done. It could probably use some debugging or tweaking, but I think it's complete enough to share here. This marks the end of my Ultima: Trilogy of Darkness Tribute/Reworking. It's probably my favorite as I was able to be incredibly faithful to the oriiginal games, but add even more of my own ideas to it as it was even more of a blank slate than the others. I hope ya'll dig it.

A few notes: Unlike my other 2 remakes, this one requires you to have food to travel. All of the original Ultima games did this so I decided to go ahead and include it in this one. If you travel without food, you will starve. Unlike the original Ultima 1 though, starvation is not instant death. You will gradually starve to death until you eat: ala Ultima3. Traveling by Transport can mitigate the need for food.

The difficulty is very high at low levels: like the others. Dungeoneering at low levels is especially dangerous. Dungeons are meant to be hard here. The dangers are great, but the rewards are greater. I don't mean that as a cliche: if you can actually survive a dungeon run, you will come out wealthy and loaded for bear. Also, leveling and building up your characters' stats work in this exactly as they did in the original game. So if you are unfamiliar with that system… you'll need to explore the world a bit. Just earning XP won't turn you into a powerhouse alone.

If you're stuck, you can ask me anything on these forums. If you can find a pdf of the original's game manuals, each of my remakes is faithful enough that they might be some help to you if you need it. With my U3 being the least faithful, and this one being the most (the original game had so little story, that I was able to expand it greatly without changing much).

The original game had a LOT of locations. Richard Garriott just recycled towns over and over again to accomplish this. I have recreated each location in the game faithfully, and rather than recycle, I have altered/added new maps to keep the world feeling huge. Each Shopkeeper in the game had a unique name, I too have kept this convention, with the exception of the grocers. Each location should feel distinct, while still being completely faithful to the original.

That should about cover it. I hope you guys enjoy it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckkwmdvu6cv52 ... 1.zip?dl=0

Cheers,
elvisT

Admiral Ackguh

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

So far, it looks great.

Which mega-patch version is needed to run it?
- A:A:

elvisT

Post by elvisT »

Thanks! I think I used version 0.8, but it's been ages since I installed it. Any version should work though, as I used none of the features of the patch itself. I installed it because of the enemy "Touch Macro" bug, where enemy touch macros never run. Installing rld's mega-patch inherently fixes that bug. In fact, running the game without the patch installed at all, runs fine except that enemies never use their special attacks on you… which I guess is actually a good thing in one sense.

Admiral Ackguh

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

elvisT wrote:I think I used version 0.8, but it's been ages since I installed it. Any version should work though, as I used none of the features of the patch itself. I installed it because of the enemy "Touch Macro" bug, where enemy touch macros never run.
It needs Version 0.7 or later.

Not only should it have working touch macros, but also creature transformation. I checked MACRO.TXT, and Macro 79 (rescue princess) has the line

DRAW 999 305 TO 48 80 OF 0 0

to change creature type 48 to 80. (Princess-evil to chaperone-good.)
- A:A:

aron123

Post by aron123 »

Thanks for share...

elvisT

Post by elvisT »

I'm sorry about the misinformation. The error was due to my ignorance alone. I wasn't trying to be lazy, I mistakenly thought that command was from the vanilla release of ACK. Thank you for clearing it up, and taking the time to educate me. I do appreciate it.

You're welcome for the share! I don't know anybody locally who enjoys playing stuff like this, and it's fun to get feedback on it.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Downloaded!

EDIT: Welcome aron123!
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?