WIP: Doctor Who

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Admiral Ackguh

WIP: Doctor Who

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

How about it?

An ACK game based on Doctor Who.

These are just some early screen shots.

Here's the basic plot:

And some maps:

- A:A:

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Looks cool. Interesting!

Tdarcos

Re: WIP: Doctor Who

Post by Tdarcos »

Admiral Ackguh wrote:
How about it?
Okay, what do you do if the BBC finds out about it? What is their stand about fan works?

Paramount Pictures, for example, has been pretty open about fan works of Star Trek that don't make money, but has seen fit to drop the hammer on what looks like a potentially large film that was set up through crowdfunding.

The Beeb may not care or they may not like the idea. Now, if you're just going to release something and not make any money off of it, it probably doesn't matter, but it's something you should be aware of, just in case.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Admiral Ackguh

Re: WIP: Doctor Who

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

Tdarcos wrote:
Admiral Ackguh wrote:
How about it?
Okay, what do you do if the BBC finds out about it? What is their stand about fan works?
I haven't seen any official statement. But judging from the huge quantity of non-profit fan material on the Web, and earlier printed works - they are tolerant about it.
Paramount Pictures, for example, has been pretty open about fan works of Star Trek that don't make money, but has seen fit to drop the hammer on what looks like a potentially large film that was set up through crowdfunding.

The Beeb may not care or they may not like the idea. Now, if you're just going to release something and not make any money off of it, it probably doesn't matter, but it's something you should be aware of, just in case.
Any ACK games I make based on Doctor Who will be 100% free.

I know that the BBC and the Terry Nation estate had issues with the FASA DW Role Playing game in the 1980s, and IIRC ultimately pressured FASA to drop Doctor Who. FASA was publishing DW material for profit, of course. Consider also the BBC now is very different than it was in the 1980s and 1990s....

Thanks for bringing awareness of the issue.
- A:A:

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Look forward to playing this!
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?